Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
West Coast Delivery - Running the Gauntlet . . .

Time for a break from my insane schedule so we are fixing to drive down to Frisco to pick up a Hudson force 50 and sail her back up to the yard. She's a bit rough in some spots but not too bad.

Overall:

Interior:

and

Deck:

Bad sprit:

and

I figure we can screw on some plates to hold that sprit together and only fly a yankee in light air. This thing has a big staysail that we can fly when it gets up to 30 knots (which it will).

All in all, a nice escape from my seven day a week two job bullshyte.
Here's a slideshow for those who wanna see more.

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee13/CharlieCobra03/Hudson%2050/?albumview=slideshow

PassageWeather is showing a 960 mb low spinning in the Gulf of Alaska that my drop on us. I know we'll get 30+ around Mendicino, never fails.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Re: West Coast Delivery - Running the Gauntlet . . .

I know Rich (S/V Third Day) has a Hudson exactly , well in a little betteer condition but..., he's in Mexico and loves that ol boat.
You're gonna love her.
Great find.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't know if I would trust anything other than replacing that sprit. Maybe two aluminum plates thru-bolted on each side of the sprit if the rot is not too far aft on the sprit. I would chip out all the rot and get some copper green in there now to help preserve what is left.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 19:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

We probably won't fly the yankee. I'll replace it completely when we get her home. If it's too bad, I'll build one on site.
Old 05-09-2011, 19:31   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Looks like the engine has been replaced so you can gunkhole motorsailing without being more than a day or so from port to hide even if you have to back track a bit to avoid the worst of the weather. I'd be inclined to sister up the bowsprit with aluminium or steel plates before leaving. I'd keep an eye on the bowsprit because of the stress of what a head-on buck places on the rig day in day out headed north. Make sure the dolphin striker is tight and the attachment points are sound but I'm probably mentioning stuff you already know... certainly looks like a a very doable project once you get her home... good luck, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 19:47   #6

I wouldn't do it on that bowsprit. Getting a replacement cut would take a month and cost ~500, I'm doing the same thing right now on my hc which has 1/10th the damage that that one does. Just way too much stress up there and I'm betting if you took a screwdriver to that thing you could expose a lot more rot than just what's already broken off.

I think it falls into one of those deals where there's a 90% chance of success but boy oh boy would that 10% suck to experience. Have you checked the rest of the rig?

Really not trying to be a negative Nancy on this. Just spooked to see that much going on.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd carve one from solid wood. I'll have my spokeshaves and planers with me.
Old 05-09-2011, 20:30   #8

Boat: Orca 38

Let me know if you want company!
Old 05-09-2011, 20:40   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Gotta agree with Rebel Heart! Not fit for sea as is. Doubly so with the given voyage.

ymmv.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:48   #10

It's just work gentlemen. I don't believe anyone is suggesting it go to sea in it's present condition.

With no Yankee flown and a thorough go through of the structure and adding, subtracting, modifying or indeed "carving one out of solid wood" as needed on site and then bring her home for a refit. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 05-09-2011, 21:00   #11

I can think of two (and I'm sure there's more) down and dirty methods to stabilize that bowsprit as is and sail it with full sail if need be. It may not win any beauty contest but it wouldn't fail either and would indeed be stronger than it probably ever was.
Old 05-09-2011, 23:43   #12

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

If you're not already a member, there is a mountain of information and support here Force 50 and Formosa 51 Owners Group

Good bunch of helpful, enthusiastic, experienced owners.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

I would use the steel plates (it is temporary right?) But before doing that I would soak it with penetrating epoxy. It takes the punky wood and binds everything together into a structural solid. Not a longterm fix but worth it for the trip up the coast.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I would use the steel plates (it is temporary right?) But before doing that I would soak it with penetrating epoxy. It takes the punky wood and binds everything together into a structural solid. Not a long term fix but worth it for the trip up the coast.
it could be that replacing the sprit properly although roughly could be the best answer, as the seas and winds thru which the boat will be sailed could well require stressing that sprit.... the sprit goes all the way to the bits and to almost a foot abaft that point.
the condition of the sprit i could see looks to me as if it wont do well as a fulcrum, which it is designed to be.....could be untrustworthy after bandaid therapy. they are attached at the bits and bobstay fittings only... the grate on top for walking to foresail is screwed into the sprit. those atachment points for the grate are bad and the strut forward of the rotty one also looks rotty--there are cracks in it. even woith a rough bit of wood replacing the sprit fopr the trip would be better i think than bandaiding it with a sleeve---unless that sleeve went from bits to sprit end.....that would be more difficult than the replacement of the sprit itself, methinks.... charlie will know more when he looks at it-- but that is jmho.... the mast wont fall--is keel stepped... but it can break. the forestaysail rig is able to keep the mast in decent shape when sprit breaks.... not recommended for long travels....
have fun charlie and please post many pics--i enjoy your rebuilds!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39   #15

I don't have any advice for ya, as there are plenty of words of wisdom here. Only you can decide what you need to do.

Sounds like the beginning of a great adventure tho. Fair winds, Mate!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery