Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 11:20   #886
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

I'd say you learned a Hell of a lot in six days.

RE starter, I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that big Milwaukee drill I have to make my winches electric might have a shot at starting my 4-JHE. I know it would if I had a compression release, I don't of course, but many motors do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:27   #887

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd say you learned a Hell of a lot in six days.

RE starter, I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that big Milwaukee drill I have to make my winches electric might have a shot at starting my 4-JHE. I know it would if I had a compression release, I don't of course, but many motors do.

Do the crank starters attach to the front bolt on crankshaft pulley? Or do they have to be put on where electric starter is?

I would love to have a backup that could use the former as that seems much quicker in an emergency. I thought of using a drill as well but wonder what happens when engine kicks- could you get the socket off of the nut quickly before the engine flings the drill? Seems like would only be safe with a ratcheting function that would let it freewheel...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:13   #888

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Do the crank starters attach to the front bolt on crankshaft pulley? Or do they have to be put on where electric starter is?

I would love to have a backup that could use the former as that seems much quicker in an emergency. I thought of using a drill as well but wonder what happens when engine kicks- could you get the socket off of the nut quickly before the engine flings the drill? Seems like would only be safe with a ratcheting function that would let it freewheel...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

A lever opens an exhaust valve so there is no compression. The crank handle slides onto the front of the crankshaft. The crank handle has a ratcheting pawl that will only catch in one direction so that the handle doesn't beat one to death once the engine starts.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 05-01-2016, 18:10   #889

Regarding manual starters check out
" How to use a Kineteco Spring Starter" on YouTube,
Don't know how to do a direct link
Sorry,
On another note I read Gil's recap
Of the events and I wonder if he ever
Gave a detailed explanation of his
Electrical problems? Was it a charging issue and thus no power or did something burn out that led to him being unable to start the engine
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 19:25   #890

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
He may not want her anymore, if she ends up on the beach. Let's hope she's found while still drifting, or anchors herself.
In his blog he says he wants her back very badly. Of course I realize that could change but at least that is how he feels at this point. I'm optimistic that it will turn up somewhere along the east coast. For most of the US east coast, unless there's a strong onshore breeze, having an anchor dangling from 60' of rode is fairly likely to prevent her from being damaged very badly. Of course there's always a chance she could find a rock the hard way, but given the topography of the US east coast south of Cape Cod, I like her chances.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 19:27   #891

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Nice post Gil...I wish you all the best and that you will be united with your little ship. It will be nice for you to spend time with family. I'm still holding out for a favorable outcome.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 19:55   #892

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Need help:

Trying to see how we can email the "Vessel Adrift, Please Be On The Lookout" flyer to boat US and Sea Tow. Anyone have a listing? Anyone want to tackle this? I can do it if not. Me and another volunteer are emailing marinas, we have covered Florida and Georgia and are working our way north. I would not be able to hit the tow companies till later this week.
thanks
Erika
Old 05-01-2016, 20:01   #893

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gil,

Thanks for the informative post. Allow me to tell you about me and seasickness. I tried many, many different substances to alleviate it, and wrist bands, and finally found medication available over the counter in England, and made in Belgium: stugeron, cinnarizine HCl, and it has made my life a whole lot better. Other things sort of work, the wristbands kept me from throwing up all the time, but I still felt queasy, shaky, weak, and very low energy....for 19 days. I have tried dramamine; it puts me to sleep.
Meclizine helps some. Ear patches work, but the side effects of dry mouth and (for me, headache) make them not too desirable. Stugeron doesn't make me drowsy, usually, and it makes the nausea go away. I can even read! :-D

That would have made your whole experience different.

You're quite right about the weather gear">foul weather gear, too. Protection from the weather is really important in reducing fatigue, and is one reason most of us have dodgers.

Hand holds, yes, essential.

On a small boat, you could consider a manual windlass; however, we noticed that after we added the electric one, we experienced what sandero wrote about, it just made re-anchoring, for whatever reason, much easier.

You're right about the self-steering: very important to have it working properly during test sails before you head off. A well found boat will steer herself on the wind with the helm lashed, off the wind, not. I bet you've already figured out some things to try next time.

The bilge is a black hole because gravity sucks!

If you have a nice photo of a spot you enjoyed with Dagny, have it printed and framed, and keep it where you can see it. You weren't finished yet, and seeing that will help you remember the goal, especially if you get to feeling down or overburdened. Bless the good times, eh?

We're still hoping you get her back in good shape, and send you best wishes for the future.

Ann & Jim
Old 05-01-2016, 20:10   #894
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The hand crank able engines I've seen and/or cranked had compression releases, large flywheels to store the energy from cranking, and the crank point was the cam shaft. Don't know why the cam shaft was rhe crank point though it could be because there was some mechanical advantage as the cam turns at a reduced rpm to the engine.

Hand cranked a Volvo Md2b for ten years. The dynamotor starter/generator mount bolts broke after we got to the Marquesas. To get the broken bolts out would have required pulling the engine so it was hand crank or row. Fortunately had set the engine up to hand crank before we left. Hand starting turned out to be easy. Pull the compression releases, crank till max rpm reached, release the crank and drop one of the compression releases, engine almost always fired on that one cylinder first try, then drop the 2nd compression release and all was fine. Did hand crank a 3 cylinder Volvo but that was a real grunt. Think the energy stored in the heavy flywheel played a big part in how easy the engine was to hand start. Never did pull the engine, remove the broken bolts and reinstall the dynamotor starter. Sold the boat 10 years later without a working starter.

Current Yanmar 3GM30f has compression releases but not the large flywheel and the crank point is obstructed by the raw water pump/alternator belt.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 20:26   #895

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Need help:

Trying to see how we can email the "Vessel Adrift, Please Be On The Lookout" flyer to boat US and Sea Tow. Anyone have a listing? Anyone want to tackle this? I can do it if not. Me and another volunteer are emailing marinas, we have covered Florida and Georgia and are working our way north. I would not be able to hit the tow companies till later this week.
thanks
Erika
===

Did the USCG issue a "Notices to Mariners" alert on VHF radio? If not, that would be a good option.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 20:33   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
sorry fighting the flu here, and juggling a lot of different projects. How bout this?

Please be advised that a 26 ft sailing vessel Dagny, dragged anchor on 12/22/2015 from West End Grand Bahama and is believed to be drifting up the southern east coast ( per Chris Parker weather router drift analysis ). If you can alert your customers about sv Dagny, it would be greatly appreciated. She has no lights so is a hazard to Navigation.

Info
26ft sailboat, Morris Francis mid 1970s
Flush deck
Light color tan deck, white hull with dark blue/black stripes
Double ender
boom Gallows
Sails stowed on deck
Windvane, stern hung rudder
All ports and hatches closed and locked
Bubble viewing hatch
4 solar panels glued to deck
Flying quarantine yellow flag

(Pics of Dagny)

Estimated location per Chris Parker's drift analysis

"At 5pm on Wed30, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-50N/80-56W, based on drift Sent from my iPad
At 5pm on Thu31, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-59N/80-50W, based on drift from wind of 10mi, in direction 030T.
I'll reiterate: Of course, all of the above is only an educated guess, and the possible errors compound over time...cheers...Chris."

(Pics of last two drift coordinates 12/30 and 12/31)

Estimated drift route per Chris Parker

(Pic of Full drift analysis, thanks to CFer Leaseonlife )
I would change the beginning to "Please be on the lookout for" and put as a title centered in all caps at the p "BOLO"
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 20:46   #897

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Thank you everyone for all the tips and encouragements. If Dagny is found I will do everything in my power to get her back.

Gil

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31   #898
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Boat Owners Association of The United States
Press Contact: Scott Croft, Director of Public Relations, BoatUS
Phone: 703-461-2864
Fax: 703-461-2845
Email: SCroft@BoatUS.com

BoatUS Towing Services (Water & Road)
24-Hour National Dispatch Center: 800-391-4869
24-Hour Towing Information Line: 800-888-4869
Email: Towing@BoatUS.com

BoatUS Headquarters
703-461-2878

Sea Tow National Dispatch
800-4-SEATOW (473-2869)
Email Form ➥ https://www.seatow.com/contact?form=general

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:09   #899
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Wow, 60 pages. Been listening to Chris Parkers radio show over a keys cruise and heard it mentioned. Did not envision it to be a Morris, but perhaps a Balboa, hunter something like that.

This may well have been covered, but were hatches open. That's a pretty low freeboard boat and perhaps swamping is a possibility in the relatively strong weather over the last several weeks.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:27   #900
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Boat was all closed up, & locked.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote