Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2016, 05:31   #1

Boat: Northshore 38
pirate SS Defiance 30 Australian built

Hi I was just wondering if any Defiance 30 owners would be interested in starting a group to exchange stories, ideas and pics of the boats.
Mine was built by Jack Savage in Melbourne who made the moulds but I know boats were also built in Tasmania and I think Brisbane.

Anyhow drop me a line if interested.

Beers & Cheers

Gregor
Old 31-05-2016, 01:05   #2

Re: SS Defiance 30 Australian built

Hi Gregor,

I'd be interested. I've got a 96 Defiance 30 that came over from Queensland. I haven't seen another in Perth or Western Australia for that matter. I race it occasionally but i'm looking to fit extra solar panels and a Bimini and do more cruising on it. A forum would be great for swapping race set up tips and modification tips.

Cheers,

Rhod
Old 31-05-2016, 07:07   #3

Re: SS Defiance 30 Australian built

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPopp View Post
Hi I was just wondering if any Defiance 30 owners would be interested in starting a group to exchange stories, ideas and pics of the boats.
Mine was built by Jack Savage in Melbourne who made the moulds but I know boats were also built in Tasmania and I think Brisbane.

Anyhow drop me a line if interested.

Beers & Cheers

Gregor
Not wishing to nit pick, but.... Jack Savage got hold of the specs/design/offsets for SS30 and went to the Swanson Bros in Gosford, NSW to get a mould made.
Swansons made a couple of timber prototypes for savage. One of them was used as the plug for the mould made by swansons. Obviously several moulds were made....boats produced were the swanson 30, ss30 by Swarbricks in Fremantle, and the defiance 30 by Savage. All the same hull design. Savage fiddled with the deck/coach house design, and produced some great designs. Right up to recent times.

In those days boatbuilders collaborated, and there was extensive cooperation between the three builders mentioned.

Nice boat, I have sailed on one briefly, a Swanson 30.

Lee

PS I think there is an owners group somewhere.

Tags
Australia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: