Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2014, 13:14   #121

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Tipping Line Handlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Tell me, what exactly is a line handler?........
Certainly. A line handler is someone, usually an employee of the facility, who grabs your lines when you are docking or releases them when you are leaving a facility. He or she is a person tasked with helping customers docking or leaving.

I hope that helps.
Old 25-11-2014, 15:55   #122

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Certainly. A line handler is someone, usually an employee of the facility, who grabs your lines when you are docking or releases them when you are leaving a facility. He or she is a person tasked with helping customers docking or leaving.

I hope that helps.
Where I come from (UK) usually we would do it ourselves or nearby fellow boaters would do it unasked. however, now we live in the third world, (USA) the employees expect handouts in addition to their pay.
Old 25-11-2014, 16:10   #123

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Where I come from (UK) usually we would do it ourselves or nearby fellow boaters would do it unasked. however, now we live in the third world, (USA) the employees expect handouts in addition to their pay.
You could just turn around and go back!
Old 25-11-2014, 19:30   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You could just turn around and go back!
Tempting as that suggestion is, we are trying hard to fit in with local tribal customs, with the exception of joining in with the gun violence, whilst making our significant contributions to the impoverished medical establishment of this the richest, most powerful nation in the world, that needs to retain all of it's accumulated wealth for fighting with all others until they finally surrender and bow to the might of American democratic idealism. I guess that might then be the end of the world as it is now.
Old 25-11-2014, 19:54   #125

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Tempting as that suggestion is, we are trying hard to fit in with local tribal customs, with the exception of joining in with the gun violence, whilst making our significant contributions to the impoverished medical establishment of this the richest, most powerful nation in the world, that needs to retain all of it's accumulated wealth for fighting with all others until they finally surrender and bow to the might of American democratic idealism. I guess that might then be the end of the world as it is now.

Agreed with rwidman, if it sucks so bad for you here then just leave. After all, your boat is mobile and it sounds like you might be happier somewhere else!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-11-2014, 20:53   #126
cruiser

He'll never leave, and he'll never serve.
Old 25-11-2014, 21:05   #127

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

How many Marinas in the USA actually have people employed as someone described as linehandlers ?
We just did a round trip up part of the Queensland coast which was a round trip of about 1800 NM. I guess there are about 20 marinas within that particular circuit.In total we stopped at 6 of them a couple more than once.
Only one ,which is under new ownership and trying hard to impress,actually had someone as part of the service take your lines as part of the service and no extra charge or tip required.The rest I guess would send someone from the office if you wanted and asked but it is not the norm.
Sorry just remembered we stopped at Hamilton Island and they guide you in by RIB and take your lines but that is the most expensive Marina I know of so you are paying for it regardless.
Chris
Old 25-11-2014, 21:43   #128

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, Mirage Gecko,

And in Noumea, the guys at Marina Moselle come down to help you get tied up, but they're smart enough to get out of your way, too.

Ann
Old 25-11-2014, 21:52   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Neither should he have to. Either of those. Unless of course it is not a free country.

Coops.
Old 26-11-2014, 00:56   #130
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Neither should he have to. Either of those. Unless of course it is not a free country.
Nobody has to. I have no idea why you sense any obligation.

That's exactly the point.
Old 26-11-2014, 03:09   #131

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
the richest, most powerful nation in the world, that needs to retain all of it's accumulated wealth for fighting with all others until they finally surrender and bow to the might of American democratic idealism. I guess that might then be the end of the world as it is now.
reminds me of this now defunct thing that was the British Empire...
Old 26-11-2014, 04:47   #132

Boat: 1994 Fountaine Pajot Tobago-35 "Lauren Marie"

My wife and I are cruisers on the US East coast and I also work part time in several marinas. All of the marinas provide line handling as part of their service. There is no expectation of a tip. That said, it is greatly appreciated if you do tip.
Old 26-11-2014, 06:32   #133

Quote:

Coops.

Thanks, Coops, I'm actually a legal alien, married to a lovely hoosier who lived with me in England for 26 years before returning here to be near her family and be greatly saddened by the changes to her homeland whilst she was away.

I know I should keep quiet but that is not the nature of the beast and free speech should include critique too!
Old 26-11-2014, 06:43   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I'm a legal alien married to an American who has 5 family members currently serving in US forces here and overseas and several more were veterans who fought for freedom and the rights for free speech from WW2 to Vietnam.

But heck, I'll shut up and leave you to your wet dreams of Nirvana.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Robin
Old 26-11-2014, 13:32   #135

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:

Coops.
Nobody even suggested he HAD to leave, but it just seems like the common sense thing to do since he obviously has disdain for the US, and nobody likes a houseguest who's constantly complaining about the housekeeping or the manner in which the owner earns the money to pay the mortgage or the quality of the food at the dinner table or how the owner gets along with his neighbors. Wouldn't it make more sense for him to just stay home where he can do exactly as he wishes, or if he insists on imposing himself on others, maybe go visit the house down the street where all these things are done more to his liking? And since he's from the UK, whenever he feels the urge to be critical of the US willingness to "fight with all others," he should perhaps review his mid 20th century history and realize that willingness is one large reason why he had the privilege of growing up speaking English as his first language, something for him to be thankful for tomorrow....

But in an attempt to get this discussion back to tipping...... clearly different tipping traditions exist in different cultures and countries and we all think OUR way is best but it seems appropriate to me to conform to as many as possible of the local customs wherever you are without passing judgment on them, including customs relating to how you pay for services. When in Rome....

In some places, service employees are paid 100% by the employer and you are charged accordingly, and in other places service employees are paid partially by the employer and partially paid directly from those who receive the service in the form of tips. In areas such as the US, where tipping often makes up a big part of service employees pay, OF COURSE the service employee wants you to feel obligated to tip a lot. That's only human nature, who doesn't think they deserve a pay raise and wouldn't like for their "bosses" to agree and respond accordingly? But no matter what the service giver seems to expect, if YOU don't feel like the service rendered was particularly helpful or didn't meet your expectations, you have the option of adjusting your tip accordingly or not tipping at all. I do that all the time and am aware that sometimes my tips exceed expectations and sometimes are less than what the tippee probably expects, oh well. I personally think that makes more sense than the employer strong arming you for the tip in the form of higher prices and then giving it to his employees whether or not they were actually helpful to you or not. But when I travel to places where that's the custom, I certainly don't waste any time worrying about it or being critical of local customs.

I do think that in the US, recently many employees in areas of employment where nobody used to expect tips have tried to jump on the tipping bandwagon by posting signs saying that "tipping is appreciated" even though they are providing you no special service and they are being paid the full amount of what their function is worth by their employer. I tend to disregard those signs unless I feel like someone has actually done something "above and beyond" to be helpful to me. An example of this is hotel van drivers who don't even get out of their seat to help you with your bag or to open the door, and drive in such a way that you feel fortunate to get to the hotel alive. On the other hand, if you're a little old lady with a large, heavy piece of luggage and the driver gets out and helps you stow it, and courteously helps you up into the van, then perhaps a tip would be appropriate. Another example is dock boys who don't do anything you find useful or even get in your way.

Of course it's human nature to be biased in favor of what we are most accustomed to, but I really don't see it as a very difficult problem to quickly determine what local practice is and do our best to honor that, wherever we may go.
Closed Thread