Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 09:38   #16

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Re: Ryobi vs Yamaha vs Honda 2000 watt

Just to help with the confusion, look at these.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....sL._SY355_.jpg

wind turbine inverter solar pannels charge controler generators

I did try to post the images but failed.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:39   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Yup, i did go to google search. I have gone to each web page and looked at the specs of each generator. Believe it or not...it looks like the best bang for the buck is the Ryobi Bluetooth 2300w. Lots of reports from Puerto Rico of people using them 18 hours a day for months and no problems. The Honda is around 1000-1200 dollars, and the Ryobi and Yamaha similar in price at around 600 dollars.

So, fellas, i had a Honda Acura, and i have Honda lawnmower, so u know i love Hondas. But what ya think about the Ryobi or Yamaha gens. I already know the Honda is the gold standard. But if the other ones have the same gas consumption, the same decibel rating, 3 yr warranty....is it worth paying almost 70% more for the same product?

Please don't waste your time telling me how good the Honda is. I know it is excellent. I want feedback about reliability of the other two products in real world time usage.
Generac also makes one. I've got one never even put oil in it. It's for keeping from having to throw food out or drink warm beer in the event of a hurricane. So I can't comment on it. However I believe if it was for a regular duty cycle, I'd spring for the cost of Honda. Then again maybe two for the price of one, one for standby or having the 4000W,or so, capability JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:10   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Islandhopper Where did you get the new Honda EU2200I? I thought they weren't going to be available till mid March. Anybody have a source that is in stock?

Thanks
Marc
Marc_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:16   #19

Boat: Scout 30

I recently bought the Honda 2000 companion model because you can plug your 30 amp shore power cord into it. I did have an issue with it though. The third time I ran it it was running rough. I let it run anyway hoping it would settle down. However, when I came back to it it was leaking gas badly. I took it to the dealer & he said the float was stuck due to something in the new non-ethanol fuel that was so small he could not see it which I thought was strange. Anyway, when I got it back it I cleaned the tank well & got some new fuel & it ran great. I think the key with these small motors is to drain the carburetors & all of the fuel out of the tank if it's not going to be used for a long time. If it's going to be stored with gas in it use non-ethanol fuel & Stabil. The label on mine says it was built in Thailand.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 11:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_H View Post
Islandhopper Where did you get the new Honda EU2200I? I thought they weren't going to be available till mid March. Anybody have a source that is in stock?

Thanks
Marc
Got it from here but have seen them available at a number of places for a while now, got mine about 3 weeks ago....

https://www.generatorplace.com.au/sh...egory=15799901

Also....

https://www.generatorstore.com.au/ge...SABEgJTZfD_BwE

...and this vid from the place i got mine was put up in December 17...

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 11:20   #21

Boat: CA 34

We've had a Ryobi 2200 for over five years of trouble free use. Runs our 20GPH watermaker finestkind.

Before that we went through two Hondas in a six year timespan so the Ryobi has the advantage on the longevity and cost front.

Looking forward to upgrading to the Ryobi Bluetooth model as soon as they get them in stock in the USVI.
Old 21-02-2018, 12:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
The Yamaha won't start a CruiseRO or a Rainman watermaker, the Honda will. Thats a fact.

Also.. You really need to shop around. A Honda 2000 can be purchased for $700-$800 if you shop.
I'm in the market....where have you seen them for 7-800 bucks?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 12:52   #23

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I'm in the market....where have you seen them for 7-800 bucks?
Are you in the market for a watermaker as well? If so, lookup Seatask in Florida. They sold me mine with my watermaker for about that price (Great Company).

Another option is Rich at CruiseRO if you are in the market for one of those. He will hook you up.

If not in the market for a watermaker. Then I suggest Googlefoo and good old fashioned telephone calls. You will find one for that price. It just takes a little work.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 14:32   #24

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I have a Ryobi, 2000 watt for over a year it had a hard life still like new in performance. I also just installed a sterling marine battery Charger 60Ah model. As I write my comment, it is overcast so this is a test run to use the Smart marine charger as both are hard at work charging my battery bank 500 Ah at 20 Ah and my computer through 600-watt boat off the self-inverter run from my 12-volt house bank.

I have no complaint’s the Ryobi has been wonderful as I used it extensively to refurbish the deck anti slip and failed paint work on my boat (She is Aluminum) with sanders grinders and whatnot tools over the year I have owned it.

I understand that the Ryobi is heavier than the Honda 2000 watt unit, does this mean that it is possibly the Ryobi maybe more robust and better build, I have no way of telling. But after a year of heavy use I would purchase another Ryobi again; this one I bought on eBay it only had a few hours on it for a failed camping trip, for AUD 300.

Now the Ryobi is performing a new task along with the new Sterling battery smart charger both doing a wonderful job as the solar panels are not productive in overcast days.

Out of interest, I could not find a box big enough to keep the Ryobi out of the elements on deck. (to bulky to take out on deck all the time when moored. So I bought a plastic dog house as was suggested on this cruiser forum this site, what a great idea - it comes apart horizontally in the center. It is now sitting in the cockpit working away with the roof off.

Summery; Either way, Ryobi or Honda, my advice is not the product both are good performers so I would go for the best deal, with either one you will not be unhappy. I have had no experience with Yamaha.

PS. Most known brands are now manufactured in China; Even Trump thought balloons on making America Great again couldn’t change that!
Keep in mind - The main difference is that both Honda Ryobi are manufactured under Japanese Quality control in China, whereas Chinese made copies are manufactured under questionable Chinese standards.

Happy trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Yup, i did go to google search. I have gone to each web page and looked at the specs of each generator. Believe it or not...it looks like the best bang for the buck is the Ryobi Bluetooth 2300w. Lots of reports from Puerto Rico of people using them 18 hours a day for months and no problems. The Honda is around 1000-1200 dollars, and the Ryobi and Yamaha similar in price at around 600 dollars.

So, fellas, i had a Honda Acura, and i have Honda lawnmower, so u know i love Hondas. But what ya think about the Ryobi or Yamaha gens. I already know the Honda is the gold standard. But if the other ones have the same gas consumption, the same decibel rating, 3 yr warranty....is it worth paying almost 70% more for the same product?

Please don't waste your time telling me how good the Honda is. I know it is excellent. I want feedback about reliability of the other two products in real world time usage.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 14:44   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I have a Ryobi, 2000 watt for over a year it had a hard life still like new in performance. I also just installed a sterling marine battery Charger 60Ah model. As I write my comment, it is overcast so this is a test run to use the Smart marine charger as both are hard at work charging my battery bank 500 Ah at 20 Ah and my computer through 600-watt boat off the self-inverter run from my 12-volt house bank.

I have no complaint’s the Ryobi has been wonderful as I used it extensively to refurbish the deck anti slip and failed paint work on my boat (She is Aluminum) with sanders grinders and whatnot tools over the year I have owned it.

I understand that the Ryobi is heavier than the Honda 2000 watt unit, does this mean that it is possibly the Ryobi maybe more robust and better build, I have no way of telling. But after a year of heavy use I would purchase another Ryobi again; this one I bought on eBay it only had a few hours on it for a failed camping trip, for AUD 300.

Now the Ryobi is performing a new task along with the new Sterling battery smart charger both doing a wonderful job as the solar panels are not productive in overcast days.

Out of interest, I could not find a box big enough to keep the Ryobi out of the elements on deck. (to bulky to take out on deck all the time when moored. So I bought a plastic dog house as was suggested on this cruiser forum this site, what a great idea - it comes apart horizontally in the center. It is now sitting in the cockpit working away with the roof off.

Summery; Either way, Ryobi or Honda, my advice is not the product both are good performers so I would go for the best deal, with either one you will not be unhappy. I have had no experience with Yamaha.

PS. Most known brands are now manufactured in China; Even Trump thought balloons on making America Great again couldn’t change that!
Keep in mind - The main difference is that both Honda Ryobi are manufactured under Japanese Quality control in China, whereas Chinese made copies are manufactured under questionable Chinese standards.

Happy trails.
I was thinking of dog house, Thanks!. Which one did you get and how did you need to modify it?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 15:26   #26

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I was thinking of dog house, Thanks!. Which one did you get and how did you need to modify it?
No modeficatin required, but I do use a barbeque cover to bag the Ryobi inside the doghouse when not in use. Attached are some photos of it working now you will see the roof is to one side and the generator is at work. I bought mine in Bunnings large (hardware outlet) Sydney Australia for $50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryobi Gen inDog house.  (10).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	164581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryobi Gen inDog house.  (9).jpg
Views:	256
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	164582  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryobi Gen inDog house.  (8).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	164583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryobi Gen inDog house.  (4).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	164584  

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 15:45   #27

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Yes, I have seen the Honda eu22i in the shops here too. With the upgraded model and capacity maybe the answer for the original poster becomes even easier: Honda.

I have had a 2000 Watt Kipur for 15 years, bought it then 2nd hand, never failed, but again must say has less then 100 hours on it. Used it on my previous boat for the large 2000 w mitre saw, no problems with that.
The last 6 years it is sitting in the shed, and I start it monthly, that is if I remember to do that....
Old 21-02-2018, 21:30   #28

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Ok then i won't waste mine or your time saying I've just purchased a new Honda EU22i, which has superseded the old reliable EU20i, we've had the EU20i for 6 years and it has now gone on to permanent off-road camping duties with the new model taking over the boat duties, but i certainly won't waste both of ours time telling how great i think the new model is

Never even contemplated the other two, sorry, hopefully others will chime in
ha ha...you couldn't resist throwing that in...now could u? It's cool. I love Hondas also. But i tell ya...funny things happen when other companies want a piece of the pie and they start building the same mouse trap with other features that outfeature yours. Did you know the Ryobi has the APP that allows you to monitor what is left in your fuel tank, how many hours left to run, what amp output is right on your phone. Don't even have to get out of your bunk. People in Puerto Rico are using them extremely hard to run refridges, TV, and electrical for 18 hours a day for over 6 months...every day. They swear by them also. So, just saying...eventually the best mouse trap on the planet is made in the same factories and rebranded as Honda etc etc..
I ain't knocking Honda. I have a Honda Lawnmower that hasn't required a penny since 2005 other than fresh engine oil and a blade here and there. Starts first pull every time.

But if i can buy the same mousetrap with better features and i can get the word from real world users like i just got here...and people using them hard (Puerto Rico) and i can save some jing....why not?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 21:39   #29

Cadence and SoItGoes, thanks mates...what i wanted to hear and suspected would be true. I haven't heard Yamaha been to good. I will make sure i use fuel stabilizer and run her dry. Do that with the outboards also.
Old 21-02-2018, 21:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Bear in mind that the EU20i is a 1600w generator with peaks of 2kw. also I think the inverter in the Honda is pure sine wave. I don't know about the other two.
The Ryobi is a 2300 watt generator and 1800 watt load. Also has wheels and a telescopic handle to move her back and forth off of the boat. It is bluetooth enabled so can monitor from iPhone while in the bunk for lazy arses like me. Three year warranty. Weighs 53 lbs and 57 dB rated. IMO i think it is a strong competitor to the Honda for a lot less money. If you know anything about Puerto Ricans...they are not faint to give you an opinion. They are touting this machine after the terrible hurricane left their island powerless for how many months? Eighteen hours a day ...day in ...day out...for how many months and these suckers are plinking on without a hiccup...on my boat I doubt if i will run one more than a couple of hours a week.

Tags
honda