Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 18:20   #226

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p
Re: Sailor abandons boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The guy is obviously an artist type individual whereas most guys I would say are more engineer/tech type. The old left brain / right brain thing.
I'm sure there are exceptions but from the photos of the guy he looks more like redneck without style rather than artist, lol.

So is Slab Town a colony of artists? I don't know much about it but i wonder where the gallery is?

Old 17-01-2014, 18:29   #227
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Looks pretty 'Abstract' to me...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 19:02   #228
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Just glad he didn't make it to St John's county and have it on our tab. No doubt he'll turn up here on his next boat.
Old 17-01-2014, 19:41   #229
cruiser

Quote:
You [Sailorboy] might want to keep in mind that you can usually gain knowledge from most anyone if he has experiences that you do not.
Thomm,

Well put... and that's the reason why I don't have anyone on my ignore list.

I knew that we'd eventually agree on something.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 23:50   #230

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailor A?bandons Boat off Florida coast

I wonder if that trailer looks just as nice on the inside?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 04:40   #231

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions but from the photos of the guy he looks more like redneck without style rather than artist, lol.

So is Slab Town a colony of artists? I don't know much about it but i wonder where the gallery is?

You can learn more about Slab City from the book Into The Wild which is about Chris Candless. He stayed there for a while. (with Joanna Mason.......another story)

After he graduated from Emory University, he gave the remainder of his college fund (about $25,000) to OXFAM an internationally known Hungar Charity. He then drove his car out west, burned the remained of his cash, abandoned the car, and became a tramp traveling widely from Baja to Alaska.

There are several of these characters featured in the book. One of which tried to live like a Stone Age man in Alaska allowing himself no modern tools etc and he did this for about 10 years. This man's IQ was so high it was off the charts. Another was a mountain climber that accomplished awesome feats. (plus others) All these guys were on the edge but did some pretty amazing things before they died.

Even the Author himself, John Krukauer did some crazy stuff himself before leveling out a bit or maturing.

Gene Rosellini Stone Age, John Waterman Climber, Everett Ruess Nature:

http://www.gradesaver.com/into-the-w...haracter-list/

Chris McCandless Now I Walk Into The Wild | Alexander Supertramp | Christopher McCandless Into the Wild
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 04:45   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thomm,

Ken
Thanks Ken.

Must be my new veggie / fruit diet. Not totally but i'm trying. Plus one of the books says to try and live in harmony with your fellow man and the environment.

Btw the way for the rest of you folks, cancer is killing one in two men these days and "they" say it's mostly due to diet .....................(example: Never Be Sick Again by Raymond Francis)
Old 18-01-2014, 04:52   #233

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailor abandons boat off Florida coast

Quote:
... This man's IQ was so high it was off the charts.
Mine's off the charts too, but not in a good way.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 05:59   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thomm,

Ken
Also, you asked earlier why I was defending Old Jonah with such intensity.

Well, it's because I know an artist type guy that is probably more similar to the very smart but different guys in the book "Into The Wild" than our boy Jonah.

This guy earned an academic scholarship to any college in Florida but decided his calling was music, etc. He has looked as bad as Jonah and as good as Brad Pitt. He's met some beautiful and highly educated ladies also but is still doing his thing.

He can sail a lot better than Jonah though since his first solo sail was at age 13 on a Hobie 16. I battled this guy for about 25 years.

He did play Bourbon Street for a few years and made excellent money, but I think last year's Mardi Gras and Super Bowl about did him in. That and starting the day with jagermeister shots.

So he's backed away from Bourbon Street slowly. Lots of crazy down there also including 75 year old tranvestites.

It's my son. Here he is sober and everything with his rendition of Bruce Springsteen's I'm on fire: (I believe he has a second guitar going in this video)

Old 18-01-2014, 11:01   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Mine's off the charts too, but not in a good way.
Crabby.... 'Tis a rare day when your "one liners" don't make me laugh!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 12:07   #236

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

The "redneck" comments, that sums it up. Not One Of Us. Cheap boat, don't know stirred from shaken, accepting a gift = mooch, anchor drag = abandon.
I don't go south much, but I was in South Carolina in a December, temp in the 40s, whitecaps on most waves, beat fiberglass 25' or 26' sloop rounds the mark into the harbor. The skipper, with one hand for the ship, one for the Yuengling, heads towards another dogleg. After the second turn, another guy, with Yuengling and Braves hat, comes out of the cabin. To make it short, three more Yuengling's come topside as the skipper takes the last turn into the docks, and then luffs it all and into the slip. two Yuenglings hop on the dock and without any words, the thing is secured, sails tied up in a bunch, guys with their twelve-packs head for the trucks. I would have asked about the waters, except none of them had a sailor hat. Felt sorry for the yachts next to them, though.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 12:34   #237

Boat: Skookum 53'

If I have to say anything more than "make it fast". After the 3rd trip, you're fired! You have to pay attention if you want to ride with me. Sacking is too easy, my Father used to give me a clout behind the ear if I didn't step lively on the deck, and if he had to tell me what to do twice, I had better duck! These guys don't like Vino the dog, because he wants potential crew to swing in and help keep the boat ship shape, they really wouldn't like me. I guess it is a good thing, I am not looking for crew.
Old 18-01-2014, 15:44   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
The "redneck" comments, that sums it up. Not One Of Us. Cheap boat, don't know stirred from shaken, accepting a gift = mooch, anchor drag = abandon.
Well to be honest, although I love martini's and could probably tell a stirred from shaken I am a hippy and get the wanderer approach to life.

Here is Oz we have welfare slackers (or housos, a rather amusing TV show) rather than rednecks.

From my experience those who don't work often (or ever in 1 case of a near 40 year old who has never worked !) are about pissing on noon till midnight every day, collecting welfare money for having kids and ignoring said kids. Or indeed as in the case in point above, sending child away to absolutely anyone who would take her as often as possible (5 nights/days a week for a 6 year old) just to piss on. We had her at least 4 nights a fortnight, requiring nit treatment every time for several years, we just couldn't bear the thought of how she must feel being shunted off everywhere, we tried to give her some idea of what a home would feel like. Crap, her room had years of old, too small clothes, broken glass and whatever crap had been been kicked into it from the lounge all over the floor.

I did say there are exceptions, it's just that in reality they are exceptions.

Thomm, you son is one of those exceptions, intelligent who made a life choice and worked at it and i'll make you however many martini's you like if he doesn't back up my sentiments above about the average.
Old 18-01-2014, 19:40   #239

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark
I don't go south much, but I was in South Carolina in a December, temp in the 40s, whitecaps on most waves, beat fiberglass 25' or 26' sloop rounds the mark into the harbor. The skipper, with one hand for the ship, one for the Yuengling, heads towards another dogleg. After the second turn, another guy, with Yuengling and Braves hat, comes out of the cabin. To make it short, three more Yuengling's come topside as the skipper takes the last turn into the docks, and then luffs it all and into the slip. two Yuenglings hop on the dock and without any words, the thing is secured, sails tied up in a bunch, guys with their twelve-packs head for the trucks. I would have asked about the waters, except none of them had a sailor hat. Felt sorry for the yachts next to them, though.
Not sure I understand. Mayah I am too drunk or too redneck but if he sailed it into the slip how is that deragatory?
Old 18-01-2014, 20:37   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Not sure I understand. Mayah I am too drunk or too redneck but if he sailed it into the slip how is that deragatory?
I think he was referring to the fact that they might have been rather noisy neighbours.

Tags
florida, sail