Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I have successfully used transatlantic crew from Sailopo.com. The owner told me to get a list of available crew and pick my choices, then talk to him before finalizing the arrangements, as he has sailed offshore with many of his potential crewmembers. His applicants pay him an annual fee to get the opportunities list, so they are motivated and usually financially sound. For the transatlantic sail, we offered airfaire to and from the boat, and got over 30 applicants. The two we used worked out fine, although one had to fight queasiness every time he smelled diesel exhaust.

I also made it a point to talk on the phone to each candidate--sometimes you can tell how tightly wired someone is in a 5 minute conversation.

A short shakedown sail, like from overnight from one Canary Island to another, would be very helpful in avoiding problems--sometimes people are fine until they get short of sleep or otherwise stressed.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39   #17

Go on some long day sails. Leave early, come back late. Find the gremlins people can hide in an afternoon sail.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
Right now I am pondering what to do. There are great idea that people have posted but the are some geographic problems. 1) boat on West Coast sailing trip on East Coast. 2) Crew ? don't know which coast. 3) I can offer some air flight money but I want to know what I am getting before I pay for someone. I am searching my Data banks for people but the combination of sailing skills coupled with the ability to take the time off is hard to come by in my circle of friends.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10   #19

Charlie, when are you planning on leaving? December? November still produces a named depression every couple of years in the north atlantic if I remember correctly. None have formed in January.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32   #20

RH:

Atlantic Crossings from West to East are typically taken in the spring/summer. I think that one has to watch for both tropical depressions and Northerly storms. The idea is to get out of the path of the TD's by heading offshore and then not to go to far north to get hit by northerly storms. But not too far south to get stuck in the Azores High. With modern communications and weather forecasts etc. It can be quite a nice trip. Here is a link that I have been studying and using as my template Routes to the Azores for planning the trip across the pond. BTW how much does it cost to berth a boat where you are I am having problems at my Marina and am thinking of moving my boat closer to Shelter Island.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32   #21

RH:

Atlantic Crossings from West to East are typically taken in the spring/summer. I think that one has to watch for both tropical depressions and Northerly storms. The idea is to get out of the path of the TD's by heading offshore and then not to go to far north to get hit by northerly storms. But not too far south to get stuck in the Azores High. With modern communications and weather forecasts etc. It can be quite a nice trip. Here is a link that I have been studying and using as my template Routes to the Azores for planning the trip across the pond. BTW how much does it cost to berth a boat where you are I am having problems at my Marina and am thinking of moving my boat closer to Shelter Island.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 06-09-2010, 11:21   #22

~800 or so for a 36'. I'm at Sun Harbor Marina; love the place. A little pricey, but small and well managed.

The last time I was in the Atlantic (minus dinghy sailing in Newport, Rhode Island) was underneath it on a sub out of Connecticut. When the big storms came we just submerged. Even hundreds of feet down you can still feel them; crazy.