Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 12:48   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Some of my best times have been with drug crazed nutters .

Not sure what reluctance is with folks not simply chopping up an intruder with a machete . Gonna be disposing of a body anyway - that best done in bits.
Sharks David..... Sharks. best to keep him in one piece till get out to sea....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 12:53   #122
Armchair Bucketeer

Btw in this small part of Britain we have own gun laws - can have anything you like, including hand guns and tripod mounted stuff. Most dont bother.........not crime free here, but if you left car unlocked in public carpark with keys in ignition all day you would be relieved but not surprised all your stuff inside was still there. You would only be surprised if the car was not there. That also applies to motorbikes!

Only 100,000 of us here mind, but the usual societal mix - the secret is being civilised, funded by affluence.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 12:58   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Btw in this small part of Britain we have own gun laws - can have anything you like, including hand guns and tripod mounted stuff. Most dont bother.........not crime free here, but if you left car unlocked in public carpark with keys in ignition all day you would be relieved but not surprised all your stuff inside was still there. You would only be surprised if the car was not there. That also applies to motorbikes!

Only 100,000 of us here mind, but the usual societal mix - the secret is being civilised, funded by affluence.
I lived in a small village in Southern Ireland in 90s. I never had keys to either front or back door.
I only ever removed car keys in big towns or cities.
Old 15-05-2014, 13:59   #124

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

The uncertainty of presence or absence of a firearm aboard helps to cast a shadow of protection over all vessels. Just sayin. HELPS, I say. A shotgun is not a o ne size fits all solution for every boat in every situation.

BTW I think a shotgun of minimum legal length is probably the best choice of defensive weapon on a yacht. Long range is not usually needed, and can actually be a liability.

I considered getting a .410 Judge revolver but was not impressed with the reviews of it so for now I generally have only my old dbl 12ga Stevens aboard. Simple and dependable.

I am a 1911 fan, don't get me wrong. But a handgun is too handy for a criminal to carry and use on other robberies. I can always replace a stolen gun but I hate to think of all the mayhem that the thief could cause with a handgun stolen from my boat.

Bear in mind that a bullet fired from a rifle could harm someone or something a mile away that was not the intended target.

DON'T EVEN CONSIDER shipping a firearm back to the US from foreign. If you sail out with it, sail back with it or disassemble and jettison it if you continue on to a port where it is absolutely not allowed. (another vote for a cheap double, preferably used and cheap)
Old 15-05-2014, 14:04   #125

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:

Wow I didn't know about that, Dave. I thought the UK had very strict anti-gun laws. Where are you in the UK, anyway?

I do notice that crime is pretty small potatoes in the UK compared to my home town of New Orleans, in general. I walk pretty much where I want, day or night, in ports like Southampton and never had an incident.
Old 15-05-2014, 14:18   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post

I do notice that crime is pretty small potatoes in the UK compared to my home town of New Orleans, in general. I walk pretty much where I want, day or night, in ports like Southampton and never had an incident.
What?!
Come with me one night my man.........
Old 15-05-2014, 14:34   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Where do you get ammo for a grenade launcher?
In the US, you would get it from dealers who have an NFA class III license. My first guess would be that SARCO might be a good place to check, but I don't use M40 rounds myself, so I've never looked to see who actually stocks them.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 14:41   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
So my question is do most people feel safe around Miami?
I'm in Miami a lot. I have a concealed weapons permit. On average I probably carry about once per year these days. In the past, when I lived in other parts of the country, I carried frequently because I had reason to believe that it was a good idea. I'm not opposed to carrying if I think it is necessary. I just don't think that it is necessary or even prudent in Miami or South Florida in general, as long as you stay out of the rough areas.
Old 15-05-2014, 14:59   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You view in Europe is very much what the pro-gun lobby presents as the picture.
It's been my experience that the population of the US has been fed a lot of misinformation about firearms laws & firearms use in other countries. Many people living in the US have been led to believe that there is no private gun ownership in the UK anymore. It was a great revelation to me when I found civilians shooting at Bisley.

I also find that a lot of misinformation exists about firearms laws in the US. Here, they vary greatly from state to state & reciprocity is only by individual agreements between specific states. I have even encountered police officers in the US that are misinformed about firearms laws that are in effect in their own jurisdictions.

Misinformation on the subject abounds in many places.
Old 15-05-2014, 15:07   #130
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
It's been my experience that the population of the US has been fed a lot of misinformation about firearms laws & firearms use in other countries. Many people living in the US have been led to believe that there is no private gun ownership in the UK anymore. It was a great revelation to me when I found civilians shooting at Bisley.

I also find that a lot of misinformation exists about firearms laws in the US. Here, they vary greatly from state to state & reciprocity is only by individual agreements between specific states. I have even encountered police officers in the US that are misinformed about firearms laws that are in effect in their own jurisdictions.

Misinformation on the subject abounds in many places.

Big shoot in Bisley soon by the way

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15-05-2014, 15:46   #131

Boat: Hunter 27

I did Immigration bail bonds for years and traveled to many different states. It was a pain carrying weapons in many places and now that I lost weight my pants fall down. So around the water and Marina areas should be reasonably safe correct. Detroit unfortunately is not. The idea of not needing to be armed is awesome. Oh and I leave my keys in my car in the hood also.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 16:02   #132
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Wow I didn't know about that, Dave. I thought the UK had very strict anti-gun laws. Where are you in the UK, anyway?

Jersey.

Old Jersey
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 21:52   #133

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

There seems to be a single thing that marks areas where when sailing - or other types of traveling - you may need to carry a firearm if you choose to visit.

And that is, areas with populations of illegal drug users. Be it Miami, the Bahamas, St Vincent, etc. just about any specific locality where there are illegal drug users, they have a constant need for money to buy their drugs. And if you choose to anchor there you can obviously expect to be a prime target. The only exception is what I call the "Fat Lion" situation. That is, where the local thieves/attackers have just finished making a raid and have enough money to purchase their next fix.

So if you wish to stop/travel through such an area rather than bypassing it, I would expect that you would have a need for a firearm on board. If you chose to bypass such areas - like Nassau in the The Bahamas, or just about all of St Vincent - then having a weapon on board is, IMHO, not necessary and a major hassle sometimes. And in some localities in some countries, simple possession of the gun/weapon on board is considered breaking the local law and can get you into a world of trouble.

You can avoid those areas also if you choose to travel with a firearm, but some of them are rather nice and interesting places to visit so I simply avoid the known "drug problem" areas and don't have any firearms on board.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 01:49   #134
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
There seems to be a single thing that marks areas where when sailing - or other types of traveling - you may need to carry a firearm if you choose to visit.

And that is, areas with populations of illegal drug users. Be it Miami, the Bahamas, St Vincent, etc. just about any specific locality where there are illegal drug users, they have a constant need for money to buy their drugs. And if you choose to anchor there you can obviously expect to be a prime target. The only exception is what I call the "Fat Lion" situation. That is, where the local thieves/attackers have just finished making a raid and have enough money to purchase their next fix.

So if you wish to stop/travel through such an area rather than bypassing it, I would expect that you would have a need for a firearm on board. If you chose to bypass such areas - like Nassau in the The Bahamas, or just about all of St Vincent - then having a weapon on board is, IMHO, not necessary and a major hassle sometimes. And in some localities in some countries, simple possession of the gun/weapon on board is considered breaking the local law and can get you into a world of trouble.

You can avoid those areas also if you choose to travel with a firearm, but some of them are rather nice and interesting places to visit so I simply avoid the known "drug problem" areas and don't have any firearms on board.

+1
An extremely pragmatic, sensible post

Dave
Old 16-05-2014, 05:51   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post

The only issue I have with this perspective is that it relies on forward knowledge & I for one don't always enjoy that luxury. I travel by boat to explore new areas that I have not seen before. If I have been warned that a particular area is rough, then I tend to avoid it. However, occasionally I stumble upon a bad area that I was not warned about. In that situation, it is sometimes nice to have options.

Tags
Bahamas