Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 17:37   #286

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

If the boat is recovered now he wont be able to afford the salvage costs anyway. There aren't many that would sail or tow it back for nothing. I hate to say it but he needs to write it off and go home. Start out when you are ready next time.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 20:02   #287

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's all nice and good, and I understand what you mean. However, what would you do if you lost your "home", with all your belongings? Would you write a novel, or maybe go searching for the home in a proactive manner? I'd do the latter, as there is plenty of time to try and secure a sponsor and a book deal. Your thoughts may possibly differ from mine. Have a nice day.
I'll reply since you addressed this to me.
Your exaggeration that he is writing a novel and silly digs about a book deal tells me I'd waste my breath giving an honest straightforward reply to the question of what would I do? I will say why I've helped as much as I can from my iPad hundreds of miles from West End. He is a fellow sailor in need of help, I believe him, and I think we can help.

As with many of these types of threads I guess this is the time the vulture come out, sad, but between the silly digs and asked questions that have been answered if only folks take the time to read, there are some good valuable information and points. I just hope the silliness can be kept at a minimum because as you yourself have pointed out, this sailor has lost almost everything, why kick him while he is down?

Still not too late to find Dagny, she is less then 40-50 miles from shore in an active part of the world. The resources to help find the boat are gaining momentum.
Have a nice day
Old 28-12-2015, 20:16   #288

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking could be done but I can't see it helping in the present situation.

It took guts and work to get Gil to West End. His blog doesn't give details of his trip but I don't think he was able to use his wind vane. Exhausted, dehydrated and tossed about in a small boat.
He is a pilot, so maybe the "any landing is a good landing" saying will console him.

It is good to see that the folks in the forum are in your camp, Gil.

I wish I were near to assist in the search and I am sure many here feel the same way.

Never use a hundred words when 3 will carry the message.
Old 28-12-2015, 20:22   #289

Boat: Freedom 38

I have noticed that if you ask 5 sailors their opinions about something, you'll get 7 different answers. If you ask them again, the same question, another day, you might get lucky and receive another 7 answers, yet they're likely to be all completely different from the first time. There is no "correct way." Read his blog. He seemed to have really tried.

Gil is a writer. He says he's French, so I assume he's also not writing in his native tongue. Kudos to him. It is probably difficult to understand, especially when most people find it hard to pen a paragraph in under half a day, that writing is easy to some. The "log" that I record my sails in is really a pseudo diary and fun record of the people who come on my boat. I really don't care (well, yes, actually I do) what the currents, wind speed, boat speed, and weather conditions were that day, but I love to describe what we did, and that takes at least a page. If I can remember to get my passengers to log the entry, I will also often write post scripts of things that I found important. It is what writers do. We can no more hold our breaths than hold still our pens.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 20:39   #290

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

What about post constructive things.. for all armchair captains with 200000 miles, with years of experience (they say...), please, it is not a good moment about "what your do under that circumstance.." first, it's not your history, get a bot and make history for yourself, please not mount in other people history to remark your knowledge.. it's sin and it's called vain.. (do you remember the song?? ...you're so vain.. yes, that song..).
If you do not have something really constructive to add, better call to silence...
This theme have 20 pages now and a lot of people really working (read it.. put free time) in order to help this guy reunite with his boat.. or not...
Criticized is really not necessary at this moment. thanks you in advance! We working to give you a better service...
Old 28-12-2015, 20:47   #291

Boat: Vancouver 27

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 21:52   #292

Quote:
It's not a "novel kind of way". It is "exactly" what I'd have done.

Correct, that's why I tried to prompt him to be proactive from day one. It's called "common sense".

You're welcome to your opinion, however condescending it may be. I'm a realist.

Go figure? I posted advice to a guy who "supposedly" lost his boat. I'm not a poor sailor on a forum asking for money. Go figure.

Agreed.

Meaning what, exactly? Keeping sane? The boat is gone. There are people here actively trying to help him. He's writing Internet blogs about the Bahamas. Go figure.

My final post in this thread. I hope that he recovers his boat.
Glad to hear this is your final post on this matter. I joined CF the beginning of this year after lurking for a bit. I am the type that always likes to throw my two cents worth into a conversation that is of interest. I have also been able to ask advise from sailors who I respect for their incredible knowledge and experience. I have found their are people here that have different views to mine on some controversial issues. Most I enjoy the friendly back and forth and I even have learned from these conversations with people who have different views and ideas.

But what I never can come to terms with are those who attack others. I call them the haters. The bully types who say extremely uncaring and hurtful things. I have even at times not held back and have given such people a mouthful on occasion . When offended I do know I have a gift of succinctly and effectively dealing with such people.

It has been interesting over the course on CF to see the different kinds of personalities here and over time you start to form for good or bad impressions about people. While I haven't always agreed with your points of view I have read your posts and kept an open mind about you as a person.

I am repulsed by your lack of empathy and kindness towards this sailor who has lost his boat and home. Having read his blogs I am sure you know he is a writer. He is also a person alone on foreign shores. He has also bravely admitted to medical issues. If you had an ounce of compassion you would have stopped and thought that perhaps his taking five minutes to write an update was probably one of the best things he could be doing for his own mental therapy. As I said he is alone, so apart from being therapeutic connecting with others even all but strangers is probably another highly intelligent thing he has done. He has been able to receive help and assistance, financially and emotionally for which I am so very pleased to see happen. The people on CF have been wonderful and supportive. All of them except for you.

I was going to rip into you with my sharp wit and caustic tongue but then I stopped and thought about you as a human being. I realized that you are yourself in need of help. I don't know your circumstances. You may have suffered a painful loss a long time ago or of recent. You may have been deeply hurt by someone. I just don't know. But what I do feel is that you are angry. You are lashing out at a stranger with your judgmental criticism and this must be because of your own pain in life.

So I'm not going to attack you. I am just going to suggest that you perhaps take a few deep breaths and open your heart and mind to being a little more compassionate. Perhaps I should put down your behavior coming from you having a bad day, a bad week, a bad year or something along those lines.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 22:05   #293

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

CHAYA. Perfect...Bravo. Yep, none of us have ever walked in this nasty individuals shoes. Maybe those shoes are way too big for any of us? We dont know.
But if people like Mandela et al can come away from horror smiing then so can/should this critic imho.
Cheers Laura.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 22:22   #294

Boat: Lidgard 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Glad to hear this is your final post on this matter. I joined CF the beginning of this year after lurking for a bit. I am the type that always likes to throw my two cents worth into a conversation that is of interest. I have also been able to ask advise from sailors who I respect for their incredible knowledge and experience. I have found their are people here that have different views to mine on some controversial issues. Most I enjoy the friendly back and forth and I even have learned from these conversations with people who have different views and ideas.

But what I never can come to terms with are those who attack others. I call them the haters. The bully types who say extremely uncaring and hurtful things. I have even at times not held back and have given such people a mouthful on occasion . When offended I do know I have a gift of succinctly and effectively dealing with such people.

It has been interesting over the course on CF to see the different kinds of personalities here and over time you start to form for good or bad impressions about people. While I haven't always agreed with your points of view I have read your posts and kept an open mind about you as a person.

I am repulsed by your lack of empathy and kindness towards this sailor who has lost his boat and home. Having read his blogs I am sure you know he is a writer. He is also a person alone on foreign shores. He has also bravely admitted to medical issues. If you had an ounce of compassion you would have stopped and thought that perhaps his taking five minutes to write an update was probably one of the best things he could be doing for his own mental therapy. As I said he is alone, so apart from being therapeutic connecting with others even all but strangers is probably another highly intelligent thing he has done. He has been able to receive help and assistance, financially and emotionally for which I am so very pleased to see happen. The people on CF have been wonderful and supportive. All of them except for you.

I was going to rip into you with my sharp wit and caustic tongue but then I stopped and thought about you as a human being. I realized that you are yourself in need of help. I don't know your circumstances. You may have suffered a painful loss a long time ago or of recent. You may have been deeply hurt by someone. I just don't know. But what I do feel is that you are angry. You are lashing out at a stranger with your judgmental criticism and this must be because of your own pain in life.

So I'm not going to attack you. I am just going to suggest that you perhaps take a few deep breaths and open your heart and mind to being a little more compassionate. Perhaps I should put down your behavior coming from you having a bad day, a bad week, a bad year or something along those lines.

Chaya

Ditto, there are some really judgemental/angry and generally dissapointing people on here amongst the friendly and helpful folk.
NZBRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 23:55   #295

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Well spoken Ocean Girl. You did a great job on Gil's behalf.

I feel generally most people on this forum are extremely helpful with their thoughts, ideas and experience.

Let's ignore the patronising people bullied by life 😊

Beeing on the other side of the big pond, I wonder if there is not a way to ask the coasties or someone from another institution if they could not consider the search a training exercise for junior personnel and by this justify a search?

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 28-12-2015, 23:59   #296

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Regardless, he stated it's "all he has", and that he's sailing off with $140 of liquid funds. Hiring a light aircraft in the Bahamas is $6K a day? Hard to believe, yet you may know something I don't.

I hope he recovers his "home and belongings", yet I would have approached the situation much, much, much differently.
I did not suggest $6k a day I don't know what it would cost in the Bahamas, but three days in a light plane would be getting him further and further into debt. A $20k boat with undoubtedly no insurance, he's got to be sensible. It sounds to me like he's done everything he can be expected to do.

Though, I still wouldn't rule out theft.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 00:22   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I did not suggest $6k a day I don't know what it would cost in the Bahamas, but three days in a light plane would be getting him further and further into debt. A $20k boat with undoubtedly no insurance, he's got to be sensible. It sounds to me like he's done everything he can be expected to do.

Though, I still wouldn't rule out theft.
My apologies. I misread your post. I suppose that $2K per day is a bit beyond his means, coupled with what appears to be no direct family support ($$$). It is a shame. And as you mentioned, theft is a possibility. I hope that he is someday reunited with his boat.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 00:29   #298

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

PCM.... $2K/ day is beyond the means of virtually EVERYONE. Which planet are you FROM???
If you really care why dont YOU call the French embassy and ask if you can wire money to them? Theyll pass it on.

Sometimes i wish i were a rat or a kangaroo, ANYTHING but a human because, honestly, humans sometimes plough my values into the ground.
From plant Earth.
Brian.
Old 29-12-2015, 00:59   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
PCM.... $2K/ day is beyond the means of virtually EVERYONE. Which planet are you FROM???
If you really care why dont YOU call the French embassy and ask if you can wire money to them? Theyll pass it on.

Sometimes i wish i were a rat or a kangaroo, ANYTHING but a human because, honestly, humans sometimes plough my values into the ground.
From plant Earth.
Brian.
You can leave the dramatic language aside for a moment. I never suggested that $2K per day was a reasonable cost to begin with. I'd imagine that in the Bahamas you could hire those search services for substantially less. And let's not forget, I was the first person in this thread to suggest he quickly get up in the air. Others seconded that opinion. Had it been on day 2, we might not still be typing, as it probably could have been quickly located. Maybe not. Who knows? I surely don't. In fact, I don't even know that a boat has actually been lost. Others have seconded that thought also. Regardless, the optimal time to be in the air was 6:00AM the following morning, at the latest (if possible).

With all that aside, my original posts were merely an attempt to get him motivated in an active search, and as soon as possible, as it didn't appear that he was doing that. What did I see? I saw a fellow who sadly lost his boat and who was spending time writing about the social circumstances in West End, and other things like flying fish. Anyway, who knows what's happening, or happened? I truly hope the guy sees his boat again ... as I mentioned NUMEROUS times.

Ciao.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 01:06   #300

My language was not intended to be tinged with drama.
YOU see it as drama...me, possibly others too, im different to you Mate.
And my suggestion re the Embassy ... £20 isnt much for you, possibly three days for for Froggie. No?
I know you have the right to ask me the same question & im waiting.
Cheers Friend