Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 14:02   #181

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Got a response from the civil air patrol florida wing commander. Civil air patrol is tasked by the Air Force. Without an assignment, they are unable to assist.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 14:30   #182

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

I think it's admirable that he's kept his sense of humor ... at least the prospective dinghy sale was "pick-up only."

This guy's a computer techie so if he's not online, I figure he's off on the Chase, not necessarily THE WGC, for him to be silent so long. Nickle says he's already back on board with power issues, no phone, sailing his ass off to get out of the GS.

Wonder what's up with INREACH?. A very cool gizmo. I was unaware that SatPhone pricing had fallen into affordability.

OG: Your guy would have been perfect with better timing. My guy is watching the situation with the boat coming right at him.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 14:33   #183

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Well done Tailwhell, Ocean Girl, TxJ and Hud3 those are significant posts and ya'll have certainly kept the ball rollin. We all applaud your diligence and efforts. Thanks
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 15:11   #184

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..so.. it's coming close to Florida.. more close, more possibilities to be in reach of a speed boat or an airplane.. keep my spirit high, my finger crossed and my pray active..
Old 26-12-2015, 15:25   #185

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Three separate EAA chapters contacted: #908, 724 and 288. Responses obtained from # 724 (Merritt Island), and 288 (Daytona Beach).
Merritt Island chapter Rep told me they will discuss amongst its members if anyone has interest in going 40NM offshore to look for s/v Dagny.
Daytona Beach Chapter Rep contacted a friend of his at the CAP, who advised me to call the USCG Ft Pierce, and request a Lost Vessel Search.

This I did, and have been in touch with Petty Officer Spurling as of 13.30EST. He is requesting registration of the vessel, and name and contact details of the Skipper. I was able to give Petty Officer Spurling (Tel: 305 535 4472):
1: Gil's first name and nationality
2: A reference to the this forum and thread
3: the date of the loss
4: the date, time and location of the last sighting, (17.30 on 12/23/15 at 27.03N 79.16W)

I would like some kind of phone number and/or email for Gil if possible, so the coast guard can be in contact with him directly.

My understanding is once they take an interest, they can then generate a "Mission Number" which the Civil Air Patrol will then use to launch their search efforts.
Tailwheel, I'll send you a pm with this but wanted to post here too to keep the communications going

From Gil

"Hello Erika,

Here is the missing information:

My last name is Gil Gruson.

The boat, Dagny, is registered in the BVI, # 746517.

The search has been taken on by Glenn Tuttle of the seven Seas Cruising
Association: Glenn Tuttle (parrothedd@medotcom). He is in contact with the
USCG, used to work with them (FBI). He has established himself as the
coordinator for the search.

The only way to contact me right now is through the map linked to my
site, which has a message icon allowing to send me a text message by
satellite. My phone is on the boat.. Email is the best option however.

Thank you!

Gil."
Old 26-12-2015, 15:40   #186

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

-----From Facebook------

SSCA RADIO “KPK” NEEDS YOUR HELP
Chris Parker has come up with a revised wind/drift analysis on the whereabouts of the S/V DAGNY which dragged anchor off of West End , Bahamas on 12/22/15. This information has been provided to the USCG RCC Miami, however, since the vessel is unoccupied, they can not actively search for it. However….if they happen to be on a "routine patrol” in the area, they will obtain it’s position and advise KPK.
I just spoke with the owner, Gil Gruson, who is currently in West End. He advised the vessel is a 1977 Morris Francis double ender sloop, white in color. According to Chris Parker’s drift analysis, tonight at 1700, 26 Dec 2015, the vessel may be at approximately position 30 N / 80-30 W or about 40 NM East of St Augustine, Florida.
Dick Giddings (St Jude) has a friend who is a private pilot flying from North Carolina tomorrow, and will ask him to look at the drift analysis and look for the vessel during his flight. If he is not able to locate the vessel, I am wondering if the Civil Air Patrol would consider searching for the vessel on Sunday.
Does anyone have any contacts in the Civil Air Patrol, or know of a private pilot who might we willing to search for the vessel?
Presuming the vessel is located, we can then contract with Tow Boat US, or ask a fellow cruiser to retrieve it and tow or sail it into a marina somewhere.
Gil is very grateful of the assistance of BASRA and the SSCA.
Anyone with ideas can please post here, or send me an e-mail to KPK@ssca.org
Thank you, and please spread the word. We need all the help we can get to get Gil’s boat back to him. He is a live aboard single hand sailor, and the S/V DAGNA is his home.
Glenn Tuttle
SSCA Radio “KPK"
Net Manager
----------End of FB message----

Do you all think I should post this in a new thread, maybe the cruising community thread?
Old 26-12-2015, 15:49   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
-----From Facebook------

Do you all think I should post this in a new thread, maybe the cruising community thread?

I think I'd keep all the relevant information in the same thread.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:13   #188

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

If Chris Parker's estimate is correct, someone should maybe call the Jacksonville Port Authority and ask if they can advise leaving and arriving ships to be on the lookout.

With all due respect to Mr. Parker, I feel his analysis is a bit conservative. My own estimate is admittedly more "back of a napkin" but I reckon where Dagny entered the stream, there was more of an easterly component to counter the westerly drift component. I think it's liable Dagny would be in the main axis of the current much longer, and would be further offshore and farther north. I wondered if his analysis is based on true wind vice apparent. Here's hoping she's found soon.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:38   #189

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
I've shared this thread with my older brother who is a colonel in the CAP now located in Tampa area.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Brother says:

"Cap doesn't do that kind of work unfortuately, coast guards area. We're not allowed to play over water very often."

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:41   #190
Marine Service Provider

Projecting her location is difficult at best but here is a tool that can help. Because there are a number of forces acting on her movement. winds, tides and currents. The wind was the first actor, the currents once she was loose modified the wind actions, being she likely has now moved into the gulf stream currents and wind are acting on her movement.

Try this link, http://www.windyty.com https://www.windyty.com/?2015-12-23-...884,-79.362,10

<iframe src="https://embed.windyty.com/?26.647,-78.794,7,2015-12-27-03,menu,ip" width="700" height="500" frameborder="0"></iframe>

It allows you to go back in time at look at real wind speed hour by hour, as well as wind gusts, and wave, wind wave, as well as sea swell in some cases.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 16:44   #191
Marine Service Provider

Actual Location https://embed.windyty.com/?26.647,-78.794,7,2015-12-27-03,menu,ip" width="700" height="500" frameborder="0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Projecting her location is difficult at best but here is a tool that can help. Because there are a number of forces acting on her movement. winds, tides and currents. The wind was the first actor, the currents once she was loose modified the wind actions, being she likely has now moved into the gulf stream currents and wind are acting on her movement.

Try this link, http://www.windyty.com https://www.windyty.com/?2015-12-23-...884,-79.362,10

<iframe src="https://embed.windyty.com/?26.647,-78.794,7,2015-12-27-03,menu,ip" width="700" height="500" frameborder="0"></iframe>

It allows you to go back in time at look at real wind speed hour by hour, as well as wind gusts, and wave, wind wave, as well as sea swell in some cases.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 06:11   #192

Boat: Mac 26X
So roughly how far offshore does the latest estimate put her?
Old 27-12-2015, 06:26   #193

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

My guesstimate is about 40 miles off the coast of Georgia, somewhere between Brunswick and Savannah.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:11   #194

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

As a pilot, as well as a sailor, I disagree with asking the CAP for help.

As they fly mainly single engine aircraft, you are asking a pilot and observer to risk their lives to fly a single engine plane, 20-40 nm off the coast at low altitude executing a search for a vessel with no one on board or in distress.

There is a HUGE difference in flying an over water search in a USCG C-130 and a light single engine Cessna 172!

While I appreciate the loss that Gil has undergone, this should NOT encourage us to greatly endanger people in the search when only property is involved. If something were to happen to a CAP aircraft (or other light aircraft), best case the USCG would then be looking for two people in a raft. Worse (and more likely) is an even more dire situation...
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:42   #195

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Moot point as the CAP is unable to assist, but I would expect that they can assess the risk for themselves.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote