Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 15:44   #1

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Latest Mexico Check-in

We decided to go to Ensenada from San Diego for 10 days or so, just for a vacation. Checked in with the Port Captain and Immigration this morning, and, as usual, a little different from last time.
This time they told us that they would accept either American or Mexican Insurance to check in. We had Mexican so didn't test it. But how they handle cruising limits??? And expiration dates??? Will see how it goes later when we check out.
They were also interested in seeing the Temporary Import Permit. Didn't ask for a copy, just wanted to see that we had the original. There was a brisk business at Aduana and Banjercito, so I suspect those who didn't have one were at least highly encouraged.
Plus a paper from the Marina (we are at Baja Naval) showing we were officially registered. Looks like "no anchoring" has taken hold.
Otherwise was pretty convenient and quick.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 19:43   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I'm glad I did Mexico in the nineties. No insurance, no anchoring hassles.
Downside was having to check into each and every anchorage that had a Port Captain.

Nothing stays the same...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 09:43   #3

We went through Ensenada about three weeks ago and anchored in beside Naval Marina and found out later that it was not allowed...
We got away with it because the port officer caught up with us at the CIS and kindly allowed us to continue our clearances before returning to our boat...
We are currently at Cabo and the latest deal here is a 133 peso "anchoring fee" which is collected by friendly folks from the "Securidad del Peuto" by pango at your boat. You can elect to go to the Capitania to pay but if you do you must do a complete port clearance... so, the "new" policy of not requiring port clearances is not consistently applied.
I'm sure that the current system is easier than what I have been told you used to have to do but it is still not as transparent as I would like.
To be fair, we came down the US west coast this fall on a cruising license and there is still uncertainty in some American ports about how to deal with check ins and check outs.
My approach is to make an effort to comply with whatever I understand and to be flexible for the rest.
Doug on board Kasala
Kasala is offline   Reply With Quote