Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2018, 10:51   #286

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDW View Post
We built our Hard dodger a few years back. The boat is a Cambria 44 and drop dead gorgeous, in my opinion, so I didn't want to ugly it up. So I outsourced my design team: Cruiser's Forum. There's a thread under my name that covers the trials and iterations. When I finally got a round of hearty agreement, we started.

It was foam core built over a plywood mold in position on the boat though not glassed to the boat. Lots of work in the hot summer but the results are worth it both aesthetically and offshore.

Cheers,
Dennis
Your photo is not coming up on my iPad but did open the link.

Once job! I should have made mine detachable due to it now being more then 15' from keel to top. Truck transport would have trouble going under overpasses on long hauls. Something for the rest of you to think about.

I like the idea of a hatch on top of the hard dodger.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:07   #287

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Talking Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
clockwork o, funny you say that as I also feel the same way. This disposable world really bothers me. I've been carrying around some mental plans for years.. A cheap J24 or something. Cut off a Hourston or Double Eagle hardtop and wingnut the sucker down for the PNW. Wipers and all. Just need a slider on top to access the companionway or stand when its nice outside. Comes off in a 1/2 hr. Its going to be a great look. There was just a flybridge for sale locally, that would be cool and always leave the fenders down obviously.

So final topcoat as you can see. Not perfectly fair but you need to stop somewhere and there is solar going on top. Outside onboard it looks fantastic. Alexseal is revolutionary. If there is dust, runs or need a repair you just block sand with fine paper and polish it.
We haven't got around to bolting it down and the glass needs to show up. Nick is going to do his own canvas, that should be a novel in itself.
So that's it for now...
Chris
Yeah, funny story, a few years ago I was working on a boat I had bought in a yard in Branford, Connecticut preparing it for the trip home through the Great Lakes. One day I was walking back to the boat from the bathroom and they had a big long building open on one of the long sides facing the river so i walked back through the building instead of the yard and they store boats in there as well as the inevitable junk and I came upon this rather cool fiberglass hard dodger that had a fairly vertical front with a single glass windshield that had frittering and hinged at the top and had a wiper and washer and then a single window on each side and then the top which would presumably overhang the cockpit, my first thought was that it looked a lot like the hard dodger on John Guzzwells "Treasure". Nothing very fancy by design but just a nice workmanlike top. But then it slowly dawned on me that what I was looking at was actually the removable hardtop from a Jeep.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:12   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Yeah, funny story, a few years ago I was working on a boat I had bought in a yard in Branford, Connecticut preparing it for the trip home through the Great Lakes. One day I was walking back to the boat from the bathroom and they had a big long building open on one of the long sides facing the river so i walked back through the building instead of the yard and they store boats in there as well as the inevitable junk and I came upon this rather cool fiberglass hard dodger that had a fairly vertical front with a single glass windshield that had frittering and hinged at the top and had a wiper and washer and then a single window on each side and then the top which would presumably overhang the cockpit, my first thought was that it looked a lot like the hard dodger on John Guzzwells "Treasure". Nothing very fancy by design but just a nice workmanlike top. But then it slowly dawned on me that what I was looking at was actually the removable hardtop from a Jeep.
I have two cj7 hardtops sitting in my lawn. I think one of them might make a trek up to point breeze this weekend to see how it looks.....
Cu Mor Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:24   #289
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Illustration of Jeep hardtop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9697.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	166854  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 07:30   #290

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Yep, with a little scribing to fit or a raised boss to mount it on I think one of these might do just fine on some boats, I love the opening glass windshield with wiper and washer. This is my point, I am quite sure that windshield on that O'day 39 is off some power boat, no idea what but it looks great. I have an old Gemini catamaran with that has a factory hard dodger, actually I'm not sure what you would call it but it is poorly designed and built and I've often thought of building a new one but if I did I would try to find a suitable off the shelf automobile windshield and design the thing around it. I have to look through it from the helm and after a 1500 mile delivery trip i would never want a plastic windshield if i build a new one, i want washers and wipers. My problem is figuring out what windshield to use. If i ever get serious about it i will figure out a size range and curvature range that would work and make a visit to the local auto recycling yard, templates in hand and once i zero in on a few, price out a new one. I need a bigger top for solar panels and the ability to walk on it and also mount my traveler on it, building it strong enough and light enough in composites is a non issue for me. There are just more pressing projects that have to come first but one day.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 10:56   #291

Boat: J42

Hi Steadman,

I thought of this thread as I caught sight of this salty ketch passing by our front window at Lighthouse Point last week while doing a full peel of the paint on the walls of the Florida room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	166880  
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:09   #292
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Hi Steadman,

I thought of this thread as I caught sight of this salty ketch passing by our front window at Lighthouse Point last week while doing a full peel of the paint on the walls of the Florida room.
Hi BB!

That is an interesting, very unusual looking, large yacht.
Thanks for adding it to the mix of discussion.

I don't recognize the boat model (perhaps a custom) but that pilot house is extraordinary and eyecatching.
Old 23-03-2018, 19:54   #293

From the photo transom name on the blue pilothouse ketch on the ICW last week in Lighthouse Point FL, google returns:

"Independence
svindependence.com/Boat.html

S/V Independence is a 1980 Morgan Out Island 415 Ketch. While she may be 30+ years old, she is a beautiful boat that was completely refit in 2006 with a replacement..."

Nice looking refit indeed.
Old 27-03-2018, 12:17   #294
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spotted this very nicely equipped Aluminum boat today.

Naranja 34'

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2605183
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9854.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	167188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9855.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	167189  

Name:	IMG_9856.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	167190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9861.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	167191  

Old 07-04-2018, 11:42   #295

Hi Steadman

Thought you might enjoy our new “soft pilothouse”.

For watchstanding this summer as we circumnavigate Newfoundland I have added 3 zippers under the aft dodger bow and one inside each side flap. Twin heavy Strataglas vinyl curtains enclose the prime seats on each side, and a third center curtain overlaps them aft and can roll up or be pushed or lifted aside for passing thru. With the companionway open, the Espar should spread some benefit.

Cheers
Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	85A86E61-0DF6-42FC-8E50-741424DF0DA7.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	167739   Click image for larger version

Name:	62F4C9F7-47D0-4749-AC34-299DAA4CC766.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	167740  

Name:	82FB0023-3826-4222-A2AF-C5FCE8763567.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	167741  
Old 07-04-2018, 11:48   #296

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

my hardtop, soft dodger

The top is 2 layers of 3/8" marine ply covered in epoxy and biaxial glass. The top is supported by 4 "legs" made of 2 inch sched 40 aluminum pipe.

pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:07   #297
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Hi Steadman

Thought you might enjoy our new “soft pilothouse”.

For watchstanding this summer as we circumnavigate Newfoundland I have added 3 zippers under the aft dodger bow and one inside each side flap. Twin heavy Strataglas vinyl curtains enclose the prime seats on each side, and a third center curtain overlaps them aft and can roll up or be pushed or lifted aside for passing thru. With the companionway open, the Espar should spread some benefit.

Cheers
Bill
Bill,
Thanks for adding to the thread.

You are so industrious! I wish I had your skills with fabrication, and your focus and ability to do so many things so well on Boats.

I think we need a thread just about your boat, which is really "tricked out" and is a great example of how smart ideas can become nice additions to a good cruising boat. (More on that later.)

I think your additions will certainly make the cockpit even more enjoyable, especially if the weather is misty, rainy, or cool.. I already know how nice the canvas you have is for comfort, and now will be even better.

Good job!
Regards!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:09   #298
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
my hardtop, soft dodger

The top is 2 layers of 3/8" marine ply covered in epoxy and biaxial glass. The top is supported by 4 "legs" made of 2 inch sched 40 aluminum pipe.

That looks very nice.
I like how it blends well with the boat Profile.

I also like the black canvas sail covers, the hull stripe, and the black trim on the dodger. Good color match effect.
Good job!

Good looking Morgan OI41!
Old 18-04-2018, 10:47   #299
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

2011 Bestevaer 45ST

Notice the hard dodger and Bimini with solar panels on top.

Also look at the hand holds on the dodger, including the aft edge.

The cockpit looks oustanding too, with Tiller steering on this 45 foot boat. I like the winch arrangement, coaming, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0217.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	168314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	168321  

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	168322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	168323  

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	168324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	168325  

Name:	IMG_0224.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	168326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	168327  

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	168328  
Old 18-04-2018, 16:31   #300

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

SU--while I'm sure that dodger is functional and well made, its window design is uninspired.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood