Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 20:34   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Water Proofing a Miwaukee Right Angle Drill as a electric winch handel

Since I turned 70, it was time for me to find a way to keep sailing for the next 5 years or so. As a solution I bought a Milwaukee 0721-20 28V 1/2" Cordless Right Angle Drill because I can added backup batterys to use as an electric winch handel with a winch socket fitting.

I realize the risk of using it in driving wet condions it will have a short life. Question - Does anyone have the experence and a solution on how to best to water proof it?
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 20:42   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Water Proofing a Miwaukee Right Angle Drill as a electric winch handel

Kryg, we were faced with the same problem when we bought ours. Our response was Ann sewing up a sunbrella "shroud" which covers the body, but not the chuck or handle area. Not water proof, but does help keep rain or spray off of the more sensitive bits. Has worked so far (fingers crossed). We posted a photo of this in a previous thread on the subject... a google search will likely find it (I don't remember the title).

Jim
Old 19-10-2015, 03:40   #3

Spray it full of CRC or CorrosionX, I mean full until it is running out of every opening.
Most of us use either to protect the electronics in electric rc race boats. Works great some of the setups pull close to 200 amps and speeds well north of 60mph in with a 34" boat!
Recievers, servos, speed controls all get well coated.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 04:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine came with a neoprene sleeve, sort of like a beer bottle coozy, I believe it's mostly to protect the boat and it seems to do that well, but it will block airflow, so if your going to use it for extended heavy use like hauling someone up the mast, remove it, but for normal use it's been fine.
I do tend to try to protect the thing from spray though.
This page has a cover you can buy if your not handy with a sewing machine
http://www.thecranker.com/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:11   #5

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I've had my 18 volt Milwaukee RHD for 10 years and it is still going strong. I used 1" foam pipe insulation split open and then taped around the handle with the cooling vents cut out. It protects the boat and insulates the handle. I've looked into the newer, larger voltage ones but can't justify the expenditure with this one still working.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wait until you price extra batteries for the 28V, best i could find is $140 by the time you pay tax etc. in the US.
If you commit to the Milwaukee drill, have a look at the vacuum that uses the same battery, sort of a little shop vac and works great
Old 19-10-2015, 09:08   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

We've been using the (less voltage) 18v Milw drill for the last 4 years. It is an absolute godsend; we use it for furling the H/S under load, for going up the mast, launching and recovering the 3.3m RIB from the foredeck, and furling the S/S....oh, and for some drilling needs as well. We protected the drill by covering the vent slots, applying multiple coats of the rubbery liquid vinyl over everything from the chuck back to the handle, and then reopening the cooling slots. After 4+years of cruising we've got a little surface rust on the chuck....and no other issues. With one extra battery it's always ready to go to work. A great piece of kit if you don't have electric or hyd winches.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 10:30   #8

How long does the battery charge last?
Dennis1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 11:57   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

Dennis1679...not to be a smartaZX about it, but it depends on how much we're using it. On average, I'd guess we swap out the battery about every 2-3 weeks. And when we swap it out, we put the spent battery on the charger for a couple of hours, then store it until we need it. If we're doing a lot of going up the mast, or raising/lowering the RIB, we may have to change it more often. But-bottom line- it's not often enough to be a PITA-hardly noticeable! And we only carry 2 batts-1 in use and 1 waiting. The only downside is-the drill is somewhat heavy to handle.....but it sure beats cranking on the winch when the 135% Jenny is loaded, the winds come up, and the Admiral's favorite words are....."we need to reef-now"!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 12:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1679 View Post
How long does the battery charge last?
For me it's a full day of sailing and it's down to 50%, but it charges fast, maybe an hour tops?
Old 19-10-2015, 17:13   #11

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Wait until you price extra batteries for the 28V, best i could find is $140 by the time you pay tax etc. in the US.
If you commit to the Milwaukee drill, have a look at the vacuum that uses the same battery, sort of a little shop vac and works great
Ebay Aust is selling for AUD 180 = USD 130 2 battierys or AUD 89 for one battiery that are unbranded. here is the link.
2 PCS 28V Cordless Battery FOR Milwaukee 3000mAh Drill V28 0719 22 0721 21 Tool | eBay
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 18:01   #12

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

Waterproofing aside, when buying extra/replacement batteries you should know that Milwauke told me a couple years ago when I was buying extra battery for mine that the battery has only about an 18 month shelf life.
They gave me the production date codeing stamped on the battery, (damn-it I can't remember it)
but recomended that I have a hardware store special order a battery thereby assuring that it will be relatively fresh and consequently last the longest.
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 18:04   #13

Boat: C&C

I've had my 28V for 4 years and love it. I get 4 hoists of the Main on my 2 speed Lewmar's. Mast height is approx. 53 ft off the water and the main is very heavy on our 38 ft Cat with 6 full length round fiberglass battens. As others mentioned, the battery charges pretty quickly. I have the option of using the windlass, but this is far easier and safer for me. Get one!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 04:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

MILWAUKEE:

Date Codes ➥ https://www.markssupply.ca/ASSETS/DO...Data_Sheet.pdf

Warranty ➥ http://www1.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Se...rranty_FIN.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 19:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Since I turned 70, it was time for me to find a way to keep sailing for the next 5 years or so. As a solution I bought a Milwaukee 0721-20 28V 1/2" Cordless Right Angle Drill because I can added backup batterys to use as an electric winch handel with a winch socket fitting.

I realize the risk of using it in driving wet condions it will have a short life. Question - Does anyone have the experence and a solution on how to best to water proof it?
I have seen a sleeve on line for these. I think it was the same guy that was selling the winch bits.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, winch, water