Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 17:16   #1

Sydney 2012 New Year.

I was wondering if anyone has moored / anchored in Sydney harbour for the fireworks display. I have a 37' catamaran (draws less than 3'), and thinking of sailing down from Brisbane. If so any advice would be great.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 17:28   #2

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: Sydney 2012 New Year.

Hi Davy, I have done this many times on both power & sailboats. Your draft is not an issue at all & the preferred anchorages are those on the E side of the Harbour Bridge. Depending on the prevailing wind either Farm Cove which is alongside the Opera House or Athol Bay which is over near the zoo but further from the Bridge are very popular locations. There are numerous other locations but these are the pick but there is plenty of room for everyone you just need to get there early to secure the best spots.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 17:50   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Hi Davy, I have done this many times on both power & sailboats. Your draft is not an issue at all & the preferred anchorages are those on the E side of the Harbour Bridge. Depending on the prevailing wind either Farm Cove which is alongside the Opera House or Athol Bay which is over near the zoo but further from the Bridge are very popular locations. There are numerous other locations but these are the pick but there is plenty of room for everyone you just need to get there early to secure the best spots.
+1 for Athol bay, 2010 had a great time and will probably do so again this year.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 20:47   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Take some extra fenders, a spare anchor, several boathooks with sharp points on the end, and a big jar of Valium. A good neighbor attitude helps, too.

Better yet, go on someone else's boat!

But the viewing is pretty spectacular for all that.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-06-2012, 22:18   #5

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Better yet, go on someone else's boat!

But the viewing is pretty spectacular for all that.
+1.

Everyone always has the time of their lives doing NYE on the harbour BUT the skipper

We did it once. No alcohol, unblocking the head every hour, trying to stop morons in large shiny penis extensions from fouling your chain....trying to convince morons in large shiny penis extensions to put down more than 7 metres of chain in 6 metres of water." Hey man my boat doesn't seem to be staying where I put it"

Now occasionally I help a mate take out his Dad's 50 footer. While he is unblocking the head and yelling at the Mustang drifting towards us I am downstairs with a chilled drink and the cheese platter...
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 00:00   #6

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind

Davy

I anchored once at Farm Cove for the NYE fireworks when I had a power boat. Could be the breeze but some of the ash that fell on my boat were hot. Luckily, the boat had hard top. I will be anchoring at Athol Bay for this upcoming fireworks on my 36ft cat. I will look out for you. What's your boat's name?

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 00:05   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

We've done it for a few years and had no worries. Mind you, it was in a 44' steel yacht with workboat finish and a few rust spots.

In fact we found that no one wanted to come near us, and the few that did by accident immediately apologized.

There are two main techniques, the best depends on your skill level and the weather.

#1 is to arrive as early as possible in a good spot, get the anchor well dug in, and then to settle in for the night. Offer to help any that arrive late - they always refuse, make a mess of anchoring and then slink away to lick their wounds elsewhere. The main disadvantage is that those who arrive later anchor closer to the show, blocking your view. The main advantage could be that one could have a few drinks (but do remain under the legal limit!) and still have a good time.

#2 is to arrive as late as possible, anchor on the outside of everyone else, blocking their view, then up anchor after the movement ban and go back to your mooring or marina or somewhere safe. The disadvantages are that you need good night navigation skills and drinking at all is not a good idea.

Caveat:- never tried #2 myself. Just too chicken.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 00:36   #8

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Glad to hear there's a few CF's attending. My boat will be about 5 months old by then. I was hoping to find a couple of boats who are a bit timid using their anchors and let one raft up on each side for protection. Will that work?
Old 19-06-2012, 02:40   #9

I have been on a boat in Farm Cove some years ago and it was a very good location but very crowded today. More recently anchored in Rose Bay, you would think too far away but it wasn't, but we did have the late arrival partly blocking the view being that distance away was not an issue. Fortunately after initially dragging the anchor when the wind came up, my lazy technique, then had it firmly set and it was very enjoyable.

The following year watched the fireworks from the Opera house much better very crowded a firm footing for taking reasonable photographs, and alcohol is not so much an issue if not driving, then picked the boat up on New Years day and went down to the Harbour from Pittwater, was more enjoyable if not as comfortable. This year have an apartment, should have a view from the roof but only a 5 min walk to Darling Harbour.

They do random breath tests of skippers be warned.
John23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 04:19   #10

We did Athol bay last NYE arrived on the THURSDAY before the Saturday, all the public moorings had been taken with the one near the beach having a 37footer chained and padlocked, the owner and his guests arrived Sat arvo. We had a great time with friends flying down from Brizzy and it was easy picking them up in the dinghy from Toronga Zoo ferry wharf.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney