Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 21:38   #16

Re: Sailing the Hudson to Long Island Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
If going dOwn Harlem River.... get bullet pRoof vest and move fast. .....I have done it. ...
Sorry Paul Annapolis,

It is difficult for me to accept this comment as being anything other than conjecture, and as such I would consider it to be explicitly without benefit to the forum at large.

However, since you characterize yourself as a writer/journalist, perhaps you would like to expand on your first hand experience wearing a bullet proof vest while transiting the Harlem River?

This sounds like important info and I am certain many here would appreciate it if you would share your wisdom, myself included.

Personally, my recommendation is that boaters always wear a PFD when on the water.

Additionally I would suggest boaters not adhere to a rushed schedule, but rather take their time and place an emphasis on patient observation of the environment around them.

Cheers,
Delancey
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 22:59   #17

Boat: P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
Not a difficult trip at all if you time the current right in the lower portion of the Hudson and in the East River. Since you will be motoring a lot I would get a cruising guide that lists all fuel stations along the way. Bring an extra jug or two.

Places to pick up a mooring for the night are 79 th St Boat Basin and the mooring field north of North Cove, both in Manhattan. When you get to LIS you can get a free town mooring in Port Washington. Just call the Water Taxi on ch 9.
Plum Gut is then your next tidal challenge if you go to the Forks.

I'd avoid Harlem River unless you are sure your mast clears all the bridges.

The view from the anchorage behind Liberty Island can 't be beat!

Have fun!
Just to note: Mast will not clear bridges on the Harlem. the current is swift and getting the bridges to lift is not generally a task for a sailboat...yeah you can do it...but no one does.. the trip is around the bottom and up the east river.
yes enjoy the trip
Old 04-03-2014, 23:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Sorry Paul Annapolis,

It is difficult for me to accept this comment as being anything other than conjecture, and as such I would consider it to be explicitly without benefit to the forum at large.

However, since you characterize yourself as a writer/journalist, perhaps you would like to expand on your first hand experience wearing a bullet proof vest while transiting the Harlem River?

This sounds like important info and I am certain many here would appreciate it if you would share your wisdom, myself included.

Personally, my recommendation is that boaters always wear a PFD when on the water.

Additionally I would suggest boaters not adhere to a rushed schedule, but rather take their time and place an emphasis on patient observation of the environment around them.

Cheers,
Delancey
I simply ignored it...not worth any angst and NYC will be fine with or without this BS
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaarch View Post
I simply ignored it...not worth any angst and NYC will be fine with or without this BS
You know, in my youth I might have agreed with you and let it slide.

However, being an eyewitness to the murder of three thousand of my friends and neighbors in furtherance of an agenda of religious intolerance and hatred has given me a different outlook on things.

Let's face it, the comment was a racist and bigoted attempt at perpetuating an anachronistic stereotype, one that I am unwilling to let go unanswered.

That crap may play in the sticks but it doesn't go over real big here in NYC. I hope I am not alone in my belief it shouldn't play here on CF.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:05   #20

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailing the Hudson to Long Island Sound

Given the apparent difficulty plus inexperience, the trucking suggestion seems very wise. Plenty of adventure in LIS.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:17   #21

Boat: Tanzer 27

Thank you for the replies. I looked into hauling it and the prices are $800-1000. My thinking is I could put that money towards something the boat needs. Like a new outboard or electronics. I will be having an experienced sailor with me. If I could find a trailer I would move it myself. Have not found anything local that I could purchase or rent. If anyone knows where I could get my hands on one let me know. A new one is very expensive.
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43   #22

I do this trip a lot and find the tide function in OpenCPN very useful. It is a free chart plotter that works with the free NOAA charts. Ideal for planning the trip and calculating your sailing time. PM me if you would like to speak on the phone about your trip.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:21   #23

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by larman View Post
Thank you for the replies. I looked into hauling it and the prices are $800-1000. My thinking is I could put that money towards something the boat needs. Like a new outboard or electronics. I will be having an experienced sailor with me. If I could find a trailer I would move it myself. Have not found anything local that I could purchase or rent. If anyone knows where I could get my hands on one let me know. A new one is very expensive.
Plan the trip carefully and do it! You will learn a lot and have some stories to tell us afterward. Get TowBoatUS or SeaTow before you go.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:08   #24

Boat: Toy boat

Quote:

That crap may play in the sticks but it doesn't go over real big here in NYC. I hope I am not alone in my belief it shouldn't play here on CF.
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-24764...e-gif-7ZQU.gif
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:49   #25
Marine Service Provider

I think youll end up spending close to $1k to do this trip and take five difficult days when you could be sailing in easier Conditions more suited for your boat and experience. I still recommend trucking. You will have to sPend on fuel. . Transportation...Marinas...food... your Time and potential hassles and early spRing can be tough. As i said. .. don't cross delancy....im not in this to argue with him ore anyone else. I hope I have been helpful to the op. As for the harlem river.... let's just drop that. . Shall we? ?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53   #26

Boat: contessa 32

O.k. I do this trip almost every year for past 40 years , often alone and haven't been shot at once! Never saw a body either. Have sailed this route both ways W/o any engine as well, but is NOT to be recommended. Harlem river is passable in a power boat, but even if it could be done with your mast up you would be missing one of the most amazing passages that any sailor could undertake, simply not to be missed. Don't be a wuz and truck your boat to move your boat 50 miles (straight line) and miss all those things that you brought the boat for in the first place. Viz: West Point, the Palisades, the incomparable NY skyline ,South St. Seaport, the UN and oh yes Rikers Is. and the Legendary Hells Gate.
Smaarch has it right about all this ,but I prefer to make the turn up the East River 2 hours after low water but when you get to the Battery (beginning of E. river) there is a 3 hr window open for you to have a fine sleigh ride up into LIS w/o trauma.
Houdini is in winter storage now right near Beacon (Whites Marina) and am willing to lend some detailed charts with dozens of anchorages along every step of the way so that you will have many options if things go pear shaped for some reason.

Pm me if I can be of further assistance….if you choose the trucking option …don't ever think of contacting me………there' re just too many interesting people that i have yet to meet on this forum alone.

But ,of course, Best of Luck even if you choose to transport you new baby by dogsled.

……….,,,,luv you all……………….mike…………………………………………………………………………..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:29   #27

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
I think youll end up spending close to $1k to do this trip and take five difficult days when you could be sailing in easier Conditions more suited for your boat and experience. I still recommend trucking. You will have to sPend on fuel. . Transportation...Marinas...food... your Time and potential hassles and early spRing can be tough. As i said. .. don't cross delancy....im not in this to argue with him ore anyone else. I hope I have been helpful to the op. As for the harlem river.... let's just drop that. . Shall we? ?
1K, not even close, and more poor advise. I have done the exact trip you are contemplating around eight times in a 24' gaff rigged boat with a 10 horse motor. Leaving from Haverstraw to Oyster bay the trip took us around 13hours and that was with a fair amount of sailing. I never go to marinas and always anchor out, had top shelf food and goodies, steaks, cigars and beer and spent a couple of hundred for three day weekends. On the way out we usually would anchor and complete the run the following day, on return would always make the trip in one day.

A wonderful trip, just pick a good weather window, no storms or rain and as mentioned get a copy of the Eldridge Guide and play close attention to trying to keep the rivers tide with you as much as possible and hitting Hells Gate close to or near slack tide, enjoy.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:56   #28

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
I don't mind that delancey wants to insult me but it's not helpful to this forum. A boat Ride in the Harlem River is interesTing. . To say the least. However my comment about crime should not be so lightly dismissed. A reference to a Wikipedia article on ny crime is of little relevance and a p.r. plug for ny police and uscg had about no relevance to my comments. Readers will draw their own conclusions but hopefully Mr Delancey will refrain from any more negative comments. We certainly don't want to cross delancey do we?
So... it's OK for you to insult the entire population of a city, but it's not OK for Delancey to call you on it?

These days, there is probably no safer major city in the US than the Big Apple.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:04   #29

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:

I'm not gonna let YOUR prejudices slide, either, Delancey.

Annapolis ISN'T "the sticks." It's a very sophisticated town in the middle of a major metropolitan area in which MOST of the residents have enlightened social attitudes.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:12   #30

Quote:
You know, in my youth I might have agreed with you and let it slide.

However, being an eyewitness to the murder of three thousand of my friends and neighbors in furtherance of an agenda of religious intolerance and hatred has given me a different outlook on things.

Let's face it, the comment was a racist and bigoted attempt at perpetuating an anachronistic stereotype, one that I am unwilling to let go unanswered.

No you are not alone and i was also here walking on the smoldering rubble.
Peace and fair winds...we'll see you in the harbor.

Tags
Hudson, Long Island, long island sound, sail, sailing