Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 16:31   #1

Winter in Annapolis, South River: Ice ?

Hi,

looking to keep my boat at a marina in Annapolis for the winter. No bubbler/heaters, about 5 miles up the south river from the bay

Do I need a bubbler? Anything to watch out for? presume growth is minimal in the winter so plan on painting in the summer even though the boats been neglected for a while.

How brackish is the water up there?

Thanks,

-stantale
stantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 16:51   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Should be no problem. Bubblers serve more to protect docks and pilings from ice-jacking than any benefit to the boat. Four years living aboard around Annapolis and I haven't seen anything more than skim ice on the creek. Keeping your boat warm enough for you is generally plenty to keep ice off your hull.

No growth to speak of over the winter.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:04   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think this depends where on the river. If its up one of the creeks with shallow water it could ice up pretty good. If your living on board it probably wont be an issue. Last winter some spots got pretty thick A rare winter. I was glad there were few buublers around the Marina I was in on the West river.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:09   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Auspicious is right about the bubblers, they are mainly for the docks. But we lived aboard last winter at the mouth of the Potomac and had a lot more than skim ice. There were several inches of ice at times and as much as 2" out in the middle of the creek. At least according to the marina manager. Between the bubblers that the marina put out to protect their docks (one ever 4-5 slips) and the internal heat from the boat we had no problems.
Old 17-08-2010, 17:36   #5

Just to clarify, we won't be living aboard.

The marina is just past the route 2 bridge (forget what it's called) so about 5mi up the river from the bay, pretty much on the main channel, although up into one of the estuaries a little bit (maybe 500ft?) In any case from what you're saying there will be ice, maybe less maybe more.

So I guess the questions is: without heat on the boat, and without bubblers, should I be worried and be proactive or just let it go and check regularly...

If it does become iced up, what's the best solution? a dock side bubbler I run, or stick a heater on the boat?

Thanks for the quick replies!

-stantale
stantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:39   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
oh, and dont fergit you're gonna need a snowblower
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 18:26   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
We wintered at city dock in Annapolis last year, and I've vowed not to put my boat through that again — three feet of heavy snow on the deck and thick ice in the channel. Boat's going south this winter. If I had to stay around, it would be up in one of the yards. The cost is worth the piece of mind.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 18:32   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Last winter on the Chesapeake was unusual but not beyond the realm of possibility again. Several boats sank at the dock from the weight of snow and ice when no one was around to clear it off because you could not even get to the marina. We would not leave a boat in the water here unattended and we have lived aboard in the bay for many years off and on. We won't do it anymore even living aboard. Boat goes on the hard and is shrink wrapped. But everyone must make their own choice. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 20:00   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantale View Post
Just to clarify, we won't be living aboard.

The marina is just past the route 2 bridge (forget what it's called) so about 5mi up the river from the bay, pretty much on the main channel, although up into one of the estuaries a little bit (maybe 500ft?) In any case from what you're saying there will be ice, maybe less maybe more.

So I guess the questions is: without heat on the boat, and without bubblers, should I be worried and be proactive or just let it go and check regularly...

If it does become iced up, what's the best solution? a dock side bubbler I run, or stick a heater on the boat?

Thanks for the quick replies!

-stantale
Have you spoken to the marina manager about what they do regarding bubblers and snow on the docks and decks? Ours was really good about looking after boats in the slips with nobody living aboard, so I wouldn't hesitate to leave it in the water. But that's only cause I have a lot of trust and faith in the marina and other full time liveaboards that I know look after stuff; otherwise, I'd pull it.
Old 18-08-2010, 06:19   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I cleared the docks of snow half a dozen times last winter and the decks regularly. If you keep up you can use a broom on the boat. I have teak decks, so when I fell behind I crawled around with a plastic dust pan.

If you can't visit the boat regularly and be there when it snows to keep things clear then I would tend to agree with Chuck about pulling the boat. If you CAN visit the boat being in the water is no big deal at all, and gives you the opportunity to take advantage of the odd warm day.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis