Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 09:37   #46

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Tipping the guys at the marina?

Back in the day, I worked as a deckhand for tips on a charter boat, there were signs on the boat that we only worked for tips, and the Capt. would make an announcement before docking about it. We did get a small day rate, way below minimum wage at the time. I worked about a 12 or 13 hour day, no bennies. We also split the filet money with the Capt. he wasn't paid much either. At the end of the day as the folks were getting off the vessel they would usually hand you a buck or two. With 35 people it added up. So I am inclined to tip more to those who provide good service. Those who are dogging it, not so much.
Old 27-08-2013, 10:31   #47

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

My money, I tip if I feel the service is worth it, if not... no tip.

I have had ONE person give me my tip back and say it wasn't necessary, but thanks for the thought.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 15:27   #48

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

There was an informative thread some time ago called, I believe, "Question on tipping in US marinas".
Perhaps worth doing a search for.
Old 27-08-2013, 18:21   #49

Boat: Boatless
The marina where I keep my boat, I absolutely DO tip the forklift driver when he launches or retrieves my boat. What does that get me???

If he's got other boats to launch ahead of me, but they aren't there yet...guess who goes first!! He will sit on the lift and let me flush the engine for a minute. The times I've had problems, he's on the phone dialing up someone who can help. I always,always make sure I keep an extra $20 to tip the people on the docks baking in the hot south Florida sun.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 19:50   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

[QUOTE=psneeld;1323343]You said it all in the first couple of words...coming from a non-tipping country....

It really depends on the culture where the service is GIVEN, not the culture where YOU come from. The believe the reverse is pure arrogance. In some economies or trades, the workers do live off their tips, and the official price is what it is because the labor costs are consequentially low, not because someone is scamming. And, that is probably because all the businesses in that particular industry work that way. If one business decides to up its prices, so as to better pay wages, so as to eliminate the need for tips, guess which business goes broke? Few things aggravate me as much as folks who are clearly informed, in advance (in writing, and possibly even as a suggestion in a contract), that a tip is customary and to plan for it, are then the recipients of great service, and then say, "Oh, we don't tip" to justify themselves to themselves. And, it doesn't matter if the person supplying the service is the owner...they are subject to the same economic and competitive realities as their workers, see above. The afforementioned non-tippers should stay home, rather than tell residents of another place how they should make their livings. If the cheapskates can't afford the tip, don't use the service. Period. Sadly, there are countries that are known in all service trades for their non-tipping habits. Even their own countrymen (when working in a tipping country) cringe when they see them. And, you know who you are.

On the other hand, in a non-tipping economy or industry, don't tip. But, do find out whether the economy or industry customarily is tipped, don't just assume.

Sorry for the rant, but that is how it is.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 20:17   #51

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

[QUOTE=contrail;1324169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You said it all in the first couple of words...coming from a non-tipping country....

It really depends on the culture where the service is GIVEN, not the culture where YOU come from. The believe the reverse is pure arrogance. In some economies or trades, the workers do live off their tips, and the official price is what it is because the labor costs are consequentially low, not because someone is scamming. And, that is probably because all the businesses in that particular industry work that way. If one business decides to up its prices, so as to better pay wages, so as to eliminate the need for tips, guess which business goes broke? Few things aggravate me as much as folks who are clearly informed, in advance (in writing, and possibly even as a suggestion in a contract), that a tip is customary and to plan for it, are then the recipients of great service, and then say, "Oh, we don't tip" to justify themselves to themselves. And, it doesn't matter if the person supplying the service is the owner...they are subject to the same economic and competitive realities as their workers, see above. The afforementioned non-tippers should stay home, rather than tell residents of another place how they should make their livings. If the cheapskates can't afford the tip, don't use the service. Period. Sadly, there are countries that are known in all service trades for their non-tipping habits. Even their own countrymen (when working in a tipping country) cringe when they see them. And, you know who you are.

On the other hand, in a non-tipping economy or industry, don't tip. But, do find out whether the economy or industry customarily is tipped, don't just assume.

Sorry for the rant, but that is how it is.
How many posts back have you read?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 20:25   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

[QUOTE=psneeld;1324189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post

How many posts back have you read?
The whole thing.....and I think I am agreeing with you!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 20:32   #53
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

We are moored at a marina in New England. We give 5 or 10 bucks every 2nd or 3rd launch trip.

I much prefer to see my money go to someone I know rather than to a large corp, i.e. west marine, sprint, exxon, visa, or our own marina for that matter. They are a large company that bought out our marina several years ago.

I am not reflexively anti-corporation, nor am I reflexively pro anything, except for people.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 20:44   #54

At one club that I frequent, tipping is completely forbidden. At a large marina about 10 miles away, it is commonplace. In some places in the northeast, nothing good happens until you grease the wheels of progress. When I worked at a marina in New England, we worked hard for everyone everyday. I think that I averaged about 1 tip per year. It was not at all common at that location.

In my experience, it varies quite a bit. Figuring out the local norm isn't always easy.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 21:46   #55
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Very interesting thread.

It highlights the different values that people, and cultures, place on money.

It seems some view money as a necessity, an unpleasant one at that. They value human interaction more highly. A thank you, a dinner, a beer and a pizza.

Some view money as a measuring stick of worth vis a vis ones production. You have to earn it.

Others use money as a surrogate for communicating or expressing emotion or acknowledgement; it's the basis of their day to day relationships. I really don't want to talk to you but I acknowledge your existence and your needs.

Still others view money as elemental, a fact of life. It should flow freely like water or food or any other resource.

Some people are hypocrites. They feel they should earn every penny, but once it's theirs, they like to spread it around, to family friends and people that do work for them. I guess that's why they earned it in the first place.

It's a personal thing. That's why money makes for such a good thread.

I only have one objection a few comments made earlier. That if some people would just stop tipping or start tipping, we could change the world. With all due respect; really?

Next thing you'll tell me is that my vote counts.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 22:16   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

Next thing you'll tell me is that my vote counts.

Nawh, unless you're in NC.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 22:17   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
There was an informative thread some time ago called, I believe, "Question on tipping in US marinas".
Perhaps worth doing a search for.
Gee, Mike, you really think this is a new topic?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 01:17   #58

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

We have never ever tip'd in any Marina and never will However if the service is beyond the norm we hand out a few cold drinks to them.

Job done
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:55   #59

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
As seen....the OP was not talking about the fuel docks but rather the general service the yard was providing. I have been here for 10 months now doing a refit. The store at the yard has provided me friendly helpful service. Friendships have been formed. I setting off tomorrow to go south and am dropping off a plate of snacks at the store for them.
Exactly. Since our boat is on a mooring, the guys end up doing very little other than keeping an eye on our dinghy. They did add air to it a few times before we fixed a few leaks.

I was asking more along the lines of wondering is it expected and it certainly seems that it is not. They've been great to deal with and are always friendly so I figure a BBQ is a nice thank you, so we will definitely do that.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 12:06   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
The marina where I keep my boat, I absolutely DO tip the forklift driver when he launches or retrieves my boat. What does that get me???

If he's got other boats to launch ahead of me, but they aren't there yet...guess who goes first!! He will sit on the lift and let me flush the engine for a minute. The times I've had problems, he's on the phone dialing up someone who can help. I always,always make sure I keep an extra $20 to tip the people on the docks baking in the hot south Florida sun.
Funny that you squander your money like this with such abandon. Gee, do you always grease the wheels in order to get ahead of others in line ahead of you?

Now, if people whose boats are scheduled to launch at a particular time are late, that's one thing. But butting ahead of others is butting ahead, no matter how you feel about it.

I've always found people engaged in lifting or launching my boat respond well to just being friendly. No need to 'grease the wheels', bribe or whatever you wish to call it.

You may want to try it sometime.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote