Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 06:25   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: What are your minimum Essential Tools to keep on the boat?

Also remember that most marine yards won't loan tools, so you may be near a marine yard but unless you plan on paying them to fix something you are going to need those tools.

I often acquire new tools because of a new project and the tools we have don't quite meet the need.

I use my claw hammer all the time for all sorts of things, the ball peen is useful for getting some force into a small area where your stroke isn't long, and the rubber mallet is awesome for not damaging things that need help. The wooden mallet can probably go.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 06:40   #17

Boat: Morgan 382

This is largely dictated by where you are, and how long you will be away from help. IMHO you need a lot less than many people carry-unless you will be in a remote place for a very long time. But if you are sailing port to port, even crossing oceans, where there is a hardware store at the next port, then all you need is enough to get you there.

A basic wrench and socket set, doubling up on common sizes. If not in the set, add channel lock pliers, and an adjustable wrench. A screwdriver set, a hacksaw, Allen key set, and a hammer.

A basic electrical set with wirecutters, crimp-tool and terminals, meter, and extra wire.

All of that should fit in a single bag you can carry with one hand. For weekend and day sails in radio range of help you could do with even less.
Old 29-01-2021, 08:22   #18

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Take a look at this article from practical sailor as a starting point. Tool Buying Guide for the Cruising Sailor october3, 2018
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:30   #19

My minimum essential tool on the boat.

miketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:33   #20

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Ditto
Old 29-01-2021, 08:38   #21

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
the first rule is that whatever tool you don't have is going to be the tool you need

the second rule is 'necessity is the mother of invention'...ie if you are creative, something else will always substitute
Love this and I've found it to be true.

Whats missing for me about your OP is the age and condition of your boat, and whether you prefer to DIY or hire jobs out.

As a full time liveaboard cruiser who prefers to DIY, I'm constantly encountering the "First Rule" above, which has caused me to accumulate lots of tools over the years, most of which I'm always glad to have and usually need to use again.

After struggling many times with the "Second Rule" above I've learned the value of having the right tool for the job.

Some examples-

This Milwaukee Multi-Tool change my life and was one of the first tools I needed after selling our house to move aboard.

I used the above for all my cutting needs, including SS and steel, then when I had to cut out a fuel tank, I finally got a real grinder (Milwaukee of course, to use the same batteries) which always seems to be needed on a cruiser like ours.

OK, now I have a kick butt multi tool and grinder, but for those small jobs I often yearned for a dremel. Last year I finally broke down and got one and now I find I use it all the time.

My latest project is crafting and installing a fuel transfer system between the Port and SB fuel tanks and to be able to remotely fill my new diesel heater day tank as well as pull fuel out into jerry cans if needed.

Well, the Racor Fuel Polishing pump I tapped into for this purpose is creating too much PSI for the 1/4 inch hose and fittings of the fuel transfer system and I'm having a hell of a time stopping leaks with regular hose clamps, so I finally broke down and purchased an ear clamp kit so I can install fuel hoses like the pros. It's not expensive, solves a big problem, and allows me to be more self sufficient.

If the above DIY examples turn you on and you want to be able to do that, you WANT the right tools and will find places to put them. If not, have the basics on board and hire help.

Like all boaters, my boat does not have unlimited space, but having the tools I need on board gives me freedom from boat yards and expensive mechanics and boatwrights.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:40   #22

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
..............There are plenty of lists like this one on the web, I’m curious what you all consider your minimum set of tools to have on hand for a week end and week long cruiser.
The tool list in the link above plus filter wrench, electric hot rope cutter and heat gun is what I maintain on both of my boats. On my powerboat I have caged work light with a retractable poer cord in th engine bay to augment overhead dc/ac lighting. In addition, I maintain replacement filter, belts, bulbs, batteries, etc.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:12   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There are a few tools that I found very useful while cruising, but not common among the household or automotive tools.

A large pipette such as a "turkey baster" can be very useful to move some fluids,- topping off a fuel filter or removing fluid in difficult access spaces. l also kept some Tygon tubing (Aquarium tubing) that could fit to the pipette for tight spaces or a long reach.

A soft "snake" auger can be very useful too. I kept a leash from a surf board with the ankle strap and link to the board cut off. This can be shoved into the hose leading to a clogged through-hull or passed through heat exchange tubes to clear debris such as a mud coating in AC heat exchange coils. Some small diameter wood dowels are better in some cases or a piece of wire cable with care taken not to cause damage.

A mirror on an extension or one of those devices that people call a cell phone "selfy-stick" in order to get a view of inaccessible areas in the engine room or wire pathways behind other equipment can be extremely valuable.

I'm sure others on the forum could recommend other tools like these that are more unique to working on a boat.
Old 29-01-2021, 09:30   #24

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I read the OPs post and the link he had to the "Life of Sailing" website and ROFLMAO.

Who the hell carries a hand axe to cut lines on their boat besides Captain Jack Aubrey on the HMS Surprise?

Maybe someone should tell Daniel Wade (author of posts on the aforementioned site) that serrated knifes work much better than a hand axe for cutting lines in an emergency! LOL
Old 29-01-2021, 09:45   #25

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
the first rule is that whatever tool you don't have is going to be the tool you need

the second rule is 'necessity is the mother of invention'...ie if you are creative, something else will always substitute

cheers,
I thought the second rule is "if you have the tool you need, you will drop it overboard."

Which then leads to rule..."necessity i the mother of invention; e.g. vise-grips can sometimes be used to extract stripped out pan-head screws or hold bolt heads. (And if you haven't done this...your probably lying or you haven't worked on boats much.)

I got rid of every single common head screw on my boat (other than a few electronic connectors). But, keep 2 common head screwdrivers.

I do keep duplicate tools of my most commonly used tools (because of my rule #2). I have a "ready bag" with most commonly used tools. Stored in a location under the cabin sole are more complete tool kit with dups and less common tools, and another kit with rarely used tools...e.g. wood and metal files, claw hammer, tap & die set, rivet gun, etc. (But, I like to be as self sufficient as possible.)
Old 29-01-2021, 10:13   #26

I spent years trail riding dirtbikes deep into the woods. This required carrying some spares (plug, tubes) and tools (tire spoons, air pump, sockets, wrenches, screwdriver). However, it also required the smallest toolkit in size and weight. I only carried exactly what I needed. (Example, Honda motorcycles only use even sized metric, so....no SAE and no odd sized metric. Limited allens in metric, so no need to carry the entire set). No need for multiple screwdriver if you can use a universal driver with bits.

Put a tool on each, nut, bolt, screw etc. keep only those. You can either keep exactly what you need, or exactly what will work. Deep sockets will work on any bolt or nut, but standard won't work where a deep socket is needed.

Only work out of your boat tool bag. Add what you need and remove what you don't. I had a boat that only had a torx heads of one size on the engine cowl. No need to carry an entire torx set. I kept one t-handle torx in that size only.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:17   #27

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

For source of another list of tools to have if you eventually migrate to be a liveaboard is, BoatUS magazine, Oct/Nov 2020 issue authored by tom neale. Acouple of highlites: locking forceps to retrieve tiny things, carrot peeler for cleaning out small thru-hulls...but one of my favorites are these adjustable wrenches from KNIPEX Plier Wrench Set, Ergonomic, 3 Pcs (albeit a bit $$$). thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:25   #28

Boat: Swan 43

The points about appetite for DIY (and the skills and knowledge to do it) and type of sailing are well made. To join in with the unhelpful extending of the list I have two tools on board that haven’t been mentioned:

- a T headed box spanner the right size for hose clamp heads. At arms length in the dark round the back of something it will fast become your favourite tool ever.
- a set of fibreglass electrician’s rods. My boat has lots of lovely ducts for cable and hose runs...
TomNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:32   #29

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

See which tools are missing and those are the tools you will need. Such as the allen wrench for the zincs. Or the 5mm socket for the impeller cover. And electrical fasteners that are depleted. Don't forget new batteries for the multimeter. All the rest are for show.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:43   #30

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hammers are a bit like power tools, you need a fair variety of them. I'd add say a four pounder to that list if you want to handle all contingencies.
And a rubber hammer!
(and two shorty screwdrivers, allen and flat)
(and two multimeter, cheap, but batteries go suddenly flat and they cost nothing)
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat