Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 16:07   #16

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua
Re: Short wave radio ??

I recently did a blog post on this very subject, if you are interested:

Weather Faxes

Old 02-09-2018, 16:27   #17

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
PLease translate in plain English. Thanks. LOL.
Some people tend to complicate the simple.

Any SSB capable receiver will suffice. The USB/LSB refers to upper/lower sideband which isn't important to you as all SSB receivers have capability for either. And the "osilator" is an oscillator which simply inserts a signal into the SSB to allow it to sound intelligible.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I recently did a blog post on this very subject, if you are interested:

Weather Faxes

Many thanks for your link. I am going to experiment with the weather fax. A very interesting blog too.
greensail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 18:33   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I have lots to learn still about SSB
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 22:50   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Marine radios are not just receivers but transmit too--else they would be of limited usefulness. They are HF, VHF and UHF. All of them are shortwave transceivers.

The cruising vessel needs to be equipped with all three, but if one must shed one, get rid of the UHF. Ultra-High-Frequency is limited in range most of the time and is only used for in-harbour chit-chat. In Oz it is not always monitored at base stations.

VHF has a longer range and is used for coastal transmissions. Ship to shore and ship to ship, and it is monitored ashore at base stations most of the time.

For VHF and HF one needs an operator's certificate handed out after passing an examination--which is not particularly onerous for the VHF. The HF certificate examination is more searching and of wider scope and the exam text more comprehensive--but it is still within the reach of anyone reading up a bit and sitting the course.

Listening in to any short wave broadcast stations is OK for marine weather forecasts, news and music, and the range of short-wave stations is very much greater than the usual Medium wave and FM stations. Weather information bulletins are broadcast on HF and VHF too. On the broadcast service their is often a bulletin for mariners--so having a broadcast FM/AM medium and short wave receiver with multi-bandwidths is a good idea.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02   #21

Boat: Beneteau first 26

VHF. Doesn't require a license or certificate in Greece , I wonder if I will be asked to have this paper in other countries , until now nobody asked for it in Europe .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:11   #22

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
Does any one has a list of the frequencies and hours weather information can be received worldwide?
http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/radio-s...services.shtml

https://www.metservice.com/marine/ra...dcast-schedule

For down under.
Old 03-09-2018, 14:09   #23

I doubt anyone would ask for it. The ship VHF station does not have to have a licence any longer in Oz--but someone aboard should have an operator's certificate.
Old 03-09-2018, 15:14   #24

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Marine radios are not just receivers but transmit too--else they would be of limited usefulness. They are HF, VHF and UHF. All of them are shortwave transceivers.

The cruising vessel needs to be equipped with all three, but if one must shed one, get rid of the UHF. Ultra-High-Frequency is limited in range....
There is no frequency allocation in the UHF spectrum assigned to marine use. Not that it matter but both VHF and UHF are typically line of sight and neither offers longer range. And I'm unaware of any country which requires applicant testing as a prerequisite for marine HF licensing.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 15:43   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
........ And I'm unaware of any country which requires applicant testing as a prerequisite for marine HF licensing.
Really, I understood all (most?) did. Certainly in Australia, you must have the required operators certificate before receiving a station licence. The operators certificate issued only after training/testing.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 21:38   #26

AUSTRALIAN MARINE FREQUENCIES

Also--you should be aware that a certificate is required to operate marine radio for VHF and HF.

Also--the range of VHF is much greater than that of UHF. So now you DO know.
Old 03-09-2018, 23:50   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Really, I understood all (most?) did. Certainly in Australia, you must have the required operators certificate before receiving a station licence. The operators certificate issued only after training/testing.
They are two separate issues and when I did have my ships station registered I don't recall the spectrum management folks showing any interest in whether or not I had a ship station operators certificate.

I could own a dozen transceivers and use them to listen on any frequency I choose and as long as I do not transmit I have not infringed any laws or regulations in Australia.

Since most maritime commercial organizations now use satellite comms you can wander up and down the marine frequencies and hear very little. It would do no harm for the ITU to assign a couple of frequencies in the HF band for unregistered use and encourage more people to install HF on their vessels. As wonderful as the satellite technology is it is not broadcast and consequently not as well suited to getting a wide audience in emergency situations.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 00:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
They are two separate issues and when I did have my ships station registered I don't recall the spectrum management folks showing any interest in whether or not I had a ship station operators certificate.

Hmm... my experience has been different. All three times getting a ship's station licence for HF (early 80s, early 90s and in 2003/2004), they asked for a copy of my RO certificate.

I haven't checked with ACMA lately, sometimes things change
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-09-2018, 05:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

A quick check on the ACMA website confirms you are required to have a LROCP in order to licence a HF radio on a boat in Australia.

https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/mari...of-proficiency

&

https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/mari...lines#advisory

&

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00884
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There is no frequency allocation in the UHF spectrum assigned to marine use.
That's what I thought too, until I looked it up: https://www.cept.org/ecc/topics/mari...communications

The USCG also uses some UHF channels, but I can't tell if these are intended for general use by the public. Some of the crew-communications headsets use the UHF frequencies allocated to "personal radio service".

Regardless, as you point out UHF is generally even shorter-range than VHF and neither are "short wave" radio.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio