Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 19:33   #1

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)
Yanmar 2GM20F, No coolant reservoir?

I have a Yanmar 2GM20F 1982 era in my boat (Hunter 33). I'm fairly new to this boat (got it this year). I noticed it has no coolant expansion tank/reservoir. Is that normal?

Won't coolant just come out of the hole where a tube is normally present that runs from the coolant fill to the expansion tank (yes there is a spot for the tube to attach although I haven't verified that the hole is actually open).

Also, lol, I tried opening coolant fill top for first time recently (yes engine was cool) and while it did turn and seem to come looser, I could not lift it off the tank. Didn't want to force it, not sure if there is some other trick, is it normal for these to stick even if you are able to rotate them to what seems to be the open position?
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 21:05   #2

Boat: Tartan 28
Re: Yanmar 2GM20F, No coolant reservoir?

Mine has a coolant reservoir.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 21:17   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
I have a Yanmar 2GM20F 1982 era in my boat (Hunter 33). I'm fairly new to this boat (got it this year). I noticed it has no coolant expansion tank/reservoir. Is that normal?

Won't coolant just come out of the hole where a tube is normally present that runs from the coolant fill to the expansion tank (yes there is a spot for the tube to attach although I haven't verified that the hole is actually open).

..........?
Normal - yes and no!

Yanmar highly recommends the fitting of an expansion tank but it does not mandate it.

Is it a good idea - yes.
Is it essential - no.

From the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Expansion tank 2.png
Views:	322
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	198356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Expansion tank.png
Views:	150
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	198357  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 01:36   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

I have the exact same motor and got my coolant tank off eBay. It seems to work well.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2831933459...hoCDOYQAvD_BwE
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:22   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

I have had three diesels on two boats and none of them had expansion tanks. I add one to my present engine. You can (could) find them at many autoparts stores.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 17:59   #6

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

They all have coolant reservoirs unless very old--anything where the tank is not connected directly to the water pump or thermosiphon will need a reservoir. It looks as though your hoses are stretching to compensate for the expansion--at best temporarily--or your coolant is going into the bilge--assuming your engine thermostat has not been removed and tossed into the drink--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 18:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Just add one from fleabay or amazon. Easy to do, and good to do. Our generator, same basic engine, didn't have one.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 19:42   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:

Also, lol, I tried opening coolant fill top for first time recently (yes engine was cool) and while it did turn and seem to come looser, I could not lift it off the tank. Didn't want to force it, not sure if there is some other trick, is it normal for these to stick even if you are able to rotate them to what seems to be the open position?
Probably just push down hard while turning to remove the cap.
Did you say you had no tank? The cap should be on the coolant tank.
Was the tank removed for some reason?
2gm20f is a fresh water(block surrounded with antifreeze) cooled engine.
Was yours converted to a raw water cooled engine?
Or it came with a remote mounted tank? Or no tank.
Confused,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 04:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Probably just push down hard while turning to remove the cap.
Did you say you had no tank? The cap should be on the coolant tank.
Was the tank removed for some reason?
2gm20f is a fresh water(block surrounded with antifreeze) cooled engine.
Was yours converted to a raw water cooled engine?
Or it came with a remote mounted tank? Or no tank.
Confused,
SV Cloud Duster
It has no plastic expansion tank (or whatever that is called, perhaps "recovery tank"). It has a main coolant tank and is fresh water cooled but there is no hose leading from the main coolant tank to an expansion/recovery tank, although there is a spot for a hose just below the coolant cap. I will try pushing down while turning technique, thanks.
Old 22-08-2019, 04:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
They all have coolant reservoirs unless very old--anything where the tank is not connected directly to the water pump or thermosiphon will need a reservoir. It looks as though your hoses are stretching to compensate for the expansion--at best temporarily--or your coolant is going into the bilge--assuming your engine thermostat has not been removed and tossed into the drink--
It has a main coolant tank, but no plastic recovery/expansion tank. It is from 1982 so that is pretty old. Previous owners had boat for 16 years and unless they removed this expansion tank it has been running like this for a while. I should probably ask them how often they topped up the coolant.

Assuming that nothing is jammed in the mechanism, once the coolant reaches the pressure rating of the cap, coolant would flow out of the hole that is just below the cap (with no hose attached), and yes into the bilge. Unclear if this would actually be in vaporized form or liquid. If vaporized form at least it won't be leaking down on other parts of the engine directly (but condensing somewhere and then to bilge). Buy yeah if that mechanism isn't working then I suppose the hoses would take the load (bad, but hey at least not losing coolant).
Old 22-08-2019, 04:49   #11

My father had a 3QM30 and the cap on the heat exchanger was difficult to remove, you had to press down on the cap much harder than a typical automotive radiator.

Also, the boat did not originally have an expansion tank, the fitting for the overflow was simply capped off. We added a small expansion tank.
kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:47   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
....... once the coolant reaches the pressure rating of the cap, coolant would flow out of the hole that is just below the cap (with no hose attached), and yes into the bilge. Unclear if this would actually be in vaporized form or liquid. .........
Unless the engine was badly overheating, any escape from the cap would be liquid.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 07:30   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
It has no plastic expansion tank (or whatever that is called, perhaps "recovery tank"). It has a main coolant tank and is fresh water cooled but there is no hose leading from the main coolant tank to an expansion/recovery tank, although there is a spot for a hose just below the coolant cap. I will try pushing down while turning technique, thanks.
Sorry for my confusion.
That is a recovery overflow tank.
The coolant tank is the metal one.
Those caps can be a bugger to get off.
Thanks for the update.
Cheers,SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, coolant, yanmar