Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 07:08   #916

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Head out of Masonboro. Make sure you give wide berth to Frying Pan Shoals.They will have shifted somewhat during recent storm.
Old 29-11-2013, 07:22   #917

This is my view at work today, a few miles south of Masonboro Inlet, maybe I'll get to see Scoobert sail by!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2524429240.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	71224  
Old 29-11-2013, 08:14   #918

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Some people who are calling BS here might like to go back and re-read, or read for the first time maybe, the post that sparked all of this. Especially about the 19.5 knot surf thing. The rest of this post has been deleted...
Old 29-11-2013, 08:32   #919

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Me think some people just won't believe it unless they do it.. I love the production comment you know it has all the blue water people banging their head on their computer... so funny..
Old 29-11-2013, 08:44   #920

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well... having had 14.5 knots surfing bare poles on a Hunter C37 N of Bermuda in a gale I'm not pressing the BS button... and have hit 18.2 knots in a 9m Catalac...
As the guy says... its all down to the route and the winds..
Thank you Boat man... A lot of arm chair sailors here...Forget about hull speed when you are in the Ocean, surfing, being pushed along by large swells, 1/4 to 1/2 the hull is out of the water. If you would read my e-mail properly, you would see the 19.5 knots was SOG GPS speed, going up the Gulf Stream at 5 knots, so Speed throught the water was about 14.5 knots, add 5 knots from a push by the gulf. It was dead calm for a few days, and then the wind slowly started building over a couple days, and was blowing 60 knots, slowly picking up the seas, the swells were very far apart so I was not at risk of pitchpoling. The large tall far apart swells, enabled us to come down them like a roller coster ride, with 1/4 to 1/2 the hull out of the water. The Instruments were working correctly. I thought something was wrong too. But the wind read from 50 to 65 knots, down wind, the SOG consistently read between 13 to 19 knots. Down the swell at 19 up the next one at 13, now subtract 4-5 knots of the stream through the water speeds would be 9 to 15 knots. But we were making good to destination as SOG would read. This was done a few years ago, on my delivery back up from the Florida.

I give you no ********, believe what you want. Just last week we did NYC to Georgetown in 6.5 days, We were reefed and double reefed most of the time, preserving the rig, and not pushing the boat. The most imporant thing is not to break the boat and keep the stick pointing to the sky. in 20 knots we put our first reef in, and approaching 30 knots we put the second reef in. over 35 knots we take the main down, leave a little jib out. over 40 knots we furl everything in. Although we saw nothing over 32 knots last week.

Anyone who watched my SPOT tracker can testify. I know scoobie followed me, he is a man of good character and learning quickly.

We set out almost 2 weeks ago, left as planned on Friday evening of the 15th, and arrived in GeorgeTown Bahamas, as predicted on my blog, 6-8 days. Actually 6.5 to be exact....

Anyways, I'll leave it there, believe what you want....
Old 29-11-2013, 08:45   #921

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Good luck Scoob. Maybe you should get TowboatUS too. Too many calls close together and Seatow might cancel. Just a thought. The cost is about 2 nights in a marina. Have the dogs been ashore yet?
Old 29-11-2013, 09:08   #922

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
Head out of Masonboro. Make sure you give wide berth to Frying Pan Shoals.They will have shifted somewhat during recent storm.
That's way out of the way unless you come from Beaufort, and even then I prefer to go Beaufort - MAsonboro - inside to Cape Fear and back out. Much quicker to catch the falling tide down the Cape Fear and head to Charleston this way, after many laps. I sailed out of Hampstead area for a couple of years...

The cold may be affecting your battery/starting issue too. If the batt is going south, the cold weather will make it evident - although you may very well have a charging issue. Then there's the terminals...

Scoob, Sun looking up for a Cape Fear - Chas overnight. Bald Head Island marina is a good place to tank up or take a slip... it is right by the inlet. I usually leave early in the day and then have a bunch of daylight left to get in to charleston. Have you considered Myrtle Beach? You're almost there.... I don't care for it but I know some others here have found nice places to tie up.

As far as Radonics logs, I do believe that with his hull shape he can surf at very high speeds. 19 knots is clearly an outlier, but if he is off the wind, then 200 mile days are completely possible. If my boat can surf at 10 (Still 150 miles days though) then his can hit double digits pretty easily - momentarily. Any north bound passages would include Gulf Stream advantage, so like Boatman said, if you're doing laps out there at the right time of year, and pick a good window, you can make great time. Especially if you are a racer, with a production sled
Old 29-11-2013, 09:18   #923
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Charters View Post
This is my view at work today, a few miles south of Masonboro Inlet, maybe I'll get to see Scoobert sail by!!
Sweet! Would love to see a pic of us out your window!
Old 29-11-2013, 09:27   #924

Boat: Bowman 46 Yawl
Send a message via Yahoo to scurrvydog Send a message via Skype™ to scurrvydog

I will second several of the voices heard. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ENTER ANY INLETS BETWEEN LYNHAVEN AND BEAUFORT NC. Lynnhaven is easy and has good holding for a rest stop.
Old 29-11-2013, 09:29   #925
cruiser

Charging volts is 13.9v so thats fine. Battery is new in 2006...
Interstate srm-4d
Will replace it with a small 1000cca group 27
Then use the location for another house batt.
Old 29-11-2013, 09:31   #926
cruiser

I will most likely night over in cape fear area, then leave early am. Will swap the 4d starting battery over to the other bank.
Old 29-11-2013, 10:15   #927
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
I will most likely night over in cape fear area, then leave early am. Will swap the 4d starting battery over to the other bank.
You're putting your "bad start 4d" in your house bank circuit???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 29-11-2013, 10:30   #928

"That's way out of the way unless you come from Beaufort, and even then I prefer to go Beaufort - MAsonboro - inside to Cape Fear and back out. Much quicker to catch the falling tide down the Cape Fear and head to Charleston this way, after many laps. I sailed out of Hampstead area for a couple of years..."

I agree but he said he wanted to head out. Did not want him to try to head out CB inlet as that would have been difficult to say the least. The better way is out the Cape but I think Bald Head, all though nice, is pretty pricey and not much there in the winter. I would suggest Southport as an alternative.
Old 29-11-2013, 11:02   #929

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A charge voltage of 13.9 v is way to low. Should be about 14.4 v. Read this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-115795.html
Old 29-11-2013, 11:07   #930
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
it's his (single) starting battery, 13.8 to 14.2 is fine, just like a car
Closed Thread