Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57   #1

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel
repower or two repower

Hello everybody. Been awhile since posting. I have always recieved valuable input from CF, so I come again to seek the wisdom of y'all.

I had my stb yanmar 3hm 35 rebuilt 4 years ago, still just fine. Removed port engine for same and am told no go. block & head too far gone.
I cannot seem to find another 3hm35. So i guess i must consider repowering. Still looking for some reasonable deals, probably go fresh water cooled this time. I have SD30 sail drives which are out for diaphram seal replacements. seems that finding a engine match to this sail drive is not easy either.
So if i decide to completly repower port side w/ new saildrive ( considering costs & HP ) is this mixed match an issue? Should I bite the bullet and go all out & do both even though I have a good engine that should last some time? Or should I sell good engine & drive and apply that revenue for repower. We plan to keep boat and start long term cruising within the year. Please no wisecraks, just looking for valuable input to make a wise and cost effective decision.
Also any input on other make engines? I was looking at Beta marine recently at a boat show.
Thanks very much for any advice.
Clif
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:03   #2

Re: repower or two repower

While maybe not preferable, I see no problem with similar hp engines... you have separate controls anyway... I considered repowering with the 35 hp in my cat that had 3GM30's. Reportedly they were a little more robust engine than the GM designs..(?).. but they quit selling them shortly after I decided to rebuild. Not a widely used engine. What's not rebuildable about the bad one?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 16:17   #3

Boat: 10m Catalac, Immanuel

The head is severly pitted, beyond the tolorances of shaving it down a bit. Also the block was found to have severe pitting also where it mated with the head. I am dealing with Mack boring down in Wilmington NC. I have devoloped a trustful relationship with them, so I respect their evaluation.
I had a fracture in the exhaust manifold that I believe was the cause.
I guess all the more reason to go with FWC this time around. They are offering me a good deal on a J series 39hp, but not sure yet if it will match up with my SD30's.
Thanks for the input Cheechako.
I am doing the SD diaprahms myself now that I have one of the sail drives out.
Immanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 16:31   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

IMHO the engines / drives do not have to be the same but it is fine when they are as similar as possible.

I believe having two IDENTICAL engines / drives brings the advantage of fewer spares to carry, etc..

If the engine is used only to enter / leave the marina I would probably do with just one engine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
The head is severly pitted, beyond the tolorances of shaving it down a bit. Also the block was found to have severe pitting also where it mated with the head. I am dealing with Mack boring down in Wilmington NC. I have devoloped a trustful relationship with them, so I respect their evaluation.
I had a fracture in the exhaust manifold that I believe was the cause.
I guess all the more reason to go with FWC this time around. They are offering me a good deal on a J series 39hp, but not sure yet if it will match up with my SD30's.
Thanks for the input Cheechako.
I am doing the SD diaprahms myself now that I have one of the sail drives out.
would less HP save much money? Probably dont need 39 hp in a 36 footer... although it doesnt hurt!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower