Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 13:23   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Sea Trial Question - Who Can Go?

Question for those of you who have done a sea trial. On my first I took the family (4 of us) no issue. The current boat I am looking at, they want it limited to me. Odd that they even bring this up but on an IP 31 they are concerned that too many of us (two surveyors, 4 of us, broker, ???) are going to make it difficult to work around.

They were unwilling to say I could not bring the others, only that they believe I should be the only one. Anyone ever have this issue? As the family has been sacrificing for the eventual purchase, they have all been involved in the process until now.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:31   #2

Not ran into any problem with two people, on larger boats. But room is an issue and really, assuming the family has spent at least a couple of long visits prior if you are at the sea trial stage... maybe it's better for you if you are alone? 7 people on a 30 footer is a nightmare! You need to focus on the task at hand, and if you hear a noise be able to open the engine box etc without people everywhere....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:40   #3

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
I agree. It would be hard to concentrate with an understandably excited crew bouncing all over the place. You don't need the distractions they could cause.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:43   #4

Boat: Cascade
Yes go out on your own. You will be able to spend more time with the boat and less on the family. You will have lots of time at the dock to show them around.
Old 19-10-2009, 13:48   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Speaking from the perspective of the Seller, I would be unwilling to permit more than a prospective buyer, his wife, and his surveyor or other advisor aboard for a sea trial. Moreover, I would (and did in past) require all to sign a simple waiver of liability and hold-harmless agreement as things can happen even under benign conditions. The purpose of s sea-trial is to demonstrate the yacht's performance under sail and power to the prospective buyer(s) and his/her/their advisor. It is not a pleasure cruise. There will be time enough for that should you elect to buy the yacht.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 14:09   #6

Boat: Endurance 40 MK II "El VagaBundo"
I just sold a 30' Gib Sea and I took a family of 4 out. Husband wife and 2 kids... I believe it was the kids that actually sold the boat because they were excited and loved the ride.

it wasn't a big hassle because I asked them work while aboard and that got everyone involved and allowed the parents to show the kids that cruising was more than lunch on the water... and I'm sure "some" people would actually like to know if their children or other family members will enjoy the boat as well...
Old 19-10-2009, 16:47   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
7 people in a 31 is a lot ...
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 18:11   #8

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Interesting. thank you all. I was leaning more toward - they gave up as much as I to get here, but I see the point.

svHyLyte - I find yours interesting. I doubt I would sign one, without any knowledge whether you are Nemo or Ahab. Tthe broker tells me they cover the liability during the trial. Which could explain their desire to keep others off.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 20:21   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
No Family? No Sale.......

I can see objections if the children are very young.

But if they are old enough to assist in sailing...they should go.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 21:49   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
No Family? No Sale.......

I can see objections if the children are very young.

But if they are old enough to assist in sailing...they should go.
I agree it is your family buying the boat not just you. Something I did not do on the last sea trial that I did was to make sure that every system was operating. Take a list of all the systems on the boat and ask for a demonstration that each of them works. If they don't work they shoud be made to work prior to purchase.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 09:23   #11

You can certainly insist on whatever you want, you're the buyer! Just keep in mind, this is not a pleasure sail, this is a "try everything out and assess condition trip". I think taking your "better half" along is an advantage, mine would often hear or think of things that I wasnt focused on... Two heads are better than one... too many distractions and people tripping over each other could be bad though... This is a business trip...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 09:37   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Seven is a lot. But at the least your wife HAS to go as well. Don't learn that lesson the hard way.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 09:38   #13

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Don't forfeit the benefit your better half's ******** detector!
Old 20-10-2009, 10:35   #14

I think a good rule of thumb is that ALL the money people should be on board. Those who will be doing the paying (Usually the Husband & Wife - but sometimes a partnership group) as well as all those getting paid (The current owner, surveyor, & broker if he so chooses). Anyone else I'd consider would be completely up to the current vessel owner. Outside of the above parameters is 100% up to him. Ultimately - His boat, his rules. If his rules on HIS boat are a deal breaker, then on to the next boat.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 10:43   #15

Is there a possibility that some people take their family on "joy rides" under the pretence of being interested to buy? Perhaps the owner is trying to filter them out?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote