Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 08:28   #31

Boat: P30
Re: Sailing the Hudson to Long Island Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
O.k. I do this trip almost every year for past 40 years , often alone and haven't been shot at once! Never saw a body either. Have sailed this route both ways W/o any engine as well, but is NOT to be recommended. Harlem river is passable in a power boat, but even if it could be done with your mast up you would be missing one of the most amazing passages that any sailor could undertake, simply not to be missed. Don't be a wuz and truck your boat to move your boat 50 miles (straight line) and miss all those things that you brought the boat for in the first place. Viz: West Point, the Palisades, the incomparable NY skyline ,South St. Seaport, the UN and oh yes Rikers Is. and the Legendary Hells Gate.
Smaarch has it right about all this ,but I prefer to make the turn up the East River 2 hours after low water but when you get to the Battery (beginning of E. river) there is a 3 hr window open for you to have a fine sleigh ride up into LIS w/o trauma.
Houdini is in winter storage now right near Beacon (Whites Marina) and am willing to lend some detailed charts with dozens of anchorages along every step of the way so that you will have many options if things go pear shaped for some reason.

Pm me if I can be of further assistance….if you choose the trucking option …don't ever think of contacting me………there' re just too many interesting people that i have yet to meet on this forum alone.

But ,of course, Best of Luck even if you choose to transport you new baby by dogsled.

……….,,,,luv you all……………….mike…………………………………………………………………………..
yes you are correct. two hours after low is right.
I'm being conservative for the benefit of the OP.
sitting in the Harbor you will know when it's time to head up the East River.
There is no mystery about it. You'll either make way up the East River or you won't.

I've also done this trip every year, and often solo. It's a great ride and the OP should do it.
Likewise if you need any help along the way (a mooring, etc.) shoot me a PM.
NY is one of the great harbors of the world...just figure it out the logistics and do it.
Annapolis doesn't have a thing on NY except for a few pretentious Pric......

Thru the Narrows and Atlantic Highlands is another worthwhile stop....all depends on time
Old 05-03-2014, 08:39   #32

My sincere apologies to the fair people of Annapolis. My comment was pretentious and out of line. I am sorry.

Regrading the safety and security of New York Harbor, I have it on good authority that a crab doesn't fart in the harbor that goes unobserved by the eye in the sky.

Given it's strategic and economic significance, it is probably one of the world's most heavily policed waterways as is evidenced by the presence of multiple law enforcement agencies from two states and the Federal Government including an active military presence.

USCG fast boats with .30 cal machine guns continuously patrol the harbor and the NYPD has air asserts on duty at all times.

New York Harbor is a great place for sailing and is a favored cruising destination for Mega Yachts and mom and pop cruisers alike. Despite the navigational challenges presented by the heavy commercial traffic and tricky currents, it is a wonderfully rewarding place to visit given it's rich history and both geographic and architectural points if interest.

Any cruisers who apply common sense and prudent judgement will find their challenges well within their reach. Believe it or not, the people are actually really nice and like sailors everywhere, anxious to lend a hand where and when required.

They just maybe don't suffers fools so well, but we all have our shortcomings....
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
My sincere apologies to the fair people of Annapolis. My comment was pretentious and out of line. I am sorry.

Regrading the safety and security of New York Harbor, I have it on good authority that a crab doesn't fart in the harbor that goes unobserved by the eye in the sky.

Given it's strategic and economic significance, it is probably one of the world's most heavily policed waterways as is evidenced by the presence of multiple law enforcement agencies from two states and the Federal Government including an active military presence.

USCG fast boats with .30 cal machine guns continuously patrol the harbor and the NYPD has air asserts on duty at all times.

New York Harbor is a great place for sailing and is a favored cruising destination for Mega Yachts and mom and pop cruisers alike. Despite the navigational challenges presented by the heavy commercial traffic and tricky currents, it is a wonderfully rewarding place to visit given it's rich history and both geographic and architectural points if interest.

Any cruisers who apply common sense and prudent judgement will find their challenges well within their reach. Believe it or not, the people are actually really nice and like sailors everywhere, anxious to lend a hand where and when required.

They just maybe don't suffers fools so well, but we all have our shortcomings....
Actually i think they're 50 caliber....up close and personal view....
to the OP respect the security zones off the commercial piers and the Intrepid on the Hudson and the UN on the East River...or you may have the same view...
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55   #34

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
On behalf of the "fair people of Annapolis" (who may actually rise a bit above "fair" to "pretty good"), your apology is accepted.

Actually, I shared your righteous indignation, but couldn't let pass the opportunity to jab you a bit when you slipped a little in the direction of Paul's level.

I love New York -- take great pleasure in walking the streets of that great city day and night -- and look forward to someday taking a coastal cruise up through NY harbor to Long Island Sound. That's why I was interested in this thread in the first place.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55   #35
Marine Service Provider

As I said. .. don't cross delancey... but I accept his apology. He was pretentious and out of line. Now. . Back to helPing the op.

Please
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
As I said. .. don't cross delancey... but I accept his apology. He was pretentious and out of line. Now. . Back to helPing the op.

Please

And your help has been what exactly?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24   #37

Boat: CD25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Put it on a truck.. save money and hassle..... could be five or Six day trip. . Get one out board to work And forget the sECond. ... not an easy trip especially in early spring.
Paul
Sounds like a nice trip to make especially with all the info others are bringing forth if he has the proper time allowing for wind and current.hopefully he has a stern pulpit to hold the spare engine non- ethanol is murder on small carbs.
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson, Long Island, long island sound, sail, sailing