Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2005, 00:04   #1

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Will we lose NOAA weather radio?

Senate Bill S. 786 threatens to stop normal NOAA weather radio except for severe weather alert. Help defeat this bill.

See more information at the Boat U.S. site http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm.

Sunspotbaby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 03:14   #2

Boat: Tartan 33 "Radiant"
Send a message via AIM to halyardz
Infamous Weather Bill

This Senator is not on my list of favorite guys. Somebody pointed out to me that Accu-Weather, the private service, has its main offices in Penna, where Senator Rick S. hails from. You don't suppose there is any connection do you? JR
halyardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 13:24   #3

Quote:
Senate Bill S. 786 threatens to stop normal NOAA weather radio except for severe weather alert. Help defeat this bill.
Sunspot,

The link you gave had a period in it, and didn't work. Here is the working link in case anyone couldn't figure it out

http://www.boatus.com/gov/sb786.htm
kindtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 05:22   #4
Kai Nui

For those who might read the site, and say that sucks, If you are a US citizen, and a registered voter especially, print and sign the letter. Every one of these letters does get read, and does count. I can say every letter I have sent to a state or federal representitive has recieved a response. Usually a form letter, but that at least tells me my opinion was counted.
We need to stop these morons. Not just for the issue of saving our weather info, but the natural political progression is when marine accidents increase due to no weather info, more legislation restricting boats, and so on.
Old 18-09-2005, 12:37   #5

I used to do some lobbying and Sen. Steve Harrison, (R) West Virginia State Legislature once told me that during the most controversial bill he ever had before him he only had 10 phone calls. (It was over a gay rights bill).

Prof. Chuck Smith, chairmen of the Political Science Dept. at West Virginia State University, told me that only 6% of the people were willing to speak out or protest over any legislation.

That being said, it is a numbers game.

Have everyone in your families make phone calls and write letters. Write the letters for them, address the envelope, watch them sign it, and put it in the mail yourself.

"CALL AND WRITE ALL" of the Congressional Senators in your state. They don't pay much attention if you aren't in their voter’s district, but in the end it is a numbers game and they will remember getting phone calls and letters and that most people want it passed or killed, especially if there is eve a $20.00 check attached to it. Campaign Contributions get their attention real fast. But talk to them on the phone first to see where they stand on the bill. You send them the campaign contribution and a letter to remind them of where they stand on the vote.

Go to meetings at all the Yacht Clubs, boating events, groups etc. Take with you fill in the blank form letters with addressed stamped envelopes. Remember each person there has to send a letter to each of the Congressional Senators in their state, (even if they aren't in their district). Also take a list of phone numbers to pass out as well.

You can also always form a "Political Action Committee," (PAC) to endorse candidates. Politicians love getting endorsements.

I took 40 people lobbying for fathers rights and ended up with one senator asking a state supreme court justice why the state court system discriminated against men and went on to say they got more complaints on the Family Law Courts than they did road conditions. As a result, the state legislature rewrote all the states divorce, child custody, and child support laws. Then went on to restructure the family law courts, replacing over half the family law judges here and one Justice whom ran on a women’s lib platform resigned.

My point is..... You guys don't have the emotional baggage draining you that divorced fathers do, are much more educated, and have much deeper pockets than most of the fathers I had to work with. This should be very easy for you if you are willing to dedicate some time to it.

I used to have an email list for Congress. I'll see if I can locate an updated copy to post on here for you as well.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 13:10   #6
Kai Nui

Thanks for expanding on my point. Maybe it's something in the water out there. I grew up in Frederick, Md, and we also had a home in Horseshoe Bend. I guess it is hard to live that close to DC and not understand politics.
Old 18-09-2005, 17:46   #7

No problem Kai, I wanted to make sure they understood the importance of doing domething and how easy it was to really make a differance.

I can't do much from here, but I do know how to make things happen and I'll do what I can.

Bill

Edited for spelling
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 11:12   #8

Boat: St. Francis 50
Done! Contacted my Senator on this issue and already received a reply from his office that he will "look into it".
Old 19-09-2005, 20:38   #9

Senate Bill S. 786

I just e-mailed the letter to my two senators.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 17:30   #10

Response from CO U.S. senator

Here's what Ken Salazar had to say about its current status:

Dear James:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S.786, The National Weather Service Duties Act of 2005.

I am aware of this proposed legislation but do not believe it will move forward. At present it has no cosponsors, and may die in committee. Furthermore, it would directly conflict with services already provided by the National Weather Service offices in Boulder, Colorado.

Sincerely,

Ken Salazar
United States Senator
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 17:57   #11
Kai Nui

It sure is a good feeling to be heard isn't it
Good news to boot!
Old 29-09-2005, 12:10   #12

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The Boat US link from my original post (minus the . ) will also give you links to find your senators. I emailed both of mine earlier and got form letters full of equivocation. At least they got my email.

While this bill seems unlikely to stand alone, the risk is that a lobbyist will get some senator to attach it to another bill and it will be passed as a rider.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 21:08   #13
Kai Nui

They prefer to attach things like pay raises. Greed may keep us safe.

Tags
radio