Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 11:59   #211
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Aviation authorities tend to have rigid rules about what is defined as an "over water" flight and under what terms it is allowed or prohibited. Even commercially, flights from NYC to FLL were forced to stay inland (a much longer route) instead of taking the direct "line", if the aircraft did not have full ocean survival equipment on it. And when aircraft were often acquired in a merger or brought in from inland routes? No ocean life rafts on board? Too bad, even the commercial carriers had to remain on a coastal route, or go inland.
So I can see that private pilots, CAP, and others might not want to risk a loss of their pilot's license, insurance liability, and outright monetary sanctions "just for an empty boat". In all types of emergency response training these days, the old USCG maxim of "you have to go out but you don't have to come back" has been thoroughly obsoleted. Safety of the responder is paramount, because with no responder, there is no further response possible.

"My only means of communications is via email, having left my phone on the boat as well "
The OP is missing an opportunity here. A free Google Voice phone number, and other options using VOIP, exist. Open a Google account, set up a free GVoice number, change the message to say you are offline but can return calls the next morning, whatever. Perhaps ask someone if they can take messages for him. All done from computer and since the OP still has computer access, he DOES HAVE PHONE ACCESS. Perhaps not instant, constant, and convenient, but he can set up access--without the costs of a cell phone. Calls can also be made FROM that same computer.

The boat was seen. Floating. And for most of the past month, winds have been from the east, blowing onto the SE Florida shoreline. So there's no reason to give up yet.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 12:33   #212

Boat: Ohlson 29

Wan't sure if I should post this pic, but decided on an edited version.

This little boat (Gib’Sea Flush Poker, 27') spent 3 months alone on the Atlantic Ocean and was finally found off the coast of Morocco. It didn't wonder off on it's own, but I'm posting to sort of try and give Gil a little (more) hope his boat will be OK. Other then the sails, the boat was fine.

As to the communication:
You can buy a cheap mobile phone and use a local provider's SIM so you can at least receive calls (and place some as needed).
Or, as hellosailor posted, even use a free VOIP (or what about Skype?) service.
Old 27-12-2015, 12:37   #213

[QUOTE=Rustic Charm;1998698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

If you have no idea of what your talking about, you really shouldn't be commenting. And it's very clear you have no idea about aviation.
If you followed your own advice, you'd never post anything.

I'm not the one who brought up the CAP, but I figured since they're flying around up there doing SAR and drug interdiction, looking for a sailboat isn't any more dangerous if they happen to be in the area anyways.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 12:47   #214

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

CAP is almost always a bunch of kids and or the like, they are not Professional Aviators and to be truthful, I don't know why they even exist, it's more of a publicly funded flying club than anything.
Now that's going to upset people, well let it.
Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I can only think that is just your experience. The local CAP's out in the North West are full of old EAA and retired military guy's in 172's. I think pilots who want fly low up and down steep canyons in the summer looking for an almost invisible downed plane are great.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 12:54   #215

You guys arguing about CAP isn't contributing, please get back on track or take it elsewhere.

This isn't about you, it's about Gil, Dagny, and what we can do to help.
mdfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:25   #216

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@mdfiasco

Perfect comment.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 27-12-2015, 13:29   #217
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Skype works, but some places block it as a bandwidth hog because of the video. Skype has also crossed the line into "ghoulware", i.e. if you install the new version, perhaps unwittingly as an Update in Windows, the damned thing apparently loads and runs every time you start the computer, with no more option to "not start on boot". Unless they've very cleverly hidden that too. And, you'll have to buy "Skype Out" (is it?) minutes to receive plain phone calls on it, IIRC.
Old 27-12-2015, 13:38   #218

Boat: Cape Dory 36

I'm on the Outer Banks of NC, very unusual weather pattern for this time of year to say the least. I have a friend who works on a longline boat out of Norfolk Va. I told him and hopefully he talks to two friends and so on. It's really pretty boring work and this gives the skipper something to do and talk with other captains about. I seriously doubt any of them would ever tow the little boat back in but they could at least report the sighting. If someone could give me a heads up when it's guestimated to be off NC coast I got another buddy who works on a shrimp boat out of Morehead city, they are near coastal and if she slipped outa the stream she could make Cape Fear.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:40   #219

Back on topic...

To anyone who knows anything about homesick kids from Maine, it's obvious that the boat just decided to go home for the holidays via the gulf stream. The boys at Morris are now preparing the New Year's turkey dinner, with home-made stuffing and cranberry sauce.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 13:47   #220

Boat: Rafiki 37

If the phone is still in cell tower range can't you find the boat using that apple/android phone locator system?
Old 27-12-2015, 13:54   #221
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cell phone range is typically capped, by the carriers, at well under 32 miles. I'd be surprised at half of that offshore. And after 48 hours, what cell phone with GPS enabled is still going to have a live battery? Especially while living in a jar of rice, presumably problematic or off?

FWIW.
Old 27-12-2015, 16:30   #222

Boat: Nordic 44

The search area needs to be whittled down. It has been too many hours since the USCG sighting. Chris Parker's projections have variances increasing with each passing hour which adds surface area by the square of the variance. It is doubtful Chris's algorithm accounts for the possibility SV DAGNY is tethered to 150' of suspended ground tackle.

Gil/we need another USCG type radar confirmed sighting. In the last 48 hours no less than 15 freighters, cruise ships and tug/tow vessels have been shown in these waters by AIS.

Gil, your vessel seems well prepared, does it have passive radar reflector equipment deployed?

Has USCG Miami issued a Notice to Mariners inclusive of DAGNY' s situation. Are there Vessel Traffic Control systems active in these waters for commercial vessels? If so, land line contact their control centers.

In our experience on the left coast, cruise ships not wanting the publicity accompanying collisions, task the bridge with monitoring all AIS and radar targets at a 25 nm perimeter, especially at night. They would likely report unknown targets to their company dispatch centers AND VTS.

Fingers crossed that the easterlies hold and the ground tackle makes a soft landing somewhere well south of Bass Harbor. Absent that I have no doubt the Frances will be in Spain come spring.

A little wine for Neptune?
John

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 16:47   #223

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
It is doubtful Chris's algorithm accounts for the possibility SV DAGNY is tethered to 150' of suspended ground tackle.
I thought he said 40' of chain and 15' of nylon.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 17:51   #224

Boat: Nordic 44

Either one is going to be a significant warp/sea anchor for 7000 lbs boat? Hopefully it is on a roller up front.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 18:35   #225

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I wouldn't call it a significant sea-anchor - it will have some effect but the million dollar question is how much. I supposed it would dampen the bow and keep it pointing into the swell. I also assumed some sailing effect to add an easterly component, hence the difference between Parker's analysis and my guesstimate. I'm guessing Dagny will snag around the 6-fathom line somewhere off of Georgia, at least until the rode chafes through.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote