Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 02:57   #1

Boat: Cape North 43
Stuff On The Deck

I'm finally moving on board at the end of December and will cruise the Philippines this spring before making the passage to Palau. For exercise I plan to buy a standup paddle board 11ft long 34 inches wide and weighing about 30lbs. My plan is to strap it to the safety lines up forward when sailing.

Is this a bad idea? Will I compromise boat performance? Realize I'm a better fisherman than I am a sailor.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
Brian
BriRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Stuff On The Deck

43' boat? I'm sure there would be an effect, but think it would take some mighty sensitive instrumentation to measure it, I see twin Kayaks, bicycles, bunches of Jerry cans etc. all the time. Some boats I wonder how they anchor
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:48   #3

If you go bashing to windward offshore then hanging a board on your lifelines is not going to appear too bright but no problem if its all down wind. That is a lot of surface area when being hit by a wave and the loads can be much higher than first thought.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:46   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many cruisers have items stashed to the deck.
i see you have a "performance cruiser" so you may want to pay more attention to the load issue.
try loading the paddle board on the coach house roof flat on the surface. no windage, and you can step on it to attend to your main. lash it onto your boat. is ok to use the grab rails for lashing the board.
if you load jerry cans on your deck you can load board with that.
is your boat, your toys, your performance. have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51   #5

Your most likely problem is that the lazy jib sheet will somehow catch around any protrusion on your foredeck in the most inconvenient way possible ... this is known as Murphys Law.

Does your paddle board have a fin? Watch it vanish in one tack!

I'll bet the sheet even gets caught up on the board itself unless you can work out a really clever way to attach it.

My 2c.

J
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
Your most likely problem is that the lazy jib sheet will somehow catch around any protrusion on your foredeck in the most inconvenient way possible ... this is known as Murphys Law.

Does your paddle board have a fin? Watch it vanish in one tack!

I'll bet the sheet even gets caught up on the board itself unless you can work out a really clever way to attach it.

My 2c.

J
Board will be in a board bag with fins detached. My mentor, a purist, is giving rations of shyte and says don't do it...but it's all about fun isn't it. Will stow down below if it's blowing.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:51   #7

[QUOTE=zeehag;
i see you have a "performance cruiser" so you may want to pay more attention to the load issue.

Zeehag, really appreciate your comment about "performance cruiser". Maybe you're kidding compared to modern designs but the Cape North 43 built in the late 70's and early 80's Cape Yachts Hong Kong, only 20 built, was I think a progressive design for the time. Ted Brewer design with the "Brewer Bite" modeled after one of Mr. Brewer's favorite designs the wooden boat Black Velvet II. The design was meant to allow good upwind sailing and Amihan points well.

It's really cool that I can email Ted with questions and get awesome responses.

I'm stoked to have her. I love her lines.

Anyway I'm a yearling when it comes to sailing. We've slowly refit her in the Philippines over the past two years under the careful guidance of my mentor. It's time to get aboard and progress and have fun.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:03   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

[QUOTE=BriRich;1675961][QUOTE=zeehag;

Zeehag, really appreciate your comment about "performance cruiser". Maybe you're kidding compared to modern designs but the Cape North 43 built in the late 70's and early 80's Cape Yachts Hong Kong, only 20 built, was I think a progressive design for the time. Ted Brewer design with the "Brewer Bite". I'm stoked to have her. I love her lines.

Anyway I'm a yearling when it comes to sailing. We've slowly refit her in the Philippines over the past two years and it's time to get aboard and progress.

Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]
i have a high freeboard crab crusher--you can sail circles around me until the breeze freshens to over 30kts.
then i win.
i stow jerry jugs on a board on my rail, i stow kayaks on my aft shrouds, external to boat, and i stow a row boat, 10 ft walker bay on my coachhouse roof under main boom.
performance?? f**it.....we cruisin not racing.
\modern designs are not to the liking of my aesthetic eye. is why i sail a formosa, also not a production boat.
ted brewer designs are performance appearance with good head room in interiors. you still sail faster than i do, or at similar sog.
slower than a racing boat, but we also dont hurt our boats as much as the twist o flex action hurts/stresses racing boats and boats raced.
many cruisers have surf boards and kayaks and other items securely stowed on deck.
you will find and learn what your boat will tolerate as you go.
that is a fun part of cruising...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:15   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

BriRich, have you considered racks to mount on your stanchions so board stays outside of the deck area? We use inflatable SUPs in racks but we can deflate and stow them for passages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You'll have a lot of company with the board lashed to the life line stanchions. Seems every boat that we see passing through to or from SoPac has has some kind of water toy on the deck. As others have cautioned, could be a major issue if there are boarding seas. Water pressure on such a large surface would exert very high forces on whatever it's anchored to. Think I'd want to mount it more amidships and on the lee side of the boat to keep it out these conditions. Flat on deck would be better but few boats have the real estate to do that. There would be some aerodynamic issues but not enough to worry except for a super anal racer.

The conditions we are talking about that could cause problems aren't common for cruisers. Most of us just don't go in the direction that would cause a problem with the board. If you are unfortunate enough to get caught in serious weather, very seldom happens, you might think about making a donation to Davy Jones before the waves and the board could cause a problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:47   #11

Thanks for all the response. As I said my mentor is dead set against and the more I think of it and with the advice you folks are giving me lashing it to the rail is just a bad idea., 33 sf of wave pressure and blammo.

My dink is 9'6" and stays just forward of the mast so maybe slide the 10' 10" board under it when underway. If it turns out to be a bummer I'll sell the sucker after using for a while (before any calamity hopefully).

Thanks
Old 13-11-2014, 14:07   #12

Boat: Niagara 35

SUP boards are enormous. I wouldn't even consider it. A surf board maybe, but only if I could stash it on deck in a blow. What happens when the wave rips out the stanchions and you're left with holes in your deck?

We just spent a few days surfing on Canada's west coast (Tofino). There were a lot of SUP boarders surfing and some were using inflatable boards. If they can do that, they can certainly paddle you around the anchorage! I'd seriously look at them.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 14:56   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Loads of boats in Thailand do that with paddleboards and surfboards. They make great... oh ****, mindblock. What's that word for those cloths that stop spray? Oh yeah, lee cloths. Well, we're gonna do that with a pair of kayaks. But I want a river kayak, and can't find one He's fine, he just wants one of those silly toy sea kayaks that you sit on top of...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck