Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 09:17   #61

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I agree with those that think the captain should have checked out the work done to his satisfaction, and I'm sure Raff would agree to that now especially in light of what he knew. Maybe he did look at the work done, but also maybe he did not put his hands on it either. For sure he should of at least tested the bilge pump since he noted issues with that, but for what ever reason it didn't. I'll bet Raff has replayed this tragedy over and over in his mind, and probably is slowing coming to grips with the reality that he should have checked the work.

On a good note it's encouraging to hear how non-cruisers and cruisers have come to his aid, offering him clothes, food, shelter, and transportation.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 09:37   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
On a good note it's encouraging to hear how non-cruisers and cruisers have come to his aid, offering him clothes, food, shelter, and transportation.
Jiffy... thats a trait I've found in the cruising/waterside community in most of the places I've sailed.... the sharing/awareness of the hazards of our chosen environment are a great bond/leveler... including the posh areas..
As to checking the repairs, seems from what he's said they had him screwed over no matter what...

PS; Sorry Tao...
not really that was great fun...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 09:44   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Thanks for the reminder to always check the work someone has done. I always keep an eye on my own work so why not someone elses?

I have three thoughts (it's a space issue ... after three none left). It is reasonable to expect a yard to do competent, professional work. It is also reasonable to check the work. It is not reasonable to boycott a yard based on third party reports on an internet chat forum without allowing them the opportunity to defend themselves but it will likely happen anyway.

My 3 thoughts at 2 cents each.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 10:51   #64
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
1) I'm sure his defenses were down due to the stresses, and its possible he checked some other work they did. He's not a daffy. He's an experienced professional sailor.

2) I say boycott until they can answer to the tunes, or we get good testimonials about their work. What second source? This report above sounds first source to me.

3) Its reasonable to expect competence. But this goes beyond competence. Sounds intentional to me.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:46   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Somewhere Beth Leonard said something like "The first and most important lesson we learned in our first year of sailing was that spending good money did not guarantee good work."
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 20:38   #66

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
1) I'm sure his defenses were down due to the stresses, and its possible he checked some other work they did. He's not a daffy. He's an experienced professional sailor.

2) I say boycott until they can answer to the tunes, or we get good testimonials about their work. What second source? This report above sounds first source to me.

3) Its reasonable to expect competence. But this goes beyond competence. Sounds intentional to me.
He is an experienced sailor, but even the best of us has let our guards down at least once.

Hummingway, SaltMonkey is correct in saying the report was first hand.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 20:50   #67

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
This was posted on the PPJ this morning by Mike...
Somehow I dont think that will end up in the testimonials

Testiminials - Baobab Marine Fiji
Old 26-11-2010, 12:50   #68
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I find the slamming of Baobab here to be very distressing and some comments possibly actionable. I work as an engineer for a company that fancies itself as being direct competition to Baobab yet I have contracted them myself for some work on our own yacht and have been 150% happy with everything done. Describing Lorenzo as a third world mechanic is insulting in the extreme, he is one of the most competent and intelligent tradesmen I have met. Cruisers can be a difficult bunch to work for and there have been some communication issues with Baobab over the years but the list of happy customers they have is something to be envied.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, New Caledonia