Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2006, 00:34   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
When is a yacht a yacht or not.

So I am curiouse. We here in NZ tend to call any "larger" sailboat a yacht. Any "larger" powered boat a Launch. A Yacht would can be anything, but small "dingy" type sailboats would be often called a sailboat. A powered vessel is a power boat up till it has a cabin in which you can virtually live in. Then it kinda becomes a Launch. A small powered boat with no cabin is called a "runabout". A larger with a "cuddy cabin" is called a power boat. And then it is quite possible there are other terms often used as well. Yikes, now I have just realised we make it confusing down here as well.

Anway's..... I realise you guys call any large boat a yacht. So for you folk, at what point does a powered vessel become a yacht????

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 03:22   #2

30' and above

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 04:29   #3
JW

Every definition I've seen indicates that a yacht is a boat, regardless of size, used for pleasure, not work. I haven't seen the definition restricted to being able to carry a tender. I always suspected that it was a definition used by the rich to avoid paying taxes on boats that are owned by people who have sufficient means to use a boat only for fun.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
there's a very simple test. if all you can find below is beer, it's definitely a boat.

if you find a store of wine aboard, you're on a yacht, it's probably a yacht.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:31   #5
JW

What if the wine comes in a cardboard box and a plastic spout? Is it still a yacht?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:45   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler

Anway's..... I realise you guys call any large boat a yacht. So for you folk, at what point does a powered vessel become a yacht????
Alan,

At about 10 million dollars. Anything under is a sailboat or power boat. One look and you know whether it's a yacht or not.
Old 27-06-2006, 06:09   #7
cruiser

I can also say that for sure... any pleasure boat (or charter boat - excluding fishing vessels) that has a crew wearing uniforms, preparing elaborate dinners with wine, and attending to guests is probably a yacht. I say this, even though our boat is a sailboat with "yacht syle" service on it.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 06:14   #8

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
open another bottle of wine

Alan,
The rule is this:

If you don’t know if you have a sailboat or a yacht, then you have a sailboat…..
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 06:17   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Boat with head and galley facilities = yacht. Without = dinghy!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 06:26   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
wheels:

I remember sailing in college we used to sail against Cal Maritime Academy, UC Berkely,Cal Poly, and Stanford. We sailed in a 14' dinghy called an FJ. The Standford coach always refurred to his teams vessels as, "yachts." Pretenious. Yes. But they did win alot of races. Hardly yachts though.

My opinion: Call it whatever you want its still just "a hole in the water that you throw money into." If its a yacht you have to throw in bigger bills.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 09:30   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I agree that it is any boat used for recreation see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht

This became clear to me the first time I searched the US Coast Guard websites looking for information about documenting a boat. I got the impression the Coast Guard considered a noncommercial boat being used for pleasure is a yacht (and possibly the people on board yachties not knowing what they are doing). That in contrast to commercial vessels being operated by professional.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 15:03   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I thought I owned a yacht until I had the chance to look around a Manta 42 catamaran. Guy's those boats don't have a galley, they have full kitchens!! Not to mention 4 cabins.

That's a yacht and mine's a scow

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 17:49   #13
cruiser

I'm partial to Ed Steele's answer. ha ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 18:16   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I've always considered a vessel that you work on yourself a boat.

And one that you pay people to work on a Yacht.

I guess it all depends on which side of the railroad tracks you came from................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 18:39   #15
Kai Nui

I do not remember the source, but I do remember it was reputable, a vessel used commercially is a motor vessel, sailing vessel etc. A vessel used exclusively for pleasure is a yacht regardless of size. Hense the appropriate use of the term m/v s/v vs s/y or m/y. As for a ship, the official rule is over 100' is a ship. The otherr difference is a yacht is a hole you throw money into, but on a vessel, at least a little of it floats