Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 16:01   #1

sailing in kauai?

hi all,

I am a SF Bay sailor who will be vacationing on kauai HI mid may. While I would love to simply sail there in my own boat, that is not an option at the moment.

It seems there are next to zero bareboat charters in all of HI, much less on kauai.

Any suggestions? Some kind soul want to lend/rent me their boat? I am just looking for 1 or 2 days of daysailing only, just to show my family a bit of the island from the water's perspective.

Looks like we will be staying on the north shore, but would be willing to travel.

Mahalo

nbourbaki
nbourbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 16:22   #2

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: sailing in kauai?

There is a very active and friendly yacht club in Nawiliwili harbor, contact them and you might get a ride with somebody.
Nawiliwili is southshore, just below Lihue; where the main airport is, look for it when you land.
I doubt anyone is going to loan or rent the use of their boat though, Kauai, and the rest of Hawai'i, are difficult (read dangerous) cruising grounds (and expensive), hence the paucity of what you are looking for. You can probably find some daysail beachcats almost anywhere though .
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 17:06   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
There is a very active and friendly yacht club in Nawiliwili harbor, contact them and you might get a ride with somebody.
Nawiliwili is southshore, just below Lihue; where the main airport is, look for it when you land.
I doubt anyone is going to loan or rent the use of their boat though, Kauai, and the rest of Hawai'i, are difficult (read dangerous) cruising grounds (and expensive), hence the paucity of what you are looking for. You can probably find some daysail beachcats almost anywhere though .
This is good information from Tx J. If you are staying on the north shore (Princeville maybe?) then there will be no opportunity there. As said, unless you hook up with someone in Nawiliwili this might be a no sailiing vacation. Kayak rentals can be fun and there are several there.

Have a great Hawaiian vacation.
Old 18-03-2014, 10:19   #4

thanks for those suggestions, even if a little sad. I will poke around the yacht club and craigslist, see what I can find.

I never actually sailed a beach cat type boat. Would kauai be a reasonable place for a monohull sailor to give it a go?

cheers,
Old 18-03-2014, 10:23   #5

I took windsurfer lessons in Nawilliwilli Harbor in 1984. Lotsa fun, gets you out on the water and you learn something new. Pretty light winds, so the techniques were absolutely useless when I returned to SF Bay!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 10:27   #6

oh good idea!

I have been meaning to try that or kite surfing. perhaps I should start here in the bay to get over that learning curve before I arrive there.

btw stu, I see you are in Oakland, as am I. Where do you sail out of?
Old 18-03-2014, 11:12   #7

Grand Marina
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 13:16   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
thanks for those suggestions, even if a little sad. I will poke around the yacht club and craigslist, see what I can find.

I never actually sailed a beach cat type boat. Would kauai be a reasonable place for a monohull sailor to give it a go?

cheers,
Yes, it would. Hobies are fun even though it may not be exactly what you had in mind. And you are right about it being sad! Such a beautiful place to sail with very little opportunities because of the state controlled harbors and silly rules.

I forgot to mention that Hanalei was the best anchorage I ever experienced when cruising the islands. The natural beauty will knock your socks off. And, kayaking the Hanalei River would be a great thing to do to pass the time.

Tags
kauai, sail, sailing