Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 14:50   #196

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Water maker or not?

This thread becomes shallower instead of deeper the longer it continues.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:50   #197

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Unsubscribed.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:50   #198

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We definitely do not wash or rinse clothes in saltwater.

We have on order a device called a Dolfi that is maybe the size of a hockey puck and uses ultrasonic waves to wash the clothes. This should save a considerable amount of water and time if it actually works.

Dolfi
"Put your clothes in waterproof container, add water, detergent and Dolfi. Switch the device on and enjoy your free time!"

How do you see this saving water? It just replaces the normal agitation of hand washing or a machine with ultrasonic vibrations in the same amount of water and detergent.

And it's still just a pipedream on Indiego, despite the fancy website. Hope you haven't already paid for it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/d...ashing-device#
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 15:07   #199

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
"Put your clothes in waterproof container, add water, detergent and Dolfi. Switch the device on and enjoy your free time!"

How do you see this saving water? It just replaces the normal agitation of hand washing or a machine with ultrasonic vibrations in the same amount of water and detergent.

And it's still just a pipedream on Indiego, despite the fancy website. Hope you haven't already paid for it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/d...ashing-device#
I believe it does work, its a simple technology.

I'm going to try it without detergent and see how it works. At the very least we will be able to cut down on our rinse cycles because we will use less water (we do two currently).

Also, try doing smaller loads in the sink more often.

However, having a watermaker would make this kinda moot.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 16:57   #200
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep, on one boat I charged batt's, made 25 gal water and froze the fridge plates from the engine in one hour. Less than 1/2 gal of fuel. Although I'm not that fond of engine drive refrig.
On the LA ruina we do that with solar alone just not as much water charge batteries till about noon or earlier, switch on the water maker make about 5 gallons water and freeze the holding plate in the refer. Using no diesel at all . The boat came with a katadyn 35E already installed.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:36   #201

Boat: Knysna 480

I don't make water in dirty harbors. I will make water while underway, and in nice clear water.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:49   #202

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
On the LA ruina we do that with solar alone just not as much water charge batteries till about noon or earlier, switch on the water maker make about 5 gallons water and freeze the holding plate in the refer. Using no diesel at all . The boat came with a katadyn 35E already installed.
That's good news to me. I'm just figuring out solar panels. I realize one must design a system for ones own needs, but I like having a real life example of what solar is capable of.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 08:24   #203

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Ok, so exactly what turbidity can I make water in if I get a water maker?

I have a dish washer, small tankage and would love to please female guests with normal showers (propane on demand water heater).

I want a water maker, but feel I'll never get to use it.

Can I use it...

1) Anchored in Biscayne Bay?
2) Anchored in the Chesapeake?
3) Anchored In the tannin filled Dismal Swamp Route?
4) As I'm motoring down the ICW?

Where can i NOT use a watermaker?
In the past 4 months, we have run our water maker without issue in Biscayne Bay, throughout the Chesapeake, down the Virginia Cut Route (would also have no issues in the DS) and in the ICW. We are currently making water in the Vero Beach Marina mooring field.

The only place on earth so far that we have found we cannot run our water maker is in Thomson Bay Long Island Bahamas. There, the powder-fine sand is suspended in the water to the extent that it looks milky. Filters clog so fast that it is impossible to make water.

Oil is the big killer of water makers in regards to harbors. If there is no oil, then there is no issue making water (assuming one is not in Thompson Bay conditions). The people fretting water quality for health reasons do not understand RO.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 08:36   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
We have cruised for years with 200 gallon (750 litre) tank capacity. What seems to get ignored in the "free water" debate is that in general you are trading fuel for water. If a generator uses 1/2 gallon of fuel in an hour where the watermaker makes 6 gallons an hour you have traded 1 part fuel for 12 parts water.

For us, so far, the calculus has been we'll have to trade "looking for water" in a marina or dock more often for "looking for fuel" more often. I know solar panels or wind generators and big battery banks are all the talk, but I've never met a cruiser who was actually able to survive doing that.
In our case, we trade 0.3gal of diesel for 33gal of water, plus one hour of battery charging through our 120A charger, plus heating 11gal of hot water if we want it, plus having all AC chargers on the boat charging our devices for an hour. If it is hot and muggy, we get an hour of icy cold air conditioning as a bonus.

We carry 100gal of water and 120gal of diesel. We would need to look for water every 10 days vs. fuel every 400hrs of run time (and 48,000 AH of battery charging, 4,400 gallons of hot water, and 400 days of cool, dry bliss right before bed).

For us, the trade for "looking for water" is a no-brainer and a much worse situation. This is particularly true in areas where there is no water to be found, or the water that is available is pretty rank (many places actually label it "non-potable").

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-10-2015, 08:42   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Sometimes we get gross misinformation on the net including here

"Very bad idea - the salt that will be on the cloth is hygroscopic.
The towel will never dry out and become smelly"

Salt is indeed hydroscopic, it sucks the moisture out of its
surroundings. That is why it is good for preserving meat.
No; salt water will not make your towels hard to dry or smelly.
Here in Florida our hot sun drys and deodorizes almost everything.
To remove the dried salt you only need to shake them. If you
throw them below wet they may mildew and stink before they dry.
We must travel through different and special areas of FL compared to those you travel in. The most misleading information in this thread so far is this post from you.

Leave your area of FL for someplace like the Western Caribe or the Chesapeake or New England and see how things are in the real world.

Mark

Old 24-10-2015, 11:37   #206

l'm sold!!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In the past 4 months, we have run our water maker without issue in Biscayne Bay, throughout the Chesapeake, down the Virginia Cut Route (would also have no issues in the DS) and in the ICW. We are currently making water in the Vero Beach Marina mooring field.

The only place on earth so far that we have found we cannot run our water maker is in Thomson Bay Long Island Bahamas. There, the powder-fine sand is suspended in the water to the extent that it looks milky. Filters clog so fast that it is impossible to make water.

Oil is the big killer of water makers in regards to harbors. If there is no oil, then there is no issue making water (assuming one is not in Thompson Bay conditions). The people fretting water quality for health reasons do not understand RO.

Mark
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 21:42   #207
cruiser

We have two water makers, one is a 240v 100 LPH and the other is a 12v portable we use as backup and also when camping. We got both from an Australian Perth company called H2O on the Go, there prices are in Australian dollars so would be only like $2500 for USA with our crappy dollar. Worth a look and a comparison, we have not had an ounce of trouble with either system.
H2O on the Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 20:16   #208
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete and Jo View Post
We have two water makers, one is a 240v 100 LPH and the other is a 12v portable we use as backup and also when camping. We got both from an Australian Perth company called H2O on the Go, there prices are in Australian dollars so would be only like $2500 for USA with our crappy dollar. Worth a look and a comparison, we have not had an ounce of trouble with either system.
Just looked up the 12 v DC units and they are really power hungry 15 amp draw and only 12 Ltr per hour which means about 5 ah per gallon product water heck my katadyn 35E only uses 3.5 ah per gallon product water and about the same price USD.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water