Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 15:09   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Salty Dawg Caribbean Rally

Cruisers interested in the fall rally to the Caribbean

https://www.saltydawgsailing.org/car...age-discussion

The informational ZOOM meeting informational is Tuesday 27 July. Follow the link to sign up for the ZOOM. https://sdsa.memberclicks.net/caribb...servId=10635#/

The rally departs usually 01 November from Hampton Virginia but you may depart from another point and terminate your cruise at a point of your choosing. Primary destination is Antigua, WI. Antigua has been welcoming and accommodating to foreign cruisers even through the pandemic.

For detailed information follow the link.

Full disclosure, we are Dawg members since 2016. This is a very good organization for cruisers of all types to get to the eastern Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida or others with assistance from seasoned cruisers and many perks along the way and extended community once you arrive.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 17:45   #2

Re: Salty Dawg Caribbean Rally

We are looking to be part of a group to sail from either Charleston or Chesapeake. We were so excited to be part of the Salty Dawg Rally.

Joined the Salty Dawgs, paid the fee.

Then saw it is a requirement to be fully vaccinated. Due to our own reasons I have elected not to vaccinate. (I DO NOT WANT TO START A DEBATE ON THIS TOPIC, OR DISCUSS THE MANY OPINIONS TO VAX OR NOT VAX.) After deeper research and conversations with the President of the Salty Dawg Rally there is little to back up the position to require vaccinations other than that’s the boards requirement.

Through discussions: At first, it was “the destination requires it.” Verified and communicated that Antigua does not require vax. And simply requires a rapid test upon arrival. Then we were told it was because if we are not vax then we are a liability on the group. My suggestion was to come up with a waiver that we understand our own liabilities and take responsibility for ourselves being non vax. Then I was told that it was a measure of the board wasn’t going to change their position. We would still love to be a part of the SD rally but it’s evident heels are dug in.

So… we are still looking for a group to sail with from Charleston or Chesapeake to NE Caribbean. We are currently looking for others who may be interested in launching around the same time frame (early November) to BVI, Antigua, St Maarten.

Hoping this message either rings with SD members who are up to lobbying SD to allow us to join the rally - OR if there are others looking for the same, we start coordinating together.

We are a 50’ Privilege Serie 5, will have four total crew with experience to meet insurance, looking for camaraderie, learning, teaching, safety, and a good time.

Thank you in advance for reading.

- Coy
SillyCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 09:09   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Being vaccinated against a disease that has killed millions ( including a salty dawg rally member in 2020) prior to doing a 2 week offshore passage without access to medical resources seems very wise to me, I would hope the SDSA doesn’t change their requirements until Covid is much less prevalent.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 14:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AllenRbrts called it pretty correctly. The board at the Dawgs debated the issue regarding the easing of requirements at the islands. Their position is the decision to continue to require vaccination for all those participating in the fall rally to the Caribbean has nothing to do with island requirements and is only about keeping skippers and crew safe at sea. The science shows that the risk of serious illness from covid infection is far less among those who are vaccinated so this decision is clearly a safety issue.

There have been several boats where crew became sick en rout. This was after all tested negative prior to departure. Life aboard was uncomfortable for sure but no serious complications resulted. Seriously sick at sea with two to three weeks to go is a bad situation. Placing crew in jeopardy as well is not a responsible plan.

In my opinion, being seriously sick in third world medical facilities is also poor planning. Even as the island countries relax, staying out of their care facilities is critical to us. Many islands now are quite open but there are still several places that are not. You will not be permitted there unvaccinated. We have also experienced that many island residents do not isolate if they become ill. You will get exposed. This is in fact how our clique of eight got it.
Old 28-07-2022, 16:05   #5

Copy all.

Thank you guys for your concern about my well being. I will buy you guys a beer at the bar in Antigua come November.

---

My post above has attracted attention of a few who have PM'd me on the positive. If you are reading this and would like to buddy boat from Charleston or Chesapeake to NE Caribbean please message me as we are coordinating an independent flotilla to depart in early November.

Thank you again for reading.

- Coy
Old 28-07-2022, 22:37   #6

So you don’t want to debate on vax/not vax but you want to debate on if they ( a private organization) let you go or not not. Ding vax? Interesting
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 02:14   #7

Every island we visited this season asked to view our COVID vax card on or prior to entry. You may be turned away without it. We're currently in Trinidad at Peakes, Nicholson58 is next door at Power Boats, they reviewed our vaccination records before we were allowed ashore. It's understood some don't want to get vaccinated but the burden of not being vaccinated may restrict where you can travel or impose testing and quarantine upon arrival.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 02:55   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can’t see where there is room to debate. The data is clear. If you vaccinate, you may still get COVID but you will probably only get a mild case and you are unlikely to die or wind up in a hospital. Many of the islands have less than three ventilators, some have none. Whatever insurance you have may not cover you and will certainly be difficult at the least. My brother is a medical chief at a Midwest hospital. He says that all ov the COVID deaths at that hospital were unvaccinated. He and all of his staff and family have had it at least once. His doctor daughter got it before vaccinations were available. She had it bad in the first round and has still not fully recovered.

Can you imagine what would have happened in the 50s - and onward if there had been this much resistance to Polio, MMR etc?

Got our second booster in Bequai at the hospital. Free, walk-in. Mind the goats. We will get a third before returning to Power Boats if it becomes available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02CB9E1D-014E-411A-BE2B-072B0221BFA0.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	261803  
Old 29-07-2022, 03:11   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCs View Post

Thank you guys for your concern about my well being.
While I'm concerned about anybody well being, your choice is just that, your choice. However your choice effects others which justifies the Dawgs decisions to only allow vaccinated boats on the Rally. Prior to departure and after arrival, part of the joy of the rally is getting together with fellow boaters. However the science shows that mixing with unvaccinated people increases the risk to vaccinated people of contracting covid. So sorry, I'll hold off on that offer of a beer for awhile.

"We found that the risk of infection was markedly higher among unvaccinated people than among vaccinated people under all mixing assumptions. The contact-adjusted contribution of unvaccinated people to infection risk was disproportionate, with unvaccinated people contributing to infections among those who were vaccinated at a rate higher than would have been expected based on contact numbers alone"

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/194/16/E573
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 07:31   #10

All respectfully noted.

There will be non vaxed at the boat show viewing vessels with you in October, looking at the latest tech in the tents, at cruisers university, on the docks or beaches with you at sun downer parties in Antigua, or may have a tool or knowhow when XYZ breaks and you need a hand. I couldn’t imagine living in fear everywhere I went in the community. But I suppose if I was that fearful I would have a policy to control what I can.

I retract my request about shifting the view of the SDs. While I disagree, I’ll sit back and wait to see if the policy changes at sometime in the future.

And please allow me to apologize for my bringing up the vax policy and it shifting what the OP was originally shooting for, which was to put light on the rally. I have no doubt the SD rally is everything I was hoping to be part of. I have confidence it is made of good people, many I disagree with, and that’s ok.

Thank you all for your feedback.

We will be in Antigua, St Maarten, the VIs, PR, and back through the Bahamas before returning to the US this season. We will only be visiting those countries who have a set of Covid protocols to follow to allow us to be there. Anyone who’s like-minded and interested in a buddy boating system down PM me as you have.

Thanks again.

- Coy
Old 29-07-2022, 08:53   #11

A big risk for the unvaccinated is changing rules. An outbreak may cause an island to require vaccination. It's possible your boat becomes stranded and you return home.

Good luck with your trip.
Old 29-07-2022, 11:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
A big risk for the unvaccinated is changing rules. An outbreak may cause an island to require vaccination. It's possible your boat becomes stranded and you return home.

Good luck with your trip.
Certainly we have already seen this. Leave the island, rules tighten at your destination, changed as you depart after check out, can’t go back. Also, you might not be allowed in restaurants or certain businesses and public buildings.

We left Dominica for Antigua. Antigua hardened rules while we were under way. Dominica closed behind us.

You might be wishing you could stop instead of bypassing an island due to weather but if vax is required you get to stay at sea.

BTW, the 99% of us who are vaccinated will avoid the unvaccinated like plague.
Old 30-07-2022, 03:45   #13

We don't care if someone is vaccinated and don't ask. I've had the vid twice even though I have had two shots and a booster. Figure it's just a part of life now.
Old 30-07-2022, 13:00   #14

Thanks guys.
Old 31-07-2022, 10:37   #15

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Wife and I are going on 12 months since our vax. No boosters since. Are their rules or requirements we should be aware of relative to vax expirations.
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, salt