Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Tell me why this is a bad idea

As GeneM mentioned above, Whale makes a line of diaphragm pumps specifically for this purpose, and no sump is required.

We are in our third year [full time liveaboard] using the Whale Gulper 320 IC pump system for our shower drains [two heads with showers] and it would work equally well for sink drains... They will pump anything that fits down the drain line, and empties the line because it keeps pumping for 10-15 seconds after there is no more water in the sealed manifold.

We put a drizzle of Rariton CP enzyme cleaner [which also removes soap scum...] down the drain every few weeks to keep them fresh and clean.

You can fit the pump near the discharge fitting [preferably high in the freeboard or transom] ahead of a vacuum breaker loop [as a fail-safe even though the Whale pump doesn't allow water to back-flow...]

Another advantage is there is no mini-sump to muck out— or float switches that need replacing...

Best wishes sorting it out to suit your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 03-03-2020, 14:50   #17

Good pumps are never too expensive. But if you cruise down wind in the Pacific you will encounter another problem . Beautiful Ornamental OHH Sorry Oriental ladies are supper but that glorious long sexy hair does shed
and it does clog up shower drains like nothing else. And how can you tell them without offending at all -------- it is well worth it though! What's a few hours of lying in the bilges on a hot day compared with XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXX XXXXXX ( Censored) Me three Me Three Mike Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 16:59   #18

Boat: Jupiter 40 built by Klaus Baess 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Slow View Post
As long as you have a regular strainer insert in the sink I think you should consider one of these. I have one for a shower and it works great. You still want it to pump to a vented loop etc. Mine pumps to one of my cockpit drains.
It works flawlessly and I only need to clean the screen every 4 months or so.
there are lots of them available and I just chose this one from amazon as an example, not exactly what I have but they all seem to be about the same. It can also accept more than one sink hose.
https://www.amazon.com/DasMarine12V-...3254211&sr=8-4
Thats exactly what I needed, problem solved.

Thank you, much appreciated
JimMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 18:44   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Slow View Post
As long as you have a regular strainer insert in the sink I think you should consider one of these. I have one for a shower and it works great. You still want it to pump to a vented loop etc. Mine pumps to one of my cockpit drains.
It works flawlessly and I only need to clean the screen every 4 months or so.
there are lots of them available and I just chose this one from amazon as an example, not exactly what I have but they all seem to be about the same. It can also accept more than one sink hose.
https://www.amazon.com/DasMarine12V-...3254211&sr=8-4

This basically what I built, but here in Oz they are asking $200 for them, hence my home made option.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:35   #20

Boat: Freedom 40 Freestyle 40.5'

I have a new,never used spare rule sump. The price is $95. Private message me.
Freedom40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

When we bought our current ketch it had 18 (YES, 18!) thruhulls fittings. We glassed over all but 3 and recut 3 elsewhere. All sinks (two heads and galley) now drain into Whale Polyethylene sumps and are emptied by Whale Gulper 320 pumps above the waterline. Great system and so much safer. Same sumps take AC condensate discharge. It simply makes no sense to have anything that might permit the ocean in...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:07   #22

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMann View Post
I have 2 sink that are now below the waterline, I have 2 spare pumps and wondered if this method was sound?

Thanks
Our sink’s drains are right at water level. They are plumbed to a thru Hull with a Whale Gulper in line. A button at the sink drains them. The gulper has a one way valve that mostly stops the return. On starboard tack we close the thruhull as the sink gets lower then water level.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:50   #23

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

My Columbia 29 mark 2 had eight thru-hulls! I removed 7 keeping only the engine intake. ( I even thought about going snorkel!). Nice smooth bottom made bottom maintenance easier, too. My sink drained into a bucket. On my “new” boat the sink is a bucket.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMann View Post
I have 2 sink that are now below the waterline, I have 2 spare pumps and wondered if this method was sound?

Thanks
First you must have a swan neck in the system to prevent bad smells

Your proposed system will stink

Your system needs a sump deep in the bilge

The classic small craft sump is a capped and plumbed piece of large ID. PVC pipe
The capacity of the sump might be one gallon

Water is then pumped overboard
slug is offline   Reply With Quote