Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 10:55   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Viking Hoard Found in Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
For those interested in the genetics of Great Britain and Ireland, read Oxford geneticist/archeologist Brian Sykes "Blood of the Isles," 2006. Sykes is a prolific and engaging author dealing with discovering our true roots. Also, "Saxons, Vikings and Celts," 2007. If you want to trace your patrilineal/matrilineal roots, you can send your sample to Oxford for complete analysis. You might be surprised with the results as was a native White English Nationalist who had African DNA as a result of an early ancestor who came to Britain during the Roman occupation. Maybe that's how you Brits learned to break dance! Good luck and good ancestry.
thanks for posting
I belive all homo sapiensl have African DNA since that is where all early man came from!

unless you belive mao tse tung,who fostered the idea during the cultural revolution that the Chinese were totally separate and did not evolve from early man in Africa like the rest of us "brake dancers"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 11:03   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
For those interested in the genetics of Great Britain and Ireland, read Oxford geneticist/archeologist Brian Sykes "Blood of the Isles," 2006. Sykes is a prolific and engaging author dealing with discovering our true roots. Also, "Saxons, Vikings and Celts," 2007. If you want to trace your patrilineal/matrilineal roots, you can send your sample to Oxford for complete analysis. You might be surprised with the results as was a native White English Nationalist who had African DNA as a result of an early ancestor who came to Britain during the Roman occupation. Maybe that's how you Brits learned to break dance! Good luck and good ancestry.
Being Welsh, German, Swede and Dane as best I know. I'm happy with that. Not sure I want to delve any deeper. I might not like what I find?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 11:31   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I belive all homo sapiensl have African DNA since that is where all early man came from! Atoll

Atoll,
The Out of Africa model is slowly unraveling due to the ability of scientists to extract DNA from early human remains. The new theory being debated is that there were several separate and distinct branches of Man that did not share DNA and developed in isolation. For example, recent finds have proven that all Europeans possess 2-3% of Neanderthal DNA. The only group that does not is native Africans. Prior to DNA, anthropologists believed that Neanderthal Man became extinct with the arrival of Modern Man-Homo Sapiens. We now know that this was not the case and that they interbred with "modern humans." For years, much of this evidence was conveniently ignored by PC anthropologists whose agenda was "Out of Africa" or nothing. Science in ancient Latin means to know. It should never be stifled. www.sci-news.com/.../science-neanderthal-genes-modern-...
Old 15-10-2014, 11:56   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"I belive all homo sapiensl have African DNA since that is where all early man came from! Atoll

Atoll,
The Out of Africa model is slowly unraveling due to the ability of scientists to extract DNA from early human remains. The new theory being debated is that there were several separate and distinct branches of Man that did not share DNA and developed in isolation. For example, recent finds have proven that all Europeans possess 2-3% of Neanderthal DNA. The only group that does not is native Africans. Prior to DNA, anthropologists believed that Neanderthal Man became extinct with the arrival of Modern Man-Homo Sapiens. We now know that this was not the case and that they interbred with "modern humans." For years, much of this evidence was conveniently ignored by PC anthropologists whose agenda was "Out of Africa" or nothing. Science in ancient Latin means to know. It should never be stifled. www.sci-news.com/.../science-neanderthal-genes-modern-...
thanks for the analyasis it is a very interesting period of human evoloution!
I grew up about 5 kilometres from sterkfontein caves, south africa where some of the earliest remains of early man were found!
Old 15-10-2014, 12:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Screw the Vikings and the @&&@#&$ Tutors and the @#^&*$ Germans!

The Welsh are the true heirs of Britain.

Genes show Welsh are the true Britons - Telegraph
I used to work with a guy who said he was Welsh even though he was born in Scotland....

He vandalized my truck one day by putting a Welsh flag on the radiator grill.

This was a mistake.... I ain't taking that kind of insult from a Scottish Welsh Wanna Be!

For the Fourth Of July, I put a full size US flag on his front door, attached a small US flag on his car and using the same small flags, I bought couple dozen, , placed the flags on the railing going to his apartment as well as around his desk at work.

His neighbor pitched in with a boom box over looking the landing. When my Scottish/Welsh Wanna Be coworker came home, the neighbor hit the button to play The US National Anthem!

The flags and music must have worked because now he is a US Citizen, even though he said he was Welsh in spite of being born in Scotland. The US will take anyone it seems. Even a salted monkey.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 12:44   #21

Well I never ....... 'redroof' got a mention on CF,

We cornish keep our gene pool tight, my grandparents were first cousins and the family has been six generations in the same village!

I always say ' it explains a lot ' when I do something daft !

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 12:54   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Well I never ....... 'redroof' got a mention on CF,

We cornish keep our gene pool tight, my grandparents were first cousins and the family has been six generations in the same village!

I always say ' it explains a lot ' when I do something daft !

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lol....as they say "will the last person to leave Redruth please switch off the lights!"
Old 15-10-2014, 13:11   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Anybody interested in the subject, I found "Black Eve" by Steven Oppenheimer to be a good read.

Pretty soon someone will come out with something like "Tracing the Spread of the Human Genome."

Atoll, Have a great delivery, stay well.

Ann
Old 15-10-2014, 13:18   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Wasn't it a welsh anthropologist who traced the DNAof Australian Aboriginies back to some village in West India throwing the whole 'Dream time' genesis into a cocked hat? I believe he was almost killed giving a paper on his discovery and research in Perth, Australia when his venue was overrun by drunk and angry Abo's!
Best not to mess with someone's geneology it seems! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 13:26   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Anybody interested in the subject, I found "Black Eve" by Steven Oppenheimer to be a good read.

Pretty soon someone will come out with something like "Tracing the Spread of the Human Genome."

Atoll, Have a great delivery, stay well.

Ann
thanks anne!
looks like there are going to be 5-6 onboard!
now the owner is bringing his family!
hope it is not rough...sic
otherwise.........youall behave yourselves whilst I'm away
will post some pics when I get back
Old 15-10-2014, 13:29   #26
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@dannc Your post was awesome!!!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 13:34   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Wasn't it a welsh anthropologist who traced the DNAof Australian Aboriginies back to some village in West India throwing the whole 'Dream time' genesis into a cocked hat? I believe he was almost killed giving a paper on his discovery and research in Perth, Australia when his venue was overrun by drunk and angry Abo's!
Best not to mess with someone's geneology it seems! Phil
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 14:26   #28

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Screw the Vikings and the @&&@#&$ Tutors and the @#^&*$ Germans!

The Welsh are the true heirs of Britain.
You forgot the Saxons who tried their best at ethnic cleansing when they arrived in England, unless you are grouping them with the Germans.
Old 15-10-2014, 16:28   #29

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
You forgot the Saxons who tried their best at ethnic cleansing when they arrived in England, unless you are grouping them with the Germans.
Astrid,
The Angles and the Saxons were two Germanic tribes from the Schleswig-Holstein area(Baltic) of northern Germany and the north German plain. They originally settled in the SW of England and later spread through out England displacing and intermarrying with the local population. The term Angles is the root for the name "England". In WWI, the German monarchy of England: Saxe-Coburg and Gotha changed their name to Windsor because of anti-German sentiment. The English royal family is German. It is also notable that Hitler did not want to invade/bomb England in WWII since he knew the English and the Germans were a common ethnic people. He tried many times to arrange a treaty/pact with England but old Winston Churchill would have nothing to do with it. In fact, Hitler never bombed an English city until Germany was bombed first by British pilots and we all know how it ended. If you go back to the height of the Roman Empire, Central and Northern Europe consisted of 20-30 Germanic tribes and as we know it was those same Germanic tribes who eventually tumbled what was left of the Roman Empire and spread throughout Europe and Scandinavia. A good read is "Germania" by the Roman historian Tacitus and the "Gallic Wars" by none other than the brilliant statesman, historian and Roman General Julius Caesar. Good luck and good sailing And, oh, by the way, you might surely have some Germanic DNA as many of us do on this site.
Old 16-10-2014, 01:29   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, if we're talking about all of us being mongrels, given our wanderlust and sexiness,
I'd just suggest "hybrid vigor", and go sailing.

FWIW, years ago read a fiction book written by an anthropologist, the underlying concept of which was that the hybrid created by Cro Magnon man mating with Neanderthal would be brilliant but sterile. Made a good read. Sorry, don't remember the author's name or title after all these years.

Ann

Tags
Scotland