Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 15:37   #1

Boat: Hanse 445 44’
What are your minimum Essential Tools to keep on the boat?

I just acquired a very nice 44’ 3 cabin Monohull. The prior owner left me with a large amount of tools and spare parts. So much in fact that I have little room for provisions for a week long voyage! There’s an entire bag of about 50 allen wrenches for example... not including at least 3 sets of hexagon bits.

I’m going through the boat to weed out everything we don’t need and eliminate redundant items. Do I really need a claw hammer, a wooden mallet, a rubber mallet, axe with a hammer end AND a ball peen hammer if I’m never more than a day or two away from a marine yard?

There are plenty of lists like this one on the web, I’m curious what you all consider your minimum set of tools to have on hand for a week end and week long cruiser.
stulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 15:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: What are your minimum Essential Tools to keep on the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
I just acquired a very nice 44’ 3 cabin Monohull. The prior owner left me with a large amount of tools and spare parts. So much in fact that I have little room for provisions for a week long voyage! There’s an entire bag of about 50 allen wrenches for example... not including at least 3 sets of hexagon bits.

I’m going through the boat to weed out everything we don’t need and eliminate redundant items. Do I really need a claw hammer, a wooden mallet, a rubber mallet, axe with a hammer end AND a ball peen hammer if I’m never more than a day or two away from a marine yard?

There are plenty of lists like this one on the web, I’m curious what you all consider your minimum set of tools to have on hand for a week end and week long cruiser.

Where are you sailing? Day trips in the bay? Transatlantic? Ft Laud to BVI?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 16:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I would worry more about spares than tools But then again if your normally in a marina not a big problem. Week long cruises don't require much. As I personally haven't seen a marina in 5 years I keep the best part of my workshop on the boat including welding gear.
Old 28-01-2021, 16:12   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

the first rule is that whatever tool you don't have is going to be the tool you need

the second rule is 'necessity is the mother of invention'...ie if you are creative, something else will always substitute

cheers,
Old 28-01-2021, 16:20   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

Yeah I'd cut that way back. The main thing to look at is what hardware is on your boat and what tools do you need to work with it. For example, when I bought my boat there was a socket set on board with sockets up to 2". There aren't any bolts or nuts on board over 3/4" so ... why do we have these massive sockets?

There was also a power buffer on board. I'm not going to be using that while I'm out on a cruise, so stuff it in a locker at the marina. The same would be true for anything that is "project" related, like power saws.

If you're short on space, I'd only carry on board tools that would be used to fix broken stuff and get you back to land where the big tools are. Kind of like having a car jack and spare tire.

Tools for diagnosing and fixing electrical problems are probably highest on the list. You want to be able to fix your radio and navigation equipment. Multimeter, wire strippers, crimpers, spare butt connectors and spade connectors, small spools of (marine) wire ... I don't think soldering equipment is necessary while cruising if you're confined on space, but it could be nice to have (though I've only used mine twice in 3 years and was at a dock both times).

Next would probably be engine tools for diagnosing and fixing fuel systems and raw water cooling systems. That would be the necessary sockets and wrenches for disassembling pipe fittings and filters, sharp knife for cutting out ruptured hoses, and spare fittings, hoses, and splicing tools.

I'd be cautious about condensing tools into those interchangeable bit screwdrivers, for example. I find them flimsy, cumbersome, and often too large to get into tight spaces on boats. But I do have a nice set of Wiha screwdrivers that have full shank bits and one handle. It still condenses a dozen or more screwdriver heads into a nice small space.

There are some specialty tools that you really need to identify in your kit and make sure they are functional. There are special wrenches for things like raw water strainer caps. You can get them open without the special wrench but it's a royal struggle that you don't want to have if you're already dealing with a failure at sea, or even in an anchorage but just want to get the engine running

If you're looking for a specific list of tools, I don't think anyone can provide that. You, your boat, and your intended voyages, are unique and no one here is doing what you're doing. It's more an evaluation of needs. I've hauled probably a hundred pounds of tools on and off the boat as I've modified my tool box based on perceived and actual needs. It'll be a learning experience for sure.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 16:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For example, when I bought my boat there was a socket set on board with sockets up to 2". There aren't any bolts or nuts on board over 3/4" so ... why do we have these massive sockets?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Next would probably be engine tools for diagnosing and fixing fuel systems and raw water cooling systems. That would be the necessary sockets and wrenches for disassembling pipe fittings and filters, sharp knife for cutting out ruptured hoses, and spare fittings, hoses, and splicing tools.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with the electrical approach, not much other than heavy wire you should do without.

Fuel Systems: I had a set of deep well sockets that in your case I'd leave home. Except for this story: (I was at the dock at the time, but this could well have happened after I got to my first anchorage.)

Fuel Filter Hose Barb Replacement

I decided to stay on board the night before my trip to Roche Harbor for the May 2017 Catalina Rendezvous. I’m sure glad I did, because when I checked under the head sink door, something didn’t look right – there was a dangling 3/8” hose. It was the fuel hose from the tank to the Racor. There oddly wasn’t a bad diesel smell.

I inspected the end of the hanging hose and found the hose barb firmly embedded. I removed the still-intact hose clamps, sliced a small section of the end of the hose and removed the barb with needle nose pliers. The other end of the broken fitting was inside the top of the Racor, which I removed with a regular socket on an extender bar.

My family had dropped me off and gone home, so I was without a car. It was getting on late afternoon. I went up to the very small marine store in our marina and asked friendly Jim if he “had one of these” – showing him the broken fitting. “Oh, I have a bunch of things like that, but not that size. I can order it for you. Or you can just drive into Duncan and get one at the auto parts store.” I explained my predicament with no car, and plans for leaving early tomorrow morning. He said he’d be glad to help me with another idea, but he had to call in an order first. While he was doing that, I was silently trying to figure out what I’d do. It was getting almost too late to call my family to come back and get me and then hightail it to the auto parts store this afternoon before it closed, which could delay my departure the following morning. Jim finally got off the phone, and then gave me the phone number of the Yamaha diesel mechanic right next door. When I said I didn’t have a phone either, he called and said, “Hey, Doug, where ya at? Anywhere near Maple Bay Marina? I gotta fella here who needs a part. Yeah, OK, I’ll send him over.” He said to me, “Doug’s just getting in his truck, so hurry on over.”

Sure enough, Doug had one foot in his truck as I approached. I showed him the fitting, and he rummaged around in a big bag of hose barbs that he pulled out from his glove compartment and found one. He asked if I wanted a 90 degree elbow one. Since I had to cut off that small slice of hose, I said, “Yes.” He looked some more and said, “Sorry, don’t got one.” “Ok,” I said, “do you have two feet of 3/8” fuel hose?” He did, in a big box inside his office. Now that I had the parts the time pressure was off, so I casually waited while he figured out how much to charge me, pulling his cell phone out to check the price of the parts. I said, “Here’s five bucks.” “Oh, no, that’s not enough, the barb is more than four itself.” “OK, here’s ten, will that do it?” “OK.” I thanked him and went back to the boat. A True Island Time story. West Marine was never this much fun.

I realized that the regular socket would not work to attach the new fitting to the Racor, because the barb stuck out so far. When we first got Aquavite in 1998, I had purchased sets of metric and SAE deep well sockets, which I had never had to use. Until now. I even knew where they were! I found the right sized one and installed the screw end into the Racor. Even though I had bought the two feet of extra fuel hose, I found that I could just get the remaining length of fuel hose onto the barb without too much persuasion. I tightened up the two hose clamps so the fuel input was complete.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 16:32   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

1st hard and fast rule is never throw out tools or a doo-dad that you don't know what it is for.

2nd rule is wait for a year and you can see what you use and dispose of the rest.

3rd rule is that extra tools you can spare is a good way to make new cruiser friends.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:32   #8

Boat: Hunter 37C
What are your minimum Essential Tools to keep on the boat?

You’ll need them all and likely more at some point. Maybe not always onboard if you spend most of your time at a marina but they’re there for a reason. The minute you get rid of
one that is when your going to need it.

I thought I had a decent amount of
Tools before I moved onboard but boy was I wrong.

I’d say I have easily three times the storage space dedicated to tools, SS hardware, wire and basic spare parts as food.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You need one box end and one socket for every size of bolt aboard. One each of every size screwdriver. A hand brace and lots of bits for drilling holes. Tap and die set. One set allen wrenches. One ball peen hammer. Folding ruler. One each assorted pliers (vise grips, channel locks, etc.). Maybe a chisel or two and some whetstones, and a splicing kit. Prob'ly a few more things I can't think of....oh, a handsaw, a hacksaw, and some spare blades. Couple of clamps for holding things down.
Old 28-01-2021, 20:45   #10

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
You need one box end and one socket for every size of bolt aboard. One each of every size screwdriver. A hand brace and lots of bits for drilling holes. Tap and die set. One set allen wrenches. One ball peen hammer. Folding ruler. One each assorted pliers (vise grips, channel locks, etc.). Maybe a chisel or two and some whetstones, and a splicing kit. Prob'ly a few more things I can't think of....oh, a handsaw, a hacksaw, and some spare blades. Couple of clamps for holding things down.

Good list, I would add
  • Mixed size zip ties
  • Duct tape
  • SS wire in various sizes/lengths
  • Dyneema lengths in various sizes
  • Gas torch/soldering iron
  • heat shrink and connectors
  • multimeter
  • Sail stickyback repair offcuts/rolls
  • Boxcutter
  • Tomahawk
  • boltcutters (stays and fishing hooks)
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 21:32   #11

Boat: Colegate 26

You guys are a bunch of insane prepper hoarders. He doesn't need hardly any of that on the boat if he's always going to be near the marina. If he needs it at all it can live in a dock box at the marina, or wait until he needs one and go buy it at the local store.

Did you even read his post?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 22:23   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

Hammers are a bit like power tools, you need a fair variety of them. I'd add say a four pounder to that list if you want to handle all contingencies.
Old 29-01-2021, 03:12   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
You guys are a bunch of insane prepper hoarders. He doesn't need hardly any of that on the boat if he's always going to be near the marina. If he needs it at all it can live in a dock box at the marina, or wait until he needs one and go buy it at the local store.

Did you even read his post?
I've used most of the tools I mentioned when out daysailing: you never know when you need a vise grip, or to tighten a nut here and there, or take apart your carburetor so you can get back to the mooring. With a few basic tools always aboard, I can do quick maintenance without having to pack tools from home. On a 44-footer, the OP has room for a few basic tools: and that's what he was asking about.
Old 29-01-2021, 06:06   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Easy. If you don't use a tool in a 12 month period and it doesn't look like it was custom made for something, take it home. You just need to be able to get yourself out of trouble to get back to port, not be capable of doing a complete on the water refit!

My tools include a bunch of compact stuff like screwdrivers with interchangeable bits, a 3/8" and 1/4" drive socket set instead of 1/2". One of the best investments I ever made was an el-cheapo spanner set in a roll up wallet that has every conceivable spanner up to about 1" and, because it's cheapo and has multiple spanners covering each size bolt, it will never, ever be at risk of having any of it's items going overboard! Of course, for the most commonly used tools it makes sense to carry backups. Allen keys and 10mm sockets/spanners spring immediately to mind.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 06:13   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Do I really need a claw hammer, a wooden mallet, a rubber mallet, axe with a hammer end AND a ball peen hammer if I’m never more than a day or two away from a marine yard?
You could do with something for ice and a none sparking hammer plus matching chisel set is always useful. I Agree with Raymond, adding a 4lb is always useful for bashing stuff from crab claws to chain joining links.

I carry a 2" vice which clamps to the companion way steps, very useful along with a basic set of other tools. As already suggested, spare are perhaps more important. A selection of hoses particularly sizes that match the engine. Some spare wire and one I keep meaning to add is enough fuel hose to completely by pass the existing copper pipe system.

As for "read the OPs post", what on a forum? no one ever does that

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat