Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 16:22   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter
Re: Sailboat Recommendations for Family of 4

I Capt Hack would say start on something like Yacht World and look at ads. They have pic and layouts of different boats . Find something you like ,google reviews. Pic a length say 30' to 50' ,price range . Show the boss (she does have the last word you know) Look and storage,berths heads galley ease of movement. It doesn't coast a thing and can be fun, Look at cats and monos. You will get a lot of info you can understand about wants and needs . good luck in all you do.
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:32   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One man's claustrophobic is another's "cozy", and safe. A true ocean monohull needs to have hand holds. Ours is actually a finger rail that runs the length of the main cabin, plus there are other things to grab. We use the word bouncy to describe rapid sea motion, and the ocean is frequently that way. This is not "bad weather", but the nature of salt water with ocean currents, and swells running from multiple directions.

The OP will have to learn what kinds of motion his and his wife's bodies tolerate best; that could answer the cat vs. monohull question for him, just by itself.

Imho, until she has spent time on a boat, in a seaway, his wife will not be able to put sound input into the issue of what boat would be best, her choice will be more likely to be what looks most like an apartment. She will look at light, utility at sea will go unrecognized. She doesn't know what she doesn't know, it 's not a failing, but one of the couple really needs to spend a lot of time sailing. There's no particular reason to make the assumption that this man's wife will LIKE it, and for them to be successful cruisers, it is essential that she participate whole heartedly. After all, during her watch, she holds all your lives in her hands.

Go sailing, buy the smallest boat that will meet your space criteria, and make it seaworthy. There are some here who do not recommend liner built boats. There are sound reasons for this prejudice, and so, you need to start learning what failures to expect with which models of boats.

There's a thread you will want to pay attention to, "Marine Survey 101."

Good luck with it.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:32   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Buy for the woman and kids. You just get to work the ship--with her help. She does almost everything else--and it is a lot harder for her at sea to do it than on land.

MY choice would be a catamaran, because of the extra space in the saloon where most of the shipboard life takes place when at sea.

My wife and I sailed a trimaran. VERY comfortable vessel, 42 feet long and sailed on the slightest of breezes--we were long gone before most monos had enough wind to start after us--and we reached anchorages with ample time to spare.

A tri is not suitable for two kids as well though--although at a pinch it could have been managed--but ease of housekeeping is a big factor. Washing for two we could do easily by hand in a couple of buckets. Washing for four is a different matter. You need SPACE aboard--with room to move, and room to move in bad weather when on the hook and it is raining heavily is a big factor in family comfort. It is not all sunny skies and calm seas.

Taylor your choices to the wife--and fit in your requirements if and where you can.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:54   #19

Boat: Scout 30

If you're looking for a "newer" 42-45' Lagoon, which is really big for a first boat, for under $350K you may be out of luck. Of course that depends on what you mean by newer. If you mean 10 years or less I think a 38 may be the best you can hope for. However, if you'll consider 10-15 years old you can save a lot of money on a bigger boat provided the boat is in really good shape. If it's not don't buy it. Remember, cats have much more room than similar length monohulls. The 380 has as much room as a lot of 50 footers.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 03:20   #20

Boat: in the works

I think the best thing you can do is buy a multi day pass to the Annapolis boat show. Day one; don't talk to any sales people! Go on the boats, see what they offer, bring a note pad and take notes. Grab brochures. Take pictures and video with your phone. Take your time.
That eve try to narrow down the choices... it may be hard to do! Then on day two, talk to the reps. Ask all the questions you can. Good luck!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 07:10   #21

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Charter first . Bahamas or British virgin islands. Moorings or the like. Time on the water with your family will tell you what works.
Like buying a car Drive it first . ! in case of a boat sail , sleep , shower clean it ! see what you like and what you say no way too !
Winches regular or self tailing. Take a couple of years, a trip charter a year. A week at a time . watch storm season ! lee / fla
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:23   #22

Plenty of ready to go boats
right here in the boat classifieds.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 11:59   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
cats have much more room than similar length monohulls. The 380 has as much room as a lot of 50 footers.
Not the best metric in my opinion. Compare by purchase and maintenance cost and the monohull will always win. For example a Beneteau 49’ like mine has more space than a Lagoon 380, is faster, has a better payload, points higher, and costs 25% less to purchase, and costs less in maintenance and probably marina fees.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:57   #24

wow! you are wanting to go cruising with your family and you have the cash ... lucky guy. And the folks here at CW have made a lot of good suggestion and they have a good deal of knowledge. But they have acquired all this knowledge (most of them) from years of experience. And everyone will tell you cruising/sailing is a way of life which is a big difference from , say , a vacation. I'm sure you are probably aware of this fact as well but actually moving to that way of life in such as short period of time with little experience or know how might be just a pit overwhelming,

Now, I'm not saying don't do it , by all means ... there are plenty of stories of families that have and say it was the greatest best thing they ever did as a family. But you must know that every single day is about the boat: there are no days off. The list is long (unless you pay crew). The amount of information these sailors have is mind boggling. But of course for long time sailors it all becomes second nature and it will for you too in time. The folks here think nothing of it ... it's just what they do ... EV ERY DAY. And they love it ...it's there life. For fulltime cruisers The boat is there life (well,not all of it, 90%lol) but they wouldn't have it any other way: because when it comes right down to it , their very life depends upon it literally.

So deciding what vessel you would like is the least of your concerns at this point. You and your wife need to immerse yourselves in learning everything there is to know about cruising from how boats are constructed to ALL the operating equipment (plumbing, electrical, engine ...etc etc that's a life time in and of itself), systems, radio, navigation by charts before electronics , sails, rigging, anchors, weather, currents, water and on and on ... oh and how to sail/pilot a vessel under many circumstances. And you need to do this everyday week in and week out at least an hour a day for a year and you might get a small idea what it is to live the life on a boat as a cruiser ... remember there are no days off. If you think because you are at anchor you can forget about everything you are sorely mistaken. Oh for sure you can kick back from sailing/piloting and it will feel great but you are never really off watch.

So after a year of the two of you eating/digesting everything you can and getting out in a sailboat at least twice a month every month cold or not, rain or shine whether you want to or not (and especially if it is costing you money) and you still love it ,,, you will know what you want in a vessel or at least what you don't want.

PS. Boat shows are not the best place to evaluate boats but they're fun to go to because they usually have some boats you otherwise would never have access to.

PSS. If you would like an instructor for all the above mention and more I have reasonable rates
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 22:36   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch

[QUOTE=DavidJH;2653303]My wife and I are fairly new to sailing, but we are contemplating possibly spending a few months (or years) at sea if we sell our company next year. We plan on chartering a boat or two, as well as attending the Annapolis sail boat show this year, but I thought it might be a good idea to get some good feedback on what to builders/models to look at before we go. \

There are so many differences in boats and the people on them, that while you gain a lot of info in raising a question like this, you must do more hands on exploring to really know what fits your family best. I have had my IOR design boat since 1983, lived on it and sailed it extensively since 1996. Lots of water has gone under her keel. But, I would not implore anyone to follow our path.
Go to the boat shows, and decide what kind of layout and accomodations suit you. But beware. Some of the very best boats for living aboard in a marina, are not even safe once you exit the bar.
Join a yacht club and crew on the club races. You will learn more about sail trim racing than in any other forum, but also learn what stupid things people will do in competition such as how to break perfectly good rigging parts. Great race boats are not good cruising boats but the lessons in how to make best with the sails is exquisite.
Take every opportunity to visit the docks, and accept every possible invitation to day sail on someone's boat that you can.
The more you can experience a variety of boats the better.
Rent a boat for a couple weeks in the San Juans of Washington (Mild seas, fluky winds, fun little ports); the Carribean (predictable good winds, generally moderate seas, Fun, but very expensive ports). Pacific side of Central America (wonderful small low key harbors, inexpensive, low traffic, many non-US boats!!!) Our favorite.

You will have as much fun figuring out what you want of a boat as you will having it.

As a general rule, cats are more family friendly, and sail very well down wind and in mild or moderate conditions, lots more useable room. Monohulls are better at strong conditions, upwind, and less expensive in marinas.

You will have a wonderful time. Good Luck!!
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 23:06   #26

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch

Ok! Barbara, my wife, told me to add a few specific comments that we have had banged into our heads.
Spacious open design salons are nice in port or on anchor, but truly a nightmare in a rough sea. In looking at a boat, determine where you will grab on below and above, when the boat is lurching in a sea.
Accessibility to the most likely spots needed for maintenance or minor repair at sea is important. Can you tighten the alternator belt or add oil/water without major effort in a rough sea?
Trip hazards on deck. There will be some in every boat, but you want the minimum.
Stowage which can be organized. So that in the likely event of a need for something in an emergency at 0300 you can find and use what you need. Lots of compartments of varying sizes is best.
Excellent sound system.
Good cup holders at the helm.
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 06:33   #27

Boat: Beneteau

I'm alway impressed by how these threads start but essentially they all will denigrate into what the writer of the post wants. So given that here's my main reason for owning a monohull. I've operated an 80 ton travelift for about 25 years and there isn't any acceptable cat that will fit into the thing. Well that and having grown up in monos has led to the ability to stand up unassisted in most weather conditions. The other deterrent related to the above mentioned is that the bigger the lift in this neck of the woods the more it will cost to be hauled per foot. A friend who had sold his Dehler for a Crowther learned this when he was informed by me that I could no longer lift his boat and the cost of haulout suddenly more than tripled. This is also ignoring the fact that he had to drive for four hours or more to get to his boat and didn't have the additional help around while doing things like taking down the mast and the like.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 07:40   #28

First off, thank you everyone for all the great advice. I'm not responding to every comment, but I am reading everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Birder View Post
Now, I'm not saying don't do it , by all means ... there are plenty of stories of families that have and say it was the greatest best thing they ever did as a family. But you must know that every single day is about the boat: there are no days off. The list is long (unless you pay crew). The amount of information these sailors have is mind boggling. But of course for long time sailors it all becomes second nature and it will for you too in time. The folks here think nothing of it ... it's just what they do ... EV ERY DAY. And they love it ...it's there life. For fulltime cruisers The boat is there life (well,not all of it, 90%lol) but they wouldn't have it any other way: because when it comes right down to it , their very life depends upon it literally.

So deciding what vessel you would like is the least of your concerns at this point. You and your wife need to immerse yourselves in learning everything there is to know about cruising from how boats are constructed to ALL the operating equipment (plumbing, electrical, engine ...etc etc that's a life time in and of itself), systems, radio, navigation by charts before electronics , sails, rigging, anchors, weather, currents, water and on and on ... oh and how to sail/pilot a vessel under many circumstances. And you need to do this everyday week in and week out at least an hour a day for a year and you might get a small idea what it is to live the life on a boat as a cruiser ... remember there are no days off. If you think because you are at anchor you can forget about everything you are sorely mistaken. Oh for sure you can kick back from sailing/piloting and it will feel great but you are never really off watch.
Yes, one thing I guess I could have mentioned is that we are getting a lot of certifications through ASA. 101 and 103 complete and 104 and 114 should be done soon. I figured that if we do end up buying a boat, it would be nice to find an instructor to tech on our boat up through offshore passage making. Education and safety are not something I take lightly, and I know a large boat is a lot of work. Thanks!
DavidJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 13:23   #29

Glad to hear you're taking the courses ... it does speed-up the learning curve and maybe someone else has already suggested it but I'll mention it just in case.
So not sure of your situation but a good idea is to get your kids into dinghy sailing actually yourself as well. I put my kids into the program at my yacht club whether they wanted to or not. They start them at six years in Sabots (probably the largest one design fleet in the world) two to a boat at that size. Outside of actually sailing the boat they provide lots of information about being on the water (safety etc. what to do, not to do and more) this builds confidence but more importantly respect and humbleness. It will show that accomplishment only comes from trying over and over again and that they are not "special" but cared for. One of many challenges in the program I thought was essential for a child who is going to spend a great deal of time on the water was purposed capsizing and what to do (practiced a number of times). Yes the kids are young but this is necessary. I began boating (canoes) when I was seven on a lake and the practice was standard, not sure if it still is but it should be and it was with my kids not so long ago (20yrs). And my kids had to do it in the freezing Pacific waters (even better). They learned very quickly what to do and what not to do. Water temperatures at around 50 degrees have a compelling incentive to pay attention, listen and follow instructions. The sooner done the quicker you're out of the water. You'd think the kids wouldn't like this and of course it was very cold but they all don't seem to mind and some thought it was fun.

In addition, it can be said that dinghy sailors are the best sailors. The fundamentals are essential and when built upon will enable you to sail anywhere in the world like the Pardey's without engine. As a long time sailor (dinghies to 50' racing boats) I feel good that I can sail on and off a dock or and anchorage (I most often do) without a sound. Nothing worse than the guy next to you starting up his motor at an anchorage while you're enjoying your morning coffee in what was peace and quiet because he doesn't know how to sail off his anchor in a perfectly good breeze. But then again I'm being somewhat of a purist sailing snub ... you should know that we are out there. Although the likely hood of running into us out there in the world these days is diminishing so don't pay to much attention about that.

I think you should buy a 420 dinghy and the trailer or maybe something similar the whole family can practice on: learn how to sail backwards, man-over-board, capsizing, learn how to fly a chute, getting hit in the head with the boom ... all that fun stuff. And when you do buy that big boat, make sure you get a sailing dinghy for the kids so they can sail over to there friends on the neighbouring family boat. Do not let your children helm a motor dinghy until they are twelve. If they want to go somewhere they can sail or row (ps learn to row, it is essential). There's nothing worse than being that someone, when your engine fails, who doesn't know how to row. Your fellow sailors (true sailors) will have no sympathy for you and will not come to your rescue, if you are a man. And regardless of the women's liberation/movement this law does not apply. And if you are woman and you are offended by this law, I have no suggestions.

Be safe, safety first
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:08   #30

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

I have owned boats for over 40 years. It is not as cut and dry as most people would like to suggest. Here is 40 years of experience. First you have to consider the optimal goal. are you always going to be a coastal sailor ? Or will you want to eventually go blue water, long distance ? What level of comfort do you need ? full home comfort, mid range or rough it? How will you use it ? if coastal cruising only for the next 2 or 3 years, then buy local. But if hoping for warm water and exotic places, then I would suggest not buying in Vancouver. I lived in Vancouver for over 30 years, and I find the boat there, under equipped, over priced and too small. My moorage fee in Vancouver for a 42 footer was about $1,200.00 a month. I bought My present boat (a 43 Irwin) in Curacao 1/2 the price of anything similar in Vancouver, and full load (electronics, wind and solar, water maker etc....) I keep it in Guatemala (RioDulce) for $250.00 a month with full service (Cable, water, boat care while gone etc....) So compare to Vancouver moorage fpr a boat the same size is $24,000 versus about $3,000 so the difference is plenty of money for plane tickets. Unless you want to sail it year around on week-ends. But if twice a year a month at a time. It would be something to consider. You will never trade up on a boat, that is impossible. better to buy the right boat first. There is always repair and up-grades to do on a "new to you" boat, there is constant maintenance, and then there is the selling. It can be hard to sell a boat, lots of (tire kicker) out there, but few buyers. If you want to talk more about it. Just send Me a personal e-mail (mrjfortin@yahoo.com) I help people make the right choice, don't charge money since I am not a broker. Just advice's. Remember, broker only have one thing in mind their COMMISSION. Not you.
Now I know people are afraid of the unknown. But over seas buying can be safe and secure if done properly. Guatemala has a strong boater community and if curious just go to (http://riodulcechisme.com) to see what the area has to offer. It is a boater for boater web site to help people locate services in the area.
Belize is a day sail, with 1st class diving and and snorkeling. And Roatan is 22 hours away sailing with even better diving and snorkeling and even cheaper than Belize. Mexico is even in reach if you have more time on your hands.

Good luck and fair wind.

J-M Fortin
Capt(ret) S/V Ete Infini.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, family, men, sail, sailboat