Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 07:26   #1

Boat: Jason 35
Sharing Marina Expenses

I had an Idea. I'm new to sailing - actually, I've only sailed twice in my life, but I'm hooked and working on a full time sailing life.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a boat and be a liveaboard sailor. I was wondering if a couple (or more) of boaters couldn't share a dock space at a marina. Like for instance, while one is blue-watering out in the great meridian, the other could be using the space and facilities. Then when the bluewater boat gets back from the trip it could take the space, and the other one could head out. You know, kind of switch places, trade off, rotate if you will. That way, the cost of the docking and marina fees would be half price, or thirds, for both or the three of you. And the space would be kept up all the time (of course, this is assuming both or all three parties are responsible and considerate to the others).

Has this been done before?

www.joekeck.com
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21   #2

That might work but ... many marinas have rules against this, it seems it is their slip when you are away. I am sure you could find a marina that would agree to this if you searched a bit
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57   #3

I was afraid of that. If the marinas didn't have rules against it, they wouldn't make as much money. I'm sure the marina would like it if you paid for the slip and NEVER spent a day there. That way they would have less wear and tear on there dock, slip, facilities, less electricity and water to supply, and so on. Not blaming them, I'm a capitalist, I believe in someone making as much money as they choose. But I also be in someone saving as much money as they choose.

Well, something to think about when I do get my boat and move to So Cal.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
I believe that you might be able to go to a marina and present the idea as a package deal. You would probably have to agree a slight increase in cost, but should be able to negotiate a significant reduction. You should also include a what if you both need to overlap in the marina for a couple of days occassionally.

If you do not ask, you definitely will not get!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
uh-oh. reality time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
Well, something to think about when I do get my boat and move to So Cal.
You're planning to live aboard in Southern California? Depending on where you're planning to move, it may take years and years on a waitlist to get a slip. Seriously, you ought to start calling marinas now before you make further plans. Prepare yourself for some sticker shock when you ask how much per foot it costs. $12 per foot per month is not unheard of. And realize that in many marinas the only way to get a slip is to buy the boat that's already in the slip. Which inflates its worth, naturally. Then, if you want to live aboard, matters get really complicated.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:28   #6

Talbot -
Great idea, making a package pitch to the marina, thanks.
As far as overlap, we could work that out timewise. One could stay one the hook for those conflicting days.

Bash -
I was originally planning to live entirely on the hook. You're right about the cost, but I didn't know about the waiting list time. Wow. As I said, planning to live hook, just had got the idea and thought I'd get some input. Thanks for yours.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
Great idea, making a package pitch to the marina,
I have done this in UK for haul out and overwinter with three boats and got a reasonable discount. The probability of success is dependent on how many slots they have that are free, and how many other marinas in the vicinity.

Supply and demand is the fundamental rule of a commercial market.
Old 12-09-2009, 23:16   #8

"Supply and demand is the fundamental rule of a commercial market."

Oh how true, Talbot.
Old 12-09-2009, 23:35   #9

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You're planning to live aboard in Southern California? Depending on where you're planning to move, it may take years and years on a waitlist to get a slip. Seriously, you ought to start calling marinas now before you make further plans. Prepare yourself for some sticker shock when you ask how much per foot it costs. $12 per foot per month is not unheard of. And realize that in many marinas the only way to get a slip is to buy the boat that's already in the slip. Which inflates its worth, naturally. Then, if you want to live aboard, matters get really complicated.
I'm afraid this is a bit of an exaggeration. We have had no problem getting liveaboard status at four different marinas in San Diego over the course of a year and a half. The price for a 40 ft slip with live aboard is somewhere between $950 and $1400. I am not sure what it is for non liveaboard but think it is somewhere between $650-$750. I was very worried when I moved out here because of reports like this but found them to be largely a myth.

I do agree that you should start calling and touring marinas now though. The atmosphere of a place can really make or break your experience.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 23:43   #10

Thanks, unbusted67.
Old 13-09-2009, 01:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
$12 per foot per month is not unheard of.
Being from the UK, this sounds like an extremely reasonable price to me! Why do I live in such a crappy country?
bencoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 02:34   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Anyway, I'm planning to buy a boat and be a live aboard sailor. I was wondering if a couple (or more) of boaters couldn't share a dock space at a marina. Like for instance, while one is blue-watering out in the great meridian, the other could be using the space and facilities.
There really are a lot of reasons this won't work. First, as noted the marina is in the slip rental business and you are not. Sub leasing slips creates contractual problems since the marina wants a contract with the owner of the boat not the owner of the slip contract. Standard contracts call for you to notify the marina any time you will not be there for more than a day. If you can find a contract that is transferable then you have found a real gold mine. Buying and selling slip contracts would be a very good business in highly priced markets. No marina is dumb enough to cut you in on the action or let you get into the transient slip business using their docks.

Nothing would prevent slip holders from getting a slip then keeping it forever and using the market pricing to create some income stream leaving the marina to deal with all the issues and unable to enforce a slip contract with a person that has a contract with you.

It would then not be hard to get a bunch of slips rented then start a business of subleasesing them on a short term basis. With a little effort it would be possible to have your own marina scattered about and never need to get your hands dirty so long as you collected the fees and paid your contracts. If you couldn't pay your contracts you could keep all the fees collected and bail leaving the marina to hold nothing but the slip they already own and attach a boat you don't own.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 02:59   #13

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
In Plymouth, England, an area which is about mid scale on charges, the cost is around $14.50 per foot, per month providing you have an annual contract.
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 09:37   #14

bencoder - "Why do I live in such a crappy country?"
Don't worry, with our politicians, we are not far behind you!

Pblais -
I think your syllogistic logic stretches a little thin, but I get your point, and for the most part, agree with it. Oh well, just and idea.