Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 20:01   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: "The Hood" Adrift North of Bahamas W/O rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
wow! not a good place. looks like he's less than five miles off the banks. is he able to rig up some kind of steering gear, maybe dragging something off the port and starboard stern?

i don't think basra charges for their service. but they do have limited resources.

That's what I was going to say. Does he have drogues? If he can rig something to steer, I hope he gets away from the shallows.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 20:03   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Unfortunately rudder loss is not so uncommon with some Hunters. I would suggest you try and arrange a tow by a U.S. company once the boat is out of Bahamas territorial waters. The insurance on the boat should cover it. You may be able to do that for him. Getting repairs done in the Bahamas is going to be very difficult compared to the U.S. Using a combinations of sails and drogues should give steering controls if the skipper is knowledgeable enough. It just takes trial and error. Light SE forecast for today so it would be a good day to experiment. Tomorrow likely to be 10 to 15+ and we find the forecasts are usually short of actual conditions by about 5 knots. we wish him good luck. It's a real bummer for crew and boat. Chuck
Yes. I found out the hard way. It's one reason I bought a couple of drogues. Good luck to him! Foss Foam people are great guys but it will take some time and money to get a rudder to the Bahamas.
Old 14-06-2013, 20:08   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Some people fall in doo doo and come up smelling like a rose. Last I heard he was towed in and his insurance company was covering all including repairs. They got a quote in the Bahamas for $9k to install. the installation is simple. So now hes looking at maybe doing it himself and having some money left over,

The installation is simple if it's like my boat. All it takes is deep enough water, and extra weights to get the new rudder down deep enough to insert the suipporting pole into the rudder shaft. Mine also had a bolt that had to be inserted, so the rudder had to be pre-marked and drilled. A standard drill run off a generator might be better than a battery-driven one for that job, and it will take someone in the stern of the boat as well to position it for the bolt. There's no way it should cost $9k, even including the rudder.

I got one from Foss Foam about a year ago, and it was around $1700 (I picked it up, so no shipping). Took about 3 hours to install, most of that without anyone in the water.
Old 15-06-2013, 05:33   #19

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
My bro has been a bit of a pickle today I guess the title of the post says it all. He has a hunter 466 that left its rudder on the bottom in the deep. His last coordinates were N27.16.72 W 78.08.76, Couple of quick questions. Does BASRA charge for rescue? They tried to tow once but a storm was upon them and they said they had to wait till morning and get a bigger boat to tow. Anybody in the area? Does anyone know the rudder shaft size and protrusion length? Called hunter and foss foam (who built the rudder) but they were out for the weekend. Boats owner and skipper is a member here.
"the Hood" from Folly Beach? Hope not but of so tell John I'll buy the beer when he get's her home......Jay aboard "Aurora" 36 Cheoy Lee Clipper
FreeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 05:58   #20

Hey guys, ya The Hood from Folly Beach. We were in Grand Cay waiting for tropical storm Andrea to pass before we continued north to Charleston. Unfortunately the insurance company is using that delay as an excuse to deny the claim as we were supposed to be north of the GA border by June 1st. Guess they think it is a better idea to sail in a tropical storm rather than wait it out in a safe place then follow it north. Now I've got to figure out how to come up with the money for repairs and to cover the tow bill. I'll do the install myself. It's pretty straightforward. Frack...
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 06:06   #21

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
Glad to hear that boat and crew are safe.... I wish I were there to help...
FreeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 06:39   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

" The only way to win with an insurance company, is to be a shareholder"

Quote from relative who is retired VP of major world insurer
Old 15-06-2013, 06:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSC View Post
Glad to hear that boat and crew are safe.... I wish I were there to help...

We're back in SC trying to work out the details for repairs. Hoping to get back to Grand Cay in July to do the install and being her home.
Old 15-06-2013, 07:23   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkangas View Post
Hey guys, ya The Hood from Folly Beach. We were in Grand Cay waiting for tropical storm Andrea to pass before we continued north to Charleston. Unfortunately the insurance company is using that delay as an excuse to deny the claim as we were supposed to be north of the GA border by June 1st. Guess they think it is a better idea to sail in a tropical storm rather than wait it out in a safe place then follow it north. Now I've got to figure out how to come up with the money for repairs and to cover the tow bill. I'll do the install myself. It's pretty straightforward. Frack...

Fight the insurance company first. Most states have offices that can help you do that.
Old 15-06-2013, 07:26   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Fight the insurance company first. Most states have offices that can help you do that.

PS That's a cautionary tale for all of us -- don't ever tell the insurance company any more than absolutely necessary (they didn't need toknow you were going to Georgia).
Old 15-06-2013, 07:35   #26

Quote:

Ya got contact info for a maritime attorney. Contacting him Monday. Just need to keep the ball rolling. Don't want the boat in the Bahamas during hurricane season...
Old 15-06-2013, 07:37   #27

Quote:

PS That's a cautionary tale for all of us -- don't ever tell the insurance company any more than absolutely necessary (they didn't need toknow you were going to Georgia).
We were actually on our way back to Charleston. That's the summer home for the boat. The insurance company wanted us north of the south GA border by June 1st. Andrea slowed down our progress.
Old 25-07-2013, 13:08   #28

Ok, installed the rudder last Saturday and sailed her home. The new rudder from Foss Foam is a thing of beauty! So glad to have a heavy stainless rudder post rather than OEM composite post!

Can't express enough thanks to Bob at Foss. They were great to work with and the fit/finish on the new rudder was wonderful...they were fast too!
Old 25-07-2013, 13:30   #29

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkangas View Post
Ok, installed the rudder last Saturday and sailed her home. The new rudder from Foss Foam is a thing of beauty! So glad to have a heavy stainless rudder post rather than OEM composite post!

Can't express enough thanks to Bob at Foss. They were great to work with and the fit/finish on the new rudder was wonderful...they were fast too!
We used the before! Great people!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, rudder