Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 15:38   #211

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So by your definition, a person who is entirely alone on a boat travelling along the coast for two hours to another port is not 'solo', but is 'single handed'.

The OP can answer for him/her self, but I think most people understood he's talking about being 'on your own without anyone else on your boat'. However you may define that.
This kind of pedantry is really quite tiresome and pointless, other than its value in driving reasonable people away from forums. Okay, I guess the 24 hour period is arbitrary; if you're making passage alone between any two ports, you're soloing. If you're out on the bay by yourself and coming back to the same marina the same day, I'd say you're single-handing.

But that's just my definition, you're free to use whatever you want. I would ask what you consider the practice of operating a boat by yourself, though.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:40   #212

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Too many assumptions here Monte. It would help to read the report. It's freely available if you google for it. Or I can send you the link. It responds to a number of things you have said.
Report is here http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1539485/mo-2009-008.pdf

A bit of interesting stuff down the bottom about AIS class B reception.
Old 08-06-2015, 15:45   #213

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
This kind of pedantry is really quite tiresome and pointless, other than its value in driving reasonable people away from forums. Okay, I guess the 24 hour period is arbitrary; if you're making passage alone between any two ports, you're soloing. If you're out on the bay by yourself and coming back to the same marina the same day, I'd say you're single-handing.

But that's just my definition, you're free to use whatever you want. I would ask what you consider the practice of operating a boat by yourself, though.
Dude, your the one introducing 'pedantry'. No one else has. The thread is about being single handed / solo. It's the same thing, no matter how far or how short the trip.

It's just adds a whole new element to the extent of single handed / solo sailing when it is for a period of time that extends to a sleep over, given the bodies need to rest.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:50   #214

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Some people want peace and quiet and they dwell on solitude. I have a few questions for you...

Do you not feel comfortable with yourself?

Why do you need to have someone with you?

Are you scared to be alone?
Or conversely, what is it about those who view Single-handing as the ultimate trip? Are they so afraid of being with others? Are they dangerously anti-social - a possible sociopath, in fact? Are they so uncomfortable with others that they view people with a normal (meaning most common) desire to share space with others of their species to be somehow inferior or "cowardly"?
And don't even get me started on the COLREGS, which require a live, awake, alert human to be on watch 24 hours a day. A single-hander sleeping is responsible for any accident or incident that happens involving his/her boat, period. Doesn't matter if his vessel wasn't in the wrong. Some folks are comfortable with that liability. Myself, I'm not. But then, I also prefer to sail with company. I'm weird that way.
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:53   #215

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavie01 View Post
Or conversely, what is it about those who view Single-handing as the ultimate trip? Are they so afraid of being with others? Are they dangerously anti-social - a possible sociopath, in fact? Are they so uncomfortable with others that they view people with a normal (meaning most common) desire to share space with others of their species to be somehow inferior or "cowardly"?
And don't even get me started on the COLREGS, which require a live, awake, alert human to be on watch 24 hours a day. A single-hander sleeping is responsible for any accident or incident that happens involving his/her boat, period. Doesn't matter if his vessel wasn't in the wrong. Some folks are comfortable with that liability. Myself, I'm not. But then, I also prefer to sail with company. I'm weird that way.
Wasn't the case with Jessica Watson dude

There is another thread going called, All about colregs no 3, which your input would be welcome to flesh out your beliefs about this 'on watch 24 hours a day thingy'.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:26   #216
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
This is what I disagree about...
Racing and winning is the apex of sailing and single handing is not how you win.
Hmmm, someone may need to explain that to the French...

Once they come to understand that, then perhaps someone else will be able to beat them around the world...

:-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:35   #217

Boat: Bristol 27

The OP's Title:

What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

It's not a big deal . . . . . for those of us that do it regularly.

I had an awesome sail last weekend. Maybe 75 miles split over Friday night after work til Sunday Morning at 1130. I went to look at a Cal 31. I sailed there instead of driving.

I rode the tides and the wind to achieve it.

On Sunday, I rode the outgoing tide and the SW wind to get home, but I did have to get up at 0415 and begin my sail home as soon as I could make out the channel markers since I was way up the creek!

The wind was suppose to go SE later in the day, and I would have been " in a bad way" if I didn't get off my ass and sail out early.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:55   #218

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Hmmm, someone may need to explain that to the French...

Once they come to understand that, then perhaps someone else will be able to beat them around the world...

:-)

Your sarcasm is always welcomed & appreciated Jon! This section of the bleacher seats always gets it, whether others do or not!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 17:28   #219
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavie01 View Post
Or conversely, what is it about those who view Single-handing as the ultimate trip? Are they so afraid of being with others? Are they dangerously anti-social - a possible sociopath, in fact? Are they so uncomfortable with others that they view people with a normal (meaning most common) desire to share space with others of their species to be somehow inferior or "cowardly"
Oddly YES I am anti- Social. I am very uncomfortable around a lot of people at once. Even at Parties which I don't do anymore, I find anything over 4-6 people very uncomfortable. I just don't do that anymore. Bars or even a dock party are not my thing. Just who I am. Been that way ALL my life too..

I enjoy being by myself and am a major introvert. I read a lot. 4-5 ish books a week for the last 40 odd years. No I don't feel superior or inferior. It's just who I am. I feel completely normal too. I'm also working on being a rather good "crazy cat lady".

Single handing like cycling or hiking is something I enjoy by myself. The first few times were somewhat scary. Now I don't even think about it. It's just what I do and no big deal.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 17:29   #220
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post

When people talk about significant voyages, they use the term solo rather than single-handing. And there needs to be a term for one person operating the boat irrespective of the number of people aboard, and to me that term is single-handing.
Ever hear of the singlehanded TransPac? Singlehanded TransPac | San Francisco to Hanalei Bay – The 19th Edition
The racers are "solo" sailors. So, don't get too hung up on definitions.

Man, this thread is off the rails.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 18:02   #221

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

After a lifetime at sea, I am happily married with grandchildren, retired, reasonably healthy for my age and content with my shoreside existence. However, there was a time in my life that I felt alone, without friends, a job or anything meaningful in my life. The answer?
Go singlehanded sailing for a few months to feel better about life, myself and my future. It worked and I saw the entire west coast from Panama to Alaska, found a vocation, boat deliveries and never looked back. I wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone except myself. After the trip and a myriad of challenges, disappointments and successes, I faced life with an enormous amount of confidence and self worth.
Folks single hand for a variety of reasons... It worked for me at that time in my life. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 18:04   #222
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'm also working on being a rather good "crazy cat lady".
Finally a good reason to not sail alone. I can just hear the commerical:

"Don't become a crazy cat lady sailor. Take along company and just say no to litter box and hair ball fetishes."
Old 08-06-2015, 18:17   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
After a lifetime at sea, I am happily married with grandchildren, retired, reasonably healthy for my age and content with my shoreside existence. However, there was a time in my life that I felt alone, without friends, a job or anything meaningful in my life. The answer?
Go singlehanded sailing for a few months to feel better about life, myself and my future. It worked and I saw the entire west coast from Panama to Alaska, found a vocation, boat deliveries and never looked back. I wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone except myself. After the trip and a myriad of challenges, disappointments and successes, I faced life with an enormous amount of confidence and self worth.
Folks single hand for a variety of reasons... It worked for me at that time in my life. Phil
Good post!

This thread is interesting for me because I was totally unaware that there was so much judgement being cast on people who chose to sail alone either because of choice or necessity.

Honestly I thought all skippers single hand their boat from time to time.

In the first chapter of Moby Dick, Ishmael explains the need to go sailing very nicely "whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle of me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off-- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.".

Is it just me or does it make little sense that only people with lots of friends and family available to go sailing should have the privilege of sailing?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 18:18   #224

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Since I started this thread, I will answer you....

I'm an airline pilot....going on 37 years. I've spent a MAJORITY of my adult "working life" alone on a layover somewhere. ( Drinking beer with crew doesn't count)

No....I'm not afraid of being alone and I'm VERY comfortable with myself. lol

No....I don't HAVE to have someone with me......but I sure as hell enjoy life A LOT more with my smoking hot lady than I would "boating" alone of all things.

Are you a "single handler"?
I sail alone all the time. Prefer company. Would you mind sending a pin up of the smoking hot lady? That might make me feel a lot better. (Bikini pic preferred)

Thanks in advance.

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 21:22   #225

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Good post!

This thread is interesting for me because I was totally unaware that there was so much judgement being cast on people who chose to sail alone either because of choice or necessity.

Honestly I thought all skippers single hand their boat from time to time.

In the first chapter of Moby Dick, Ishmael explains the need to go sailing very nicely "whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle of me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off-- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.".

Is it just me or does it make little sense that only people with lots of friends and family available to go sailing should have the privilege of sailing?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
+1

But to stir the pot.... {Warning: Sarcasm Alert...}

There are FIVE single-handers / live-alone / single live aboard / solo / all-by-themselves types anchored here in the harbour. Selfish twits. Taking up all that anchorage space whilst leaving bare room for the cruising families on cats to toss a hook overboard.

Damn.... Did I just defend some multi-huller types?
Gotta logoff and grab a cold one...
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single