Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2007, 04:37   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
What would you do??

Last night some one was coming in late (6:30 pm), into the marina. When he tried to line up with the slip the tide swung him around and he slid into our stern steps. The main damage to our boat is the grab rail, to come up the steps is bent.. Granted he was wrong in trying to come in the way he was. He should have come in opposite direction, into the current. And he got a HUGE scratch all the way down his 2006 Valiant. But should I charge him for a new grab bar and labor to install? Honestly I may never change the bar!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 04:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am not sure of the issue here. He hit a docked boat and caused damage. You should be able to get the damage fixed and his insurance should pay.

You don't seem upset about this, which I think is a good attitude, but you clearly have a right to have your damage repaired.

I am still working on getting our smashed bow pulpit replaced from a hit and run a couple of months ago. If I knew who did it, I would have no qualms about having him/her fix it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 05:20   #3

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Hopefuly the Other Party will offer to have your damage repaired at his expense and you won't need to "charge him"?

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 05:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I am not sure of the issue here. He hit a docked boat and caused damage. You should be able to get the damage fixed and his insurance should pay.

You don't seem upset about this, which I think is a good attitude, but you clearly have a right to have your damage repaired.
it is such minor damage though, but the admiral says it is none the less damage, that was not there previously
Old 28-11-2007, 05:50   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
While tied to the dock just after launching last year a Searay running on just one engine hit my boat and scratched a chock and tore my Lifesling bag. Both were replaced by the yard as it was the yard's manager driving the Searay! I think you should price the replacement or repair and be reimbursed by the Valiant. It might be minor but all these "minor" bits of damage add up. A prospective buyer might not view it as minor.
Old 28-11-2007, 05:53   #6

Its really up to you. IF the damage is very minor and such that you really do not care then forget about it.

This is why I drive a "beater" as a daily car ('99 Isuzu Trooper). If someone puts a minor scratch or dent in it, I could care less. In fact, I doubt I would notice at all. The car isnt worth anything, its just basic transportation and it serves that purpose very well.

Now if my Ferrari got a little scratch..... you better believe I would have them fix it. Or at least I would have their estate fix it.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 06:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
it is such minor damage though, but the admiral says it is none the less damage, that was not there previously
That's why we have admirals :kissy:

It sounds like a real scratch event. If you are sure there is no cracking at the base of the mounts and so on and you can convince the admiral to be happy...
Old 28-11-2007, 07:38   #8

I had a guy hit my boat and caused over $10K in damage:
Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Eric's Blog - - We found the guy who hit our*boat!

He ran away and didn't try to contact me in any way what-so-ever. You have two options. You can either go after his insurance company, or go through yours, and have yours get its money back from his. Or, and this might be your best bet, tell him that you want him to pay the money directly to you, so that you don't need to report it to his insurance company or the police.

Or, you should call the harbor police this morning, and report it. The police will act like it's no big thing, but you *need* to have a police report. Take a bunch of pictures of his boat and your boat before anyone has time to clean anything off.

All in all, it will take two hours out of your life, and you'll have what you need in order to make sure you get your money back from him.

If you don't do it for yourself, do it for everyone else. Guys in big boats slamming into their neighbors should understand the consequences.

He's got a 2006 Valiant; he's not hurting for money.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 07:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

He's got a 2006 Valiant; he's not hurting for money.
Or he's got a 2006 valiant and he *is* hurting for money - LOL

Actually that's the smartest thing said in this thread so far...
Old 28-11-2007, 09:14   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
. . . you should call the harbor police this morning, and report it. The police will act like it's no big thing, but you *need* to have a police report. Take a bunch of pictures of his boat and your boat before anyone has time to clean anything off.

All in all, it will take two hours out of your life, and you'll have what you need in order to make sure you get your money back from him.

If you don't do it for yourself, do it for everyone else. Guys in big boats slamming into their neighbors should understand the consequences.
In my view, the above part of rebel heart's post is the smartest thing in this thread - actually, one of the smarter things on this site.

Particularly the sentence I bolded.

TaoJones
Old 28-11-2007, 10:43   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It's not a huge deal so calling the police, the harbor master or the insurance company would be overkill. Ask the guy in a friendly manner if he could pay for the repairs. Ask that the repairs be done by a professional...and not by you or him. The guy is probably embarrassed by the whole thing and wants to make good. If the guy is a prick and refuses then let it go or fix it yourself. Don't let it turn into a huge deal. It's much easier to make enemies than friends.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 11:12   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235 View Post
Hopefuly the Other Party will offer to have your damage repaired at his expense and you won't need to "charge him"?
But if he doesn't make the offer, then go after him. A lesson learned on his part (common courtesy).
Old 28-11-2007, 11:33   #13

How can this be open for discussion? He damaged your boat and should pay to have it repaired.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 11:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It's not a huge deal so calling the police, the harbor master or the insurance company would be overkill. Ask the guy in a friendly manner if he could pay for the repairs. Ask that the repairs be done by a professional...and not by you or him. The guy is probably embarrassed by the whole thing and wants to make good. If the guy is a prick and refuses then let it go or fix it yourself. Don't let it turn into a huge deal. It's much easier to make enemies than friends.
Dave, they guy should have been over to Jusdreamings boat as soon as he docked the Valiant. He should be standing on the dock with a cold beer for Jusdreaming, apologizing, and assuring him he will call his insurance man first thing to get the repair taken care of.

We all screw up, no problem, but you gotta make it right.

Jusdreaming should not have to search this fellow out.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 07:13   #15

If you give people the chance to do the right thing, they generally will
This morning he came over and apologized, again, and ask how I wanted to handle it? I had already priced the grab bar (37.50), and figured an hour to replace it. He said will $100.00 be fair? I accepted the money and all is well !!!!!!!!!!!!
And just for the record, as far as damage, we won! The ladder bracket gouged a scratch about 6 ft. long just above the boot stripe. Which is a bummer, as it is a VERY pretty boat and it was commisioned in May of this year!