Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 10:08   #16

Re: Vacation plan

What about Apalachicola?

Yes, it's not a big city, but why get mixed up with a big city, when you can explore shoreline?

I think I'd go out for a week sailing, and then get in my car and drive to New Orleans, if that's the mix of vacation I wanted.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:20   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yeah, I think Narlens is out, It was my second choice after I figured out that the Dry Tortugas was just too far and too hard.
I'm not worried too much about going across to Tampa from PC, we went straight to PC from Marathon during the delivery.
Wx of course is key, but as it's less than a three day trip, I feel pretty good about forecasts up to 72 hours.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:28   #18

Boat: Various

You could make a short trip around to Apalachicola and Carabelle. Then take the jump to Clearwater. That shortens the sail across the Gulf plus leaves you a little closer to shore if weather does change on you.

Once to Clearwater, it's an incredible beach. But then go around to St. Pete and it's entirely different and still very nice. From there it's simply a matter of time and how far you want to go. Bradenton and Sarasota. Bradenton Beach, Longboat Key, Siesta Key. If you want a city your wife will adore, but your wallet might not, then on down to Venice. It is one of the nicest, prettiest cities there is. Beyond that, we love Sanibel, Fort Myers and Charlotte Harbor areas. But I'm thinking to keep the trip pleasant, Venice would be the furthest you'd want to try and it may even be a bit too much.

You can have a blast in the Clearwater to Sarasota corridor. Plus the contrast before and after of Apalachicola and Carabelle areas. Just covering those areas you will have found something for everyone.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:35   #19

Boat: Various

The Carabelle to Clearwater shot on a straight line basis is about 150 nm. I think for us it turned into about 160 nm but that was a powerboat. Still might only be a two day sail for you. Only have to average about 3.5 knots.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:08   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Wherever I go, I have to come back. My luck I will have a head wind both ways, just works that way sometimes.
I find myself running the engine more than I like
First law of sailing is the wind is always going to be on the nose - LOL...

Another reason no to go "too" far.

With wife and son on board boat handling isn't an issue. Making it fun for them is. Plan 30 mile legs max. Build in lay days.

As I've said around here before - I used to take my family flying in private planes. I'd plan 8 hours flying, check in the hotel, up early 8 hours flying. My ex said, "For you its the flying, for us it's the destination. We're not having fun." Once I figured out to make 4 hour legs (OK occasional 8s) and lay days everyone was happier.

BTW - No shame in motor sailing IMHO - You are on a schedule. If you were passage making sure put up with 2kts SOG - On vacation? No thanks!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vacation