Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 16:33   #16

Re: SS Defiance 30 Australian built

Quote:
Originally Posted by X24 View Post
@Daff: Thanks for your posts and the background. My yacht Spinola Bay was launched in Paynesville in 1997 after being fitted out by a local carpenter/builder who acquired the hull and deck from Savage, so at best the hull and deck were already 18 years old then.

I have reached out to Savages to try and get some background but unfortunately they seem less than interested in responding to my hails.
Hi! X24, I could not comment on your hull and deck being a Savage build. The last few hull and deck "kit" boats where all a light cream colour. As stated the moulds went to Sydney with Fred Short being the builder of later hulls. Fred was the manager at Savages for some years by the way. The fate of the moulds after Fred's use I am not sure as I did see them noted as being at a land fill and some posted that they should be rescued. After that I am nun the wiser.
As for contacting Savage's where did you go? The "Savage Boat" name and IP were sold to Telwater in QLD back in 1999 but that was not the builder of these yachts. As J.J.Savage & Sons P/L under the banner of Savage Cruisers in Nelson Place in Williamstown built all the fiberglass boats. Till it closed down fiberglass in 1979 due to the oil/ fuel crisis. The sister company Savage Alumacraft continued to build Alloy boats and then restarted to build fiberglass runabouts again in the early 1990's in the same shed as the old f/glass boats ( 24,26,28,33 Power, 30,42 Yachts ) were built. Sounds confusing but the two companies under the same "parent" of J.J.Savage & Sons P/L were sold to Mercury ( Marine Power Int) who onsold they to Telwater ( Quintrex) in 2009. The parent company still operates but has the trading name of Savages Wharf where John Savage has the boat yard where they traded from the 1930's and the fiberglass yachts were built. Being a more haul out and repair yard for contractors to repair boats now. Hope that helps in the background of the Defiance's. Having worked there 1975-79 and again 1983-2009 is my background to the above. cheers Daff.
Daff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 16:58   #17
X24

Boat: S&S 30 Savage Defiance

Daff, the boat has always been listed as a Savage Defiance and is a cream colour - albeit a bit scuffed and chipped.

It was Savages Wharf I got in touch with on several occasions and despite the promises of a call no-one has ever phoned or emailed so I am very thankful for the background that you have provided.

In their own way these are a part of our yachting history and despite being older boats now people still have vivid memories of them, mainly racing but a bit of cruising too which is what we want to do more of on ours. As it's my first yacht I was attempting to establish a bit more provenance I suppose.
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 17:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by X24 View Post
Daff, the boat has always been listed as a Savage Defiance and is a cream colour - albeit a bit scuffed and chipped.

It was Savages Wharf I got in touch with on several occasions and despite the promises of a call no-one has ever phoned or emailed so I am very thankful for the background that you have provided.

In their own way these are a part of our yachting history and despite being older boats now people still have vivid memories of them, mainly racing but a bit of cruising too which is what we want to do more of on ours. As it's my first yacht I was attempting to establish a bit more provenance I suppose.
Hi X24, The cream gelcoated hulls were the kit boats as stated built in the last couple of years at Savages. 77-79. They were sold in several stages of build with and without timber mouldings etc and rigs supplied or not. Apart from that and my own memories that's all I can say as the fire at the factory in 1994 wiped a lot of records away. Cheers Daff.
Old 27-09-2021, 17:51   #19
X24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daff View Post
Hi X24, The cream gelcoated hulls were the kit boats as stated built in the last couple of years at Savages. 77-79. They were sold in several stages of build with and without timber mouldings etc and rigs supplied or not. Apart from that and my own memories that's all I can say as the fire at the factory in 1994 wiped a lot of records away. Cheers Daff.
Hi Daff, oh well that fire is part of the story now too. For the record, legend has it that Spinola Bay was fitted out with a second-hand rig and engine - an old Volvo 2002 that I replaced nearly 2 years ago with a new Vetus. Couldn't be certain about the mast, but everyone who has seen it reckons it's a pretty stout stick for a boat that size which tends to support the theory that maybe it didn't come with the hull and deck. I replaced the standing rigging a couple of years ago too.

The original owner - a local builder in East Gippsland - did all the interior joinery which is pretty good for the most part and has held up well.
Old 27-09-2021, 17:59   #20

Great to hear that any yacht is loved and used. Take care in these weird times and I hope you get back out on the water soon. Cheers Daff.
Old 27-09-2021, 18:07   #21
X24

Quote:
Great to hear that any yacht is loved and used. Take care in these weird times and I hope you get back out on the water soon. Cheers Daff.
Thanks Daff. What about yourself - on the water in some way?
Old 27-09-2021, 19:41   #22

On the water decades. Live on the surf coast in Vic so never far away. Cheers Daff.
Old 28-09-2021, 17:02   #23
X24

Quote:
On the water decades. Live on the surf coast in Vic so never far away. Cheers Daff.
Geelong myself. Love being near the water.
Old 23-02-2022, 01:39   #24

New to the forum ... Great reading about the Defiance history.

Am considering purchasing one ... its labelled as a 1979 Savage 30 Defiance ... its my first yacht and I'm just a bit scared as apart from this owners thread, I don't really see any for sale ... just lots of Cavaliers, Swansons, Roberts etc

Being a 1979 Yacht, I do realise there will need to be money spent, but that comes with any 40 yr old boat.

Would love to hear if its easy and rewarding to sail.

I am hoping to have my son and daughter come for sails, but I dare say, I could be solo a bit too ... would this Yacht suit a single handed sailor?

Has anyone installed an Autopilot under the deck, rather than just connected straight to the tiller?

Any guidance appreciated.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 15:50   #25
X24

Welcome Numbers,

These are nice sailing boats, originally conceived as an offshore racing yacht under the IOR. You can absolutely sail them on your own, they feel like a big dinghy. Seem to be a couple of interior and deck options, one for cruising, the other for racing. There is good interior volume for the length.

Cheers

X24
Old 24-02-2022, 20:11   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Numbers,

My husband, Jim, had an American S&S 30, they called them Yankee 30's there. He won numerous Ass'n of Singlehanders Ocean Series races with her. So, yes to singlehanding.

Also, Yes to being a nice weekender for families. She is a little tender for long ocean passages, but a competent - at everything - boat.

You are sure to enjoy her. Good luck with your search.

Ann
Old 25-02-2022, 00:42   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Numbers.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 16:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
New to the forum ... Great reading about the Defiance history.

Am considering purchasing one ... its labelled as a 1979 Savage 30 Defiance ... its my first yacht and I'm just a bit scared as apart from this owners thread, I don't really see any for sale ... just lots of Cavaliers, Swansons, Roberts etc

Being a 1979 Yacht, I do realise there will need to be money spent, but that comes with any 40 yr old boat.

Would love to hear if its easy and rewarding to sail.

I am hoping to have my son and daughter come for sails, but I dare say, I could be solo a bit too ... would this Yacht suit a single handed sailor?

Has anyone installed an Autopilot under the deck, rather than just connected straight to the tiller?

Any guidance appreciated.
in regards to your query on the Defiances. They are good little sea boats and would be a good short hander. You say the yacht is a 1979 build so it may have been built by Fred Short in Sydney after Savages in Williamstown stop building them. There were two deck versions, the original humped deck with sloping decks and a Cruiser deck version with flat decks and a longer wedged cabin. Both had similar room below though the racing version may only have one quarter berth. The tiller steered version would probably not have any room on the rudder shaft to connect an auto helm from memory. There is a racing deck for sale in QLD Crackerjack which would be a good a buy being well looked after over it's lifetime. It is a guaranteed Savage build. Cheers DW
Old 26-02-2022, 15:52   #29

Thanks everyone, appreciate your input.

Nearly time to commit, or run away with my tail between my legs.

Not sure if I want courage to make a positive life decision and pour money into a yacht for many years to come, or wether I want to be smart and put money into me being able to retire some day :-)
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 13:40   #30

Hi all , happy to join a group regarding defiance 30 .

I have a savage built boat purchased in Williamstown about 2011 .
Not sure on year built , boat name is KaraKara . All GRP sloping cabin top .
Sails to windward like a dream .
Regards Jim
KaraKara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia