Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2010, 13:34   #46

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I learned about Raff's problem after reading his tale posted to the FOGgers and the PPJ. I wasn't going to copy his tale here because I thought it was his tale to tell, but since Raff made it public domain I guess it doesn't matter now.

On some boats where the shaft exits the hull it's easy to get to, but not on the Islander Freeport 36 and maybe the IF-38C too. It's a long reach just to get a hand on this area (deep bilge), and not something a person wants to attend to when it's underwater.

I'm getting ready to have a bottom paint job done on our boat, along with the updating of the PSS shaft seal (we have the old version of undetermined age). Now I really want to change out the PSS along with installing a high water alarm!
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 14:05   #47
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Yep...those were the two of the last three things we did before leaving on our cruise. We installed new shaft log, high water alarm system with alarms for raw water flow rate, engine temp, oil pressure and fire. We also installed spurs for Mexican waters which were a must have item as well. If Mike had those three items performed before he left the States, I bet he'd be in OZ drinking a beer on Aquila right now.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 14:49   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
You mean like this one I have installed shown in the picture?

Well, it is electric and relies on an electric float switch. Electric components on boats tend to fail more often than anything else on the boat especially when they are not used much...like an alarm. Yes I have one, but I would not count on it to work.
Out of curiosity, how often have you experienced a false alarm? As a practical matter, many seemed to have simply unplugged the audible alarm so them don't have to listen to it. (Kind like a car alarm, goes off enough that nobody even pays it any attention anymore - thus defeating the purpose)

A simply float switch connected to an off the shelf air horn is a nice electricless backup. Easy to assemble using a regular ole bathroom toilet float repair kit to depress the plunger of an air horn. No way on earth you're not going to hear that horn go off, and placed half way up the bilge, you're not going to get any false alarms. If that horn sounds, you've got water!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 14:57   #49

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I'm getting ready to have a bottom paint job done on our boat, along with the updating of the PSS shaft seal (we have the old version of undetermined age). Now I really want to change out the PSS along with installing a high water alarm!
Slight diversion ;-) and only for a moment.
Are you going with PSS brand again?

Curious,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 22:46   #50

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Slight diversion ;-) and only for a moment.
Are you going with PSS brand again?

Curious,
Extemp.
I know that one brand has two o-rings inside, but maybe they all do. However they come I'm going with one with two o-rings. The one we have now is what was made before the plastic nipple was added for venting, so it must be on the old side now...but it's worked flawlessly.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 04:26   #51

I vote for the PSS mine has no nipple and needs to be hand burped occasionaly. This is also a good time to inspect the unit. I did have a failure when in San Francisco after motoring into Treasure Island the builge pump alarm was sounding and only heard after the engine was stopped. A search under the floor boards found nothing until the board over the PSS was liftes and every thing was wet. only when the engine was started and put into gear did the PSS spew forth water. the s/s collar had moved op the shaft 1 inch and when statioary kept a seal but did not when spinning. easy fix push back down shaft 1 inch retighten grub screws and place a hose clamp in front of the coller for insurence.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 05:02   #52

This is a forum to discuss what happened and how it may have been prevented.

Below are your words, not mine. Sooo, if he had a bilge alarm, would the outcome have been different? And if not checking the work of "by his own admission" a pretty shitty yard isn't a HEAD BANGING MOMENT then I don't know what is.

The emoticon is not intended to insult, I'm sorry you take it that way. If the mods feel it insults then possibly it should be removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
When you are single handing and in the cockpit, it is possible take on enormous amounts of water before the engine or you realize that you are sinking.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 06:13   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Nothing quite like kicking a man when he is down.........

.............so, my tuppence worth

Seems that he had enough pre-warning that the yard had workmanship / quality control issues before heading off on the last voyage (to my mind the emergency pump / haulout was a big clue).........therefore in his shoes I would have a) been very conscious of the possibily of failure and b) have had a Plan B ready to roll.

In practice that would mean keeping a very close eye on the engine bilge (I presume the hatch boards lift) for a good few weeks before heading off into the Wide Blue Yonder. As well as testing the Bilge Pump and any Alarm (bucket or 2 of water will do the trick - if no Alarm test button).

End of the day it is my responsibility (as Skipper) for all work undertaken onboard and as such I like to know exactly what has been done and how (and what it means)........because at the end of the day it's gonna be me onboard, not anyone from the Yard.

Some things in life require more than simply writing a cheque, no matter that may be inconveniant. or one wishes it wasn't.

Of course what I say and I what I actually do is not always the same
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 06:34   #54

David, pretty much any "should have" comment made when people suffer unfortunate experiences could be interpreted as "kicking a man when he's down". I'm happy he's safe and it would seem he has a very good suit to bring against the yard. Hopefully he'll be made whole.

Maybe you like this better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Nothing quite like kicking a man when he is down.........

.............so, my tuppence worth

Seems that he had enough pre-warning that the yard had workmanship / quality control issues before heading off on the last voyage (to my mind the emergency pump / haulout was a big clue).........therefore in his shoes I would have a) been very conscious of the possibily of failure and b) have had a Plan B ready to roll.

In practice that would mean keeping a very close eye on the engine bilge (I presume the hatch boards lift) for a good few weeks before heading off into the Wide Blue Yonder. As well as testing the Bilge Pump and any Alarm (bucket or 2 of water will do the trick - if no Alarm test button).

End of the day it is my responsibility (as Skipper) for all work undertaken onboard and as such I like to know exactly what has been done and how (and what it means)........because at the end of the day it's gonna be me onboard, not anyone from the Yard.

Some things in life require more than simply writing a cheque, no matter that may be inconveniant. or one wishes it wasn't.

Of course what I say and I what I actually do is not always the same
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 06:44   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
... The emoticon is not intended to insult, I'm sorry you take it that way. If the mods feel it insults then possibly it should be removed?
If not intended to insult; what meaning do these emoticons add to the conversation?

Actually, I think that all of the smart-ass & insulting emoticons* should be removed from the forum. They all convey ideas & attitudes that we wouldn’t permit to be overtly expressed in words.

*Ie: Headbanging, Horse-beating, Popcorn, Roll-Eye, etc.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:02   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If not intended to insult; what meaning do these emoticons add to the conversation?

Actually, I think that all of the smart-ass & insulting emoticons* should be removed from the forum. They all convey ideas & attitudes that we wouldn’t permit to be overtly expressed in words.

*Ie: Headbanging, Horse-beating, Popcorn, Roll-Eye, etc.
But Gord...
whenand I hit a hard one I always.... once chipped a tooth that had me and finding a cheap dentist was like .
Still if thats how you feel about these I sympathise.
Still it keeps some of us 's so where's the harm...
Not looking for ahonest....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:28   #57

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
So where was he when the third-world mechanic was working on his boat? If I couldn't do the work myself, I would have had my head in the bilge learning and supervising.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:58   #58
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
BOATMAN ROFL!!@!@!@!@
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 08:05   #59
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a gentle reminder that the subject of this thread is the unfortunate sinking of Aquila near New Caledonia. Please try to keep your posts focused on that subject.

If anyone feels there is a need to discuss the question of appropriate / inappropriate emoticons, please start a thread on that subject in the Tech Support & Site Help Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 22-11-2010, 08:12   #60
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
I think that the word should be put out to the cruising community to boycott Baobab and spread the word.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, New Caledonia