Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2011, 18:27   #1

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft
Sailing Wind

So i am about to buy this sailboat, Talked to the guy im buying it from and im going to have to take a ferry to get to him. Once there im going to attempt to sail the boat back. Again this is a possiblity which im really hoping would come to fruition. The distance is around 20 miles and there is a bunch of islands on the way. I am really excited about the prospect of doing this, planning on leaving the boat in the marina and sleeping in there for the night ... then take her for a few more spins and head home towards the night time(driving).

Was telling this plan to my significant other, she asked me what happens if there is no wind. I mean is this possible ? I ve been reaserching sailing for years now, never thought of that as a possibility. I will be doing this on Lake Huron, the boat does not have a motor either.

I know this attempt is somewhat crazy, i like things to be a little crazy. I, on the other side dont want to be stranded on lake huron without wind.

I guess the main question is, is it possible to not have wind on a major body of water ? (Lake Ontario, Huron, Superior etc). Do you have to wait for the "right wind" to sail ?
Andrei123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing