Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 12:57   #1

So, the Updated Plan . . . What Do You Think ?

So I posted a few months ago my plan for cruising soon. Well the time is approaching ever quicker, and so I wanted to run the updated plan by the forum and see if this is a practical idea. I'm still a newbie, so don't spare any ideas/concerns.

The background:
ASA 101/103 is complete. May take 104, or may buy some books on sailing systems, and learn as we go/before we go. Like I've said before I have some pretty solid carpentry skills on land. Taking it slow at first to get acquanted with the boat/navigation.

House renovation is almost complete and ready to sale. I realize this may take some time, and so will be the primary hold on any future plans until it is sold.

The financial plan:
Sale the house, use the hopeful equity for a rental property to give us some hopeful monthly income, and a home to return to in the distant future. (I realize, how all this is based on hopes, but I digress, so I'm not really looking for the real estate market information).

Use the nest egg to buy a boat, and have a few months of sailing money. Hopefully the rest will be provided by renters.

The route:
Our goal is to spend a year or so sailing up and down the East coast of the US to continue our sailing education/experience.

The second year we'd like to spend sailing around the Caribbean, starting with the Bahamas, and maybe moving to USVI and Puerto Rico, or anywhere else.

We don't plan on ever being in a hurry, and always waiting on the weather windows. We will want to anchor as often as possible, as we want to do this on a budget. Eat as cheap as possible, and fish as often as possible.

Afterwards will remain to be seen. We may decide to go back to land, or try and keep sailing along to who knows where.

The boat:
So the boat is the major question.

We are very comfortable living in small quarters, so that is not an issue, but safety obviously is.

Our thoughts were to buy a trailerable boat around 26'+. Is there any reason to be concerned about a boat that can be trailered? Will beam be a major issue in the two areas we are talking about sailing? Other issues to be concerned with? Centerboard or Swing Keel, preferences?

The reason for this idea is to hopefully save on haulout costs, and the ability to work on my own boat in my own yard without major transportation issues (We're from North Georgia, US).

Assume that I have a dedicated friend/family member that would bring our trailer back once dropping us off at the nearest port.

Questions:
1. Is this route a good way to learn, sticking with the ICW, occassional open sailing?
2. Is a boat of this size, beam, assuming quality (I'll be getting surveys, reading up on the necessaries of quality beforehand) sufficient for such a trip/ lifestyle?
3. Any other ideas/concerns/ practical advice from the forum? Thanks.
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn't recommend a trailorable boat, as a first choice, for full-time live-aboard cruising.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:46   #3

The financial plan looks good, provided, you are experienced in the landlording business and understand the need for sufficient financial reserves. The route also seems a very reasonable approach. The boat is a problem and I think Gord is being very gentle. A boat like that will be uncomfortable and is not appropriate to the route, in my opinion, either. If the cost of hauling the boat around for prep and launch for a two year trip is prohibitive, I don't think you can afford to go. Just a thought.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:49   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38
I can't think of many trailerable boats I would take offshore. You'd be better off getting an older, heavier, 30-35 foot monohull with a proven record. Not many sailing opportunities in the ICW, so you might want to head north first to learn sail handling, etc. in the Chesapeake before heading south. Or else plan on spending some time in the Florida Keys or on the West Coast of Florida before tackling the Bahamas.
Kettlewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
The financial plan looks good, provided, you are experienced in the landlording business and understand the need for sufficient financial reserves. The route also seems a very reasonable approach. The boat is a problem and I think Gord is being very gentle. A boat like that will be uncomfortable and is not appropriate to the route, in my opinion, either. If the cost of hauling the boat around for prep and launch for a two year trip is prohibitive, I don't think you can afford to go. Just a thought.
Let me ask this then;

Assuming I paint the boat at purchase, before departing, and I try to take care of most problems then (first haul out), how often could I expect a haul out in two years? Once? At all?

It's not really a can't afford, it's a prefer not to have to afford. But if I can't do trailerable, then I'm guessing it will be a have to..

Thanks for the advice...
Old 18-08-2010, 13:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I can't think of many trailerable boats I would take offshore. You'd be better off getting an older, heavier, 30-35 foot monohull with a proven record. Not many sailing opportunities in the ICW, so you might want to head north first to learn sail handling, etc. in the Chesapeake before heading south. Or else plan on spending some time in the Florida Keys or on the West Coast of Florida before tackling the Bahamas.
To clarify on the route. I was planning on staying in many of these places at anchor, and sailing around for practice during days and evenings.

Second question: Is the trailoring boat a concern for living quarters? stability? or open ocean when crossing the Gulf Stream?

If the last, is it suffient for ICW, and Harbor sailing?
Old 18-08-2010, 13:57   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38
I think a trailerable boat would be fine and fun for a trip up and down the East Coast and to the Keys, but most are not designed or built for offshore use. I usually haulout once a year for bottom painting and other work.
Kettlewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 14:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think a trailerable boat would be fine and fun for a trip up and down the East Coast and to the Keys, but most are not designed or built for offshore use. I usually haulout once a year for bottom painting and other work.

This is good to hear. I may have to look at other options down the road, and just spend a year at first. I guess I should also add another reason to want the trailer option would be the option to take it home with me after we're done and still spend weekends on the lake.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:03   #9

Quote:
Assuming I paint the boat at purchase, before departing, and I try to take care of most problems then (first haul out), how often could I expect a haul out in two years? Once? At all?
It depends. I would plan, financially, on hauling at least once, but you might make it two years without a haul out. Find fresh water to anchor in from time to time during your coastal voyage - will help keep salt water critters at bay. And don't hit anything.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:08   #10

Quote:
And don't hit anything.
I did say I was a newbie right

Thanks Drew.

What do you guys normally pay for a "cheap" haulout, and where do you find it on the East Coast/Bahamas?

I also have heard that very few marinas allow self-repair now. With extreme planning, can I find some of these places and what sort of costs am I looking at (I know it's by the foot and depends), but can any give a ballpark?

I know these will be overly generalized questions, but not sure how to be more specific right now.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:21   #11

Quote:
What do you guys normally pay for a "cheap" haulout, and where do you find it on the East Coast/Bahamas?

I also have heard that very few marinas allow self-repair now. With extreme planning, can I find some of these places and what sort of costs am I looking at (I know it's by the foot and depends), but can any give a ballpark?
Costs will vary with location. A lot. And it will depend on the size of the boat. In the size range you are talking, I would plan on 200 bucks round trip. There will also be blocking and storage costs with huge variation locationwise. I am in the Chesapeake region and there are still plenty of marinas that will let you do your own work. You just have to ask around.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:26   #12

Quote:
Costs will vary with location. A lot. And it will depend on the size of the boat. In the size range you are talking, I would plan on 200 bucks round trip. There will also be blocking and storage costs with huge variation locationwise. I am in the Chesapeake region and there are still plenty of marinas that will let you do your own work. You just have to ask around.
Ok, that's no where near as bad as I was expecting.... Someone had told me to expect around 1000-1200 before any work (must be an expensive locale).

I see why you were saying if you can't afford 200 you shouldn't even bother. That makes me feel a lot better about haul outs and repair. Thanks..will reconsider the trailer option.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:30   #13

Quote:
1000-1200 before any work
That is out of order. Or, a humungous boat in the fanciest shmanciast location.
Old 18-08-2010, 15:55   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
The financial plan:
Sale the house, use the hopeful equity for a rental property to give us some hopeful monthly income, and a home to return to in the distant future. (I realize, how all this is based on hopes, but I digress, so I'm not really looking for the real estate market information).

Use the nest egg to buy a boat, and have a few months of sailing money. Hopefully the rest will be provided by renters.
Bad idea. You never want to be an absentee landlord. And dependable management companies with consistent service are extremely hard too come by. Its a business that too easy to get into and profit margins are slim. You'll have a lot less headaches and worries while you are out cruising if you put the money into something boring and safe. As for having a place when you return, prices will continue to drop for quite some time, so no reason to buy anything now. Besides you might not want to come back to Georgia or wherever it is you planned to buy. Keep you money safely invested and you will have more options later and less worries.
Old 18-08-2010, 16:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Bad idea. You never want to be an absentee landlord. And dependable management companies with consistent service are extremely hard too come by. Its a business that too easy to get into and profit margins are slim. You'll have a lot less headaches and worries while you are out cruising if you put the money into something boring and safe. As for having a place when you return, prices will continue to drop for quite some time, so no reason to buy anything now. Besides you might not want to come back to Georgia or wherever it is you planned to buy. Keep you money safely invested and you will have more options later and less worries.
Just curious, but is this from experience? What sort of problems have you had? What sort of problems would I need to look out for specifically with a well established management company in my town? I have a close and very reputable carpenter that I trust for potential repair issues, so this won't be an issue, and I'm prepared to last a couple of months every now and then without the rental income coming in. Also, plan to be very picky as to my renters.