Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 17:06   #1

Boat: Leopard 46' sailing catamaran
Thumbs up To Pull or Not to Pull . . . That Is My Question !

Sailed 4000nm last winter from Mass to Bahamas and back. Not going to be able to make the trip this winter.....uuugh!

Considering options of winterizing and leaving my boat in the Thames R. Groton ,Ct.

Does anyone have an opinion on the pro's and con's of overwintering in-water vs pulling and storing on the hard until April or so?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
BILLY
s/v BYEPOLAR
North Pole, Ak.
BILLYBYEPOLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:48   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Watch the tax man. Every state has its own code on when you have to pay taxes for the privelege of leaving your boat in the state.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:27   #3

Boat: Morgan 35
BILLYBYEPOLAR,

I'm having the same dilemma, although you are obviously far more experienced at this than I am. Having always wanted a boat, I've finally just purchased one. Hooray!! It's been two weeks. Now I have the joys of boat ownership, and I'm bumbling along trying to figure out how to do it (and at minimum cost) before the snow comes. I'm in NYC, and I have a place where I can leave the boat for free near Melbourne, FL, but I've never done a trip like that and it's a bit daunting. Maybe if you regale me with glorious tales of your trip last winter it will motivate me to head south before I have to pull my mooring and pay thousands for winter storage.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 13:25   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
The biggest question is what is the likelihood of the Thames River freezing over. That could potentially damage the hull.

Otherwise, your boat is probably happier in the water than being propped on jackstands.

You will have to make sure you fully winterize the boat in any event, plus make sure that you can get to it during the winter to ensure the cockpit scuppers are not clogged and the boat is protected from ice/snow melting and sending the melt into bad spots on the boat.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 14:26   #5

Boat: Leopard 46' sailing catamaran
Good advice...thanks! Well, I have decided to overwinter in the water. I pulled the jib and have the main and mizzen coming down this weekend. Then comes the task of winterizing the systems. I had to change my insurance...Markel to Boat US. Markel requires out of water or south of Cape May by 1 Dec. Boat US covers either....I did find out that there may be a penalty for changing carriers mid-policy....still trying to find out if I am going to have to give up part of my premium that I just paid a couple of weeks ago.

As far as the taxes go....Well....the DOR (Dept of Revenue) requires ALL marinas to report boats that are not registered in Ct. The DOR also walks the docks checking boats. There is a 60 day time limit....not consecutive, but TOTAL time in state before they tax you if you haven't paid any taxes. They also require a state registeration....despite whether you are US documented or not. There is a "grace period" between Oct and Apr if you are on the hard...so that may be the saving grace for some. There is no taxation for being laid up on the hard during winter months....butr be gone soon after, which I will be. My intention is not to stay in Ct waters.

Hope this little bit of info helps out some of you. Please feel free to post back if you want more info on the insurance stuff or the DOR. I did a lot of research on this and can talk semi-smart about it.

Billy
>«(((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸>«(((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸>«(((º>
BILLYBYEPOLAR is offline   Reply With Quote