Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 19:55   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
No worries about the time, we're just getting up here in Thailand.

Help is available here 24/7!
Thanks Doodles,

I like the quote on your signature. The CF is like a regular 24 hour helpline.

I wasn't ever planning on buying something smaller than 25.

Since yall have basically talked me out of a trailerable boat, I'm hoping to find a decent 30' (one that I don't have to drop a lot into rebuilding, and has a shallow enough draft to allow for ICW in Georgia.

Any reason one of these can't cross the Gulf Stream?
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 20:00   #32

How about something like this

I'm not saying this particular boat, but maybe something like this would be a good beginner?

1991 Catalina 28 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 18-08-2010, 20:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If you're limiting your cruise to the USA east coast, and your home port is Georgia, you should not have to trailer the boat home.

Sail it home. Sailing the boat one way and then dragging it home via the highway will earn you zero style points. You might as well do the Appalachia Trail in a golf cart, or ride the Tour de France on a moped.

Sailing. We do it with sails.

Nice analogy Bash. I didn't mean drag it back to Georgia. I was thinking more sail it back to Georgia, but then I'd need some way to get it to the lake near my house in North Georgia for some weekend fun, plus there's the issue of draft in the lake.

I'm pretty much scrapping this idea of the trailer after the advice on here anyway.

Back to the original plan to look for the best real sailboat my limited money can buy.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:05   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
All sorts of stuff have crossed the Gulf Stream on the way to the Bahamas, so yes any 30 footer would work.

There is a Nor' Sea 27 that is trailerable and a blue water boat. Here's a link to someone living aboard on the East Coast:

Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Old 18-08-2010, 20:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
I'm not saying this particular boat, but maybe something like this would be a good beginner?

Also, the Catalina 27 would work. Largest production run of any sailboat to date, so lots to chose from.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:09   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:

now you're talking. I actually think, dollar for dollar, that the Catalina 27 is a better boat, especially if you can get one with an 18hp yanmar.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:12   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Go to the boat shows especially in St Petersburg. There are some mighty fine Hunter "trailer sailors" that would work just fine. Of course, if you go that route you will be spending not only money on the boat but also on the vehicle to haul it.
- - The size 28 to 30 ft is about right for some serious east coast gunkholing. You have minimal draft to get up some fabulous creeks and rivers that nobody else can access. Also there is enough room inside for young "backpacker" types to be reasonably comfortable - about twice the size of those mountain tents.
- - I would suggest a boat with nothing inside except some lanterns and a minimal electrical system for radios and lights. Only an outboard motor is needed hanging on a lifting mount. Some solar panels for recharging the batteries. Keep it extremely simple. The more you have the more you have to fix and maintain.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 20:14   #38

Good to hear, I've seen lots of those on yachtworld, and a few on sailboat listings in my price range.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Go to the boat shows especially in St Petersburg. There are some mighty fine Hunter "trailer sailors" that would work just fine. Of course, if you go that route you will be spending not only money on the boat but also on the vehicle to haul it.
- - The size 28 to 30 ft is about right for some serious east coast gunkholing. You have minimal draft to get up some fabulous creeks and rivers that nobody else can access. Also there is enough room inside for young "backpacker" types to be reasonably comfortable - about twice the size of those mountain tents.
- - I would suggest a boat with nothing inside except some lanterns and a minimal electrical system for radios and lights. Only an outboard motor is needed hanging on a lifting mount. Some solar panels for recharging the batteries. Keep it extremely simple. The more you have the more you have to fix and maintain.
I keep seeing lots of references to boat shows, are these not just new boats?

I remember going to a boat show when I was very young in Atlanta, and it was basically all new ski boats and fishing boats. Obviously these are near the ocean and would have sailing, but are there used boats to look at there, or is this just a good way to get an idea of what I like?

If the latter, how much do boat models change with time?
I'm guessing I'll be buying something from the 80's.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:26   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:

That really depends on the manufacturer. Some will improve the design from one boat to the next, others will keep the basic hulls as consistent as possible throughout a production run that may span decades.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:30   #41

Quote:
Obviously these are near the ocean and would have sailing, but are there used boats to look at there, or is this just a good way to get an idea of what I like?

Unless its a "used boat" show, its just new boats but a good place to see equipment and things you might need for a used boat.

I think you'd be very happy with something from the 80's. Lots of good buys right now.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:48   #42

Well, unfortunately I'm not in Thailand and midnight is approaching in Georgia. A few more months of clients, building, and planning, and it will be boat buying and sea time for us hopefully.

Good night all and congrats on already being out there living your dreams.
Old 18-08-2010, 20:53   #43

Quote:
Well, unfortunately I'm not in Thailand and midnight is approaching in Georgia. A few more months of clients, building, and planning, and it will be boat buying and sea time for us hopefully.

Good night all and congrats on already being out there living your dreams.
Nightie, night and may you have sweat dreams of boat buying.
Old 19-08-2010, 05:27   #44

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
In Florida each year there are excellent major boat shows in St. Petersburg; Miami; Ft Lauderdale. At these shows you will see all the new boats along with lots of vendors displaying parts and accessories. It is a major educational experience for anybody seriously considering buying a boat and a very worthwhile experience.
- - There used to be "used boat" shows back before the economic collapse but I think they would be difficult to find these days. It costs money to "show your boat." Fort Lauderdale Boat show used to have quite a few "used" boats in their show.
- - As stated by Doodles there are great opportunities to see all the parts and things that make a boat. Also there are brokers and listing vendors with information on what used boats are available in the region.
- - But from closely looking/examining while crawling through and around the "new" small boats you can get a good feeling for the things and designs that are "main stream" in sailboats. This information then can used to evaluate potential used boats you find elsewhere.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 06:26   #45

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
The financial plan looks good, provided, you are experienced in the landlording business and understand the need for sufficient financial reserves. The route also seems a very reasonable approach. The boat is a problem and I think Gord is being very gentle. A boat like that will be uncomfortable and is not appropriate to the route, in my opinion, either. If the cost of hauling the boat around for prep and launch for a two year trip is prohibitive, I don't think you can afford to go. Just a thought.
Drew,

I think Gord was appropriate in stating "first choice", but a trailerable boat is definitely an option. Having lived on a trailerable boat for 2 years now, and sailed the locations in question, it is totally realistic, and actually most cruisers I meet are amazed at our setup and flexibility.

Best feature of a trailerable boat is the ability to go 55 to 65 mph upwind, especially when outrunning a hurricane.

Cheers