Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 15:02   #61

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Tiller on a big boat?

The tiller pilot on Carina usually breaks when the waves are coming from abaft the beam. The first impact on the quarter causes the boat to yaw, and the autopilot to try to counter that. The sideways force on the barn-door rudder is too much for the drive and various failures result. I have used RM GP drives exclusively for years - and have repaired and replaced them for years. Pelagic's drive is more powerful so I expect it will be more robust. it is also possible to use even more powerful linear drives (from other sources) with the Pelagic controller. I am also considering making an H-drive that can power a larger drive system, and be controlled by the already-installed RM controller, but the RM has never been great at steering Carina so probably just replace the whole thing. For decades RM has shown no interest in making a more powerful tiller drive for cruising boats so I wouldn't hold my breath there.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 11:01   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bestevaer 45 ST.
45 feet.

See this post for numerous photos of the nice Tiller, cockpit, dodger, boat.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2617806
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 11:41   #63

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Bestevaer 45 ST.
45 feet.
And the 53'with building number 1, for Gerard Dijkstra himself als has a tiller.
Old 18-04-2018, 21:40   #64

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Perry built a 63 footer with a tiller a couple of years back
Old 19-04-2018, 02:17   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
There was a 22,000 lb. blue water 40 footer for sale recently that had a tiller, not a wheel. This was at the special request of the 1st owner as all other boats of this model, 100+ were built, all have a wheel. The thinking was that the owner liked a tiller and that the boat would be hand steered infrequently, mostly coming into or leaving an anchorage or dock. The rest of the time the below deck auto pilot or the wind vane would do the steering and the tiller was built to stand up in the cockpit when not in use thereby making the usable space much larger.

Any thoughts of owning such a boat? Replacing the tiller with a wheel is financially prohibitive.
I prefer a wheel!

Pete
PeteTheDeliverySkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 04:51   #66

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Most people coming initially from smaller boats prefer a tiller. Just more feeling for the boat.

Most people converting from wheel to tiller will never want a wheel again...

I'd always prefer the tiller unless forces become unbearable. Still that also depends on helm balance and proper sail plan.

If I want a wheel I drive a car or motorboat [emoji3]
Old 19-04-2018, 10:31   #67

43' and about 18,000 lbs with a tiller since the 90s, with a rtw via cape of good hope, still cruising, still winning regattas....in their 70s! To my knowledge they are 2/26 S43s with a tiller.

Their blog is amazing, imho, because it's real sailing and I believe it to be the oldest blog around, pretty inspiring too
wingssail
I have wondered if they being tiller steered has helped them to keep cruising all these years but that's because theirs is very racy, all flush, no cockpit coamings, lots of deck aft so they can sit there with their feet up to steer. A lot if back and leg degeneration can build up standing over a wheel for long hours, bulkhead mounted with a cushy powerboat captains chair (think catamaran or mono like Amel Maramu) I think mitigate this problem with the aging sailor.

My S43 is the most customized around. Wheel of course but I've a hard bimini arch and its positioned just right where I suspend a hammock chair and can steer floating just aft of the wheel, using the stern seat as a foot hold if need be. Otherwise SV Wings tiller setup would be nice.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 13:02   #68

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

42’ , 20k# with tiller steering autopilot is a Pelagic.
I like having a tiller.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat