Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: have you taken a formal self defense training class
yes I have taken training 45 65.22%
no I have no formal training 12 17.39%
I think I look into/take a class 2 2.90%
I don't think it is needed and aren't planning to take one 12 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 16:21   #46
cruiser

Re: self defense - are you trained

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm read that works well to stop a rapist.

But may have less effect on someone breaking into the boat.
Mabe they'll slip and fall in it..... But then they'll be really pissed.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 16:24   #47
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
'... you want to be taken seriously... dress the part... don't dress like a prat and an easy mark
OTOH I bet the normal overweight 60+ cruiser with some training will really be a surprise to the local a-hole when they get punched in the throat. It probably messes up their day when the easy prey turns out to have teeth.
Old 15-10-2013, 16:33   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
(lots of editing)
As for your comment on my natural reaction you obviously have never run into an Army Ranger ....

I've also found that the alertness and physical ability I project affects the perception of those around me. Perhaps it makes them want to look for easier pickin's ....

You took my comment the wrong way as I see by your defensive response. It was directed to others... Not you. It was a general "you" as in "One never knows." I figured you would know how you'd react.

As for your second comment.... I agree 100%
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 16:36   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
BJJ is indeed an excellent choice for all around self defense training (Gracie Barra Seattle myself- Gracie Barra Seattle Martial Arts School - Jiu-Jitsu for everyone - Master Carlos Gracie Jr. - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ). But for most older cruisers looking to learn practical and effective methods of self defense without dedicating serious amounts of time, Krav Maga is very hard to beat. Difficult to find courses though. Imi Lichtenfeld was a genius. Krav Maga was developed specifically as a method of defense in life or death situations, often with multiple assailants. It is one of the very few martial arts based on pure practicality. Imi developed it and taught it to his fellow Jews in the ghetto during the Nazi occupation of Europe to help them fight for their lives against gangs of Nazi youths.

It is has been steadily developed ever since, and is taught to every Israeli citizen as part of their military service. It includes the use of improvised weapons, knives, batons, rifle w/bayonet, etc. etc. If you want to learn how to defend yourself, you really can't go wrong finding a reputable Krav Maga trainer.
Of course, as with any martial art, training is everything. A more practical martial art like BJJ, Aikido with Ki, or Krav Maga can't make up for that. But good training can make the most harmless looking person a dangerous opponent.

Krav Maga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Krav Maga Worldwide

I'm thinking all those guys are athletes.

Most cruisers are not.
Old 15-10-2013, 16:46   #50

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You took my comment the wrong way as I see by your defensive response. It was directed to others... Not you. It was a general "you" as in "One never knows." I figured you would know how you'd react.

As for your second comment.... I agree 100%
Looking back over your comments, I believe we agree on more than we disagree.

Old 15-10-2013, 16:48   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: self defense - are you trained

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
OTOH I bet the normal overweight 60+ cruiser with some training will really be a surprise to the local a-hole when they get punched in the throat. It probably messes up their day when the easy prey turns out to have teeth.
Takes a lot of serious training to beat a 20 something year olds reflex's... especially for over 50's... dream on mate

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 18:39   #52

Boat: PETERSON 44
Pretty sure my 12 year old could take out most 50 year olds. Wear out any 40 year old. Baffle the 30 year olds and charm the 20 year olds. If you mess with me I just throw him at you and run. Now it's your problem guarantee you will beg for mercy and we will become friends. Having shared the trauma we can now relate and relish how we survived.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 18:42   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You were a police officer, and I understand your background, but have you ever personally faced a one on one robbery threat alone or with your spouse while unarmed? My wife and I have twice, and I can tell you it didn't happen the way you describe... although I realize it can. One on two (of us), each robber was most likely expecting my wife and I to submit and just hand over the cash like 99% of his other victims. What they didn't expect, was my wife going ballistic and the two of us attacking, chasing and capturing them for the police. Today, one is in prison and no longer a threat to anyone.

My point is: Since you'll never know what your natural reaction will be in this sort of situation, it's best to be prepared. The OP Sailorboy has the right idea. Obtain the training, then he'll be ready. The police were no help at all to either of us in those two situations.
Kicking criminal ass,thats cool!!Kudos for the "Fine Little Lady"..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 18:48   #54

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Like I told my son, "never know how good a fighter you'll be until you take that first punch"
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 18:49   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Reading this made me wonder - what about darts? You could keep a dartboard on your boat and use them as weapons if needed. With good aim, it could certainly stop an intruder without getting close to them and I would think would be perfectly legal as well?
I like this idea ,darts with poison tips ,darts with explosive tips,darts with dookie on them,well, darts with explosive tips..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 19:13   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Bit out of text but funny and justice prevails..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=448385358603739
Old 15-10-2013, 19:52   #57

Not funny. You just saw some young kid get shot. Not saying that the police were wrong but it's not funny. That's really sad. Hope you can rethink that a shooting is funny.
Old 15-10-2013, 19:57   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Not funny. You just saw some young kid get shot. Not saying that the police were wrong but it's not funny. That's really sad. Hope you can rethink that a shooting is funny.
Had the sound off so didn't here the shots thought he just fell over.. So not funny but He who plays with guns etc etc
Old 15-10-2013, 20:11   #59

Think better of you. I can see how if you did not know or hear the shots it might look funny .
Thanks for recognizing what happened.
Old 15-10-2013, 23:13   #60
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I'm thinking all those guys are athletes.

Most cruisers are not.

You miss the point. The martial art they are practicing has been carefully designed to teach people who are NOT athletes to effectively defend themselves in serious combat situations in the least possible amount of time. Just because the front men are obvious athletes doesn't mean it's not a great form of training for self defense. When the Israeli's pick a form of training or equipment for combat you can generally be sure it works, they don't have room to screw around. This is what is used by the IDF, Mossad, and Shin Bet. Don't get in a fight with an Israeli, you'll get your ass handed to you.

Sambo is the other military martial art. It is practiced by the Russian military and it's various special forces. It is also a remarkably effective method of self defense (or in this case, offense), but is far too energetic, aggressive, and demanding for the average person of anything less than excellent conditioning. Krav Maga was specifically designed to allow young people, women, and the elderly to defend themselves against groups of larger more powerful men. The Jews in the ghetto really had no room for theatrics, even more so than their descendants today. Just do a bit of research and I think you'll find that as far as formal training goes, it's very hard to beat for the average person.

Sambo (martial art) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm talking about no holds barred military grade training for WOMEN as well as men. Don't mess with these ladies...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote