Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 15:28   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Converting a Ryobi 2000 Watt Generator.

I need some helpful advice on generating power on cloudy, rainy weeks. For now, I run the main engine to recharge the batteries, which is not healthy for the engine as it is not under load.

Background;

Last four weeks my solar panels 420 Watts have not been up to the task of keeping my 500 amp AGM batteries topped up, as it has been overcast, with rain.

I have a perfectly good 2000 watt Ryobi Generator that I can't use in these weather conditions. (You can only use it on dry days on the deck) and there has not been any of these sunny days in the last four weeks.

Question; is there a way to change the nature of this generator from portable to fixed interior installation, for use in any weather, I know this would entail a way of removing the fumes? Or is there a weather proof box in which I could run it in all weather on deck?

I would like to avoid installing a marine generator if possible, If I'm not able to find a solution for adopting my Ryobi generator then in the worst case I may consider installing a small diesel say 10 hp to 15 hp to run high output alternators.

Any experienced insight on finding a solution would be most helpful, as I live and work on my boat full time.

Many Thanks for considering my request for a solution. Kryg.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 15:34   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Converting a Ryobi 2000 Watt Generator.

Combination of wood and textile does the job. It is called umbrella by non sailors
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:18   #3

I kid you not, there's an elderly couple anchored up the river from us with one of these (similar) on deck, works like a charm with their Honda genny and it’s been raining up here non-stop for a week or so. Obviously only a temp solution in your case, but these guys don’t sail much and pretty much spend all their time in the same spot, they’ve had this set up for quite a while now….
https://www.bunnings.com.au/fido-fle...-home_p3440221
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:33   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

DO NOT TRY AND BUILD THAT GENNY IN.. You are looking for a boat fire, for sure...

The suggestion on using an umbrella is absolute gold. Although the manufactures say they must be used in dry conditions, its not %100 true. You just need to ensure the units are not comming into direct contact with pelting rain. On land I have seen someone just put a piece of plywood over the top (balanced on the genny). I don't know the Ryobi specifically, but most of the other units are fan cooled and the fan will suck in rain causing issues. Keep the majority of the rain out and there is not a problem.

We run our Honda 2000 under our bimini all the time (in absolute pouring rain). Although we are on a catamaran and its pretty easy to place it where the exhaust is completely dumped overboard. If you are going to try this with your Ryobi, please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector to ensure you aren't poisening yourself. We have 2 (one in each hull) that give actually readings on the level.

On a completely different note.. Maybe look into some wind generation. Our wind generator usually kicks butt when its raining (usually blowing as well).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:39   #5

Not sure why the gen cant be run in the rain...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:48   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
DO NOT TRY AND BUILD THAT GENNY IN.. You are looking for a boat fire, for sure... ...............
Or a quiet death from carbon monoxide.
Old 22-03-2017, 16:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure why the gen cant be run in the rain...?
The user manual for the Honda EU20i specifically says "Do not operate in rain and snow and do not let it get wet", don't know about the Ryobi though but guessing they would have a similar warning...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:02   #8

Boat: 10' surfboard

Would reducing your power consumption make the generator unnecessary? Maybe a general audit of power use could reveal options to shut things off, and not run things off the inverter as much. the draw on a battery by a typical 110v appliance through an inverter is extraordinary.

It seems like you have monster capacity...

maybe your water heater is like a vampire. AC is insane the amount it uses, just turning these down, not off can yield huge power savings. Not using coffee maker, microwave hair dryer etc can help.

You probably know all this already.

If you install the stand alone generator, I would think you would need a blower, and fire extinguisher set up like a gasoline engine, along with some exhaust and fresh air intake, A small diesel engine install connected to a generator seems incredibly expensive and complicated.

maybe just tighten the belt a little

The umbrella idea seems very clever.

I use a Bialetti esspresso maker, stove top. makes outstanding esspresso and americano, right off any stove. electric coffee maker not needed, and coffee taste much better.

LED bulbs can cut use nicely

Computers and phones can charge of 12v charger, no need to wash it through the inverter.
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:32   #9

Yep, the weather in Sydney has been pretty poor the past few weeks.

We just stick an umbrella over the genny.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:43   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://youtu.be/Yxzl0gOwnKY
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:57   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I need some helpful advice on generating power on cloudy, rainy weeks. For now, I run the main engine to recharge the batteries, which is not healthy for the engine as it is not under load.

Background;

Last four weeks my solar panels 420 Watts have not been up to the task of keeping my 500 amp AGM batteries topped up, as it has been overcast, with rain.

I have a perfectly good 2000 watt Ryobi Generator that I can't use in these weather conditions. (You can only use it on dry days on the deck) and there has not been any of these sunny days in the last four weeks.

Question; is there a way to change the nature of this generator from portable to fixed interior installation, for use in any weather, I know this would entail a way of removing the fumes? Or is there a weather proof box in which I could run it in all weather on deck?

I would like to avoid installing a marine generator if possible, If I'm not able to find a solution for adopting my Ryobi generator then in the worst case I may consider installing a small diesel say 10 hp to 15 hp to run high output alternators.

Any experienced insight on finding a solution would be most helpful, as I live and work on my boat full time.

Many Thanks for considering my request for a solution. Kryg.
Yep, Sydney weather has been crap. Do you live onboard or is the boat used on weekends etc.
I ask because my boat is on a swing mooring in Sydney, weekend use mainly but I keep the fridge running 24/7, along with an alarm system and the 190 watts of solar maintain my 600 A/hour at 13.8 volts + during this weather no problems. If I was living on board, I could see it being difficult.
Having the small Ryobi gen set is probably the easiest option, BUT please don't even try to build it in, way too dangerous, the plastic doghouse referenced in a previous post is, I reckon the bees knees, so much so that I am going to suggest it to a liveaboard near my boat who has the same dilemma.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:08   #12

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

When I needed auxcill to run hydraulics I chose a Kubota from dear harbour on Orcus island They put together a nice combo of DC gen ,watermaker and hydraulic pump for winch. Complete with fr and salt pumps Ht ex and well thought out. Liked it.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Combination of wood and textile does the job. It is called umbrella by non sailors
Thanks, With Rain comes the wind, unfriendly to Umbrellas though I like your idea.
Old 22-03-2017, 18:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I kid you not, there's an elderly couple anchored up the river from us with one of these (similar) on deck, works like a charm with their Honda genny and it’s been raining up here non-stop for a week or so. Obviously only a temp solution in your case, but these guys don’t sail much and pretty much spend all their time in the same spot, they’ve had this set up for quite a while now….
https://www.bunnings.com.au/fido-fle...-home_p3440221
Bow wow, what a simple nice solution and no dog to feed. I will look into it.
Old 22-03-2017, 18:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yep, Sydney weather has been crap. Do you live onboard or is the boat used on weekends etc.
I ask because my boat is on a swing mooring in Sydney, weekend use mainly but I keep the fridge running 24/7, along with an alarm system and the 190 watts of solar maintain my 600 A/hour at 13.8 volts + during this weather no problems. If I was living on board, I could see it being difficult.
Having the small Ryobi gen set is probably the easiest option, BUT please don't even try to build it in, way too dangerous, the plastic doghouse referenced in a previous post is, I reckon the bees knees, so much so that I am going to suggest it to a liveaboard near my boat who has the same dilemma.
I'm renovating my boat, in Pittwater, so mostly I find myself living on it to make progress. However, this also means I use the computer with invertor a lot are well the (Everkool frig is on 24/7 wonderful low power draw by the way). I love the dog house Idea as most of my life I have been in one one why or another. LOL.

Tags
generator